Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Power stabilizer jacks don't work

question is there a fuse for the stabilzer jacks? just got camper and they worked at dealer now at home they don't work, everything else works but this. can some one advise???
JRIDENOUR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fuse by battery in a covered green fuse holder?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Side note: I would recommend installing a self resetting circuit breaker
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

I just took my Wildwood 27rkss out on our first trip. I raised the power stabilizers to return home and they worked fine. When I brought the slide in it appeared to be almost all the way in and it stopped. After this the slide or either stabilizer jack would work. I checked all fuses and breakers in the breaker box and all was O.K. I have been all under the unit looking for a fuse or relay and foumd nothing. Any ideas ?
gunrunnertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnertoo View Post
I just took my Wildwood 27rkss out on our first trip. I raised the power stabilizers to return home and they worked fine. When I brought the slide in it appeared to be almost all the way in and it stopped. After this the slide or either stabilizer jack would work. I checked all fuses and breakers in the breaker box and all was O.K. I have been all under the unit looking for a fuse or relay and found nothing. Any ideas ?
Gunrunner,
As others have posted here, there are several pigtail fuse holders located with 18 inches of the battery positive terminal.

They usually control the front landing gear on 5th wheels, main slides and sometimes the power jack/stabilizers on travel trailers.

If you find you have these (they might be hidden behind the battery), we recommend they be replaced with automatic fuses.

I relocated mine to a "buss bar" so I could get to them without removing the battery to change a fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 002.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	11214  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #6

Quote:
I just took my Wildwood 27rkss out on our first trip. I raised the power stabilizers to return home and they worked fine. When I brought the slide in it appeared to be almost all the way in and it stopped. After this the slide or either stabilizer jack would work. I checked all fuses and breakers in the breaker box and all was O.K. I have been all under the unit looking for a fuse or relay and foumd nothing. Any ideas ?
Here is some Info that maybe of help to you from another thread I was helping someone with their electrical issue - they called the dealer and the dealer told them where the fuse was for the three systems - the slide, electric awning, and electric jacks in his 2012 Salem KQBSS
Here is how he resolved it:
Isuue is resolved!!! Apparently the 3 systems I was having issue with are all on the same 20 amp inline fuse that is located behind a panel under the fridge.

Maybe this is your issue as well
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I have power stabilizers in the rear of my 5th wheel. There is a marked fuse in the panel for it. Having said that there are 4 unmarked pigtail fuses behind the power panel for circuits that don't fit into the main panel.

If all three of these items are on one fuse, one solution would be to buy 15 amp pigtails and make 3 individual circuits out of the one.

Another option would be to replace the single blow 20 amp fuse with an automatic resetting one like those below.

The top photo is an auto-resetting fuse right next to the stabilizer switch inside the cabinet in my 5th wheel. It is in addition to the the 15 amp fuse in the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hidden circuit protection rear stabilizers.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	11237  
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #8

I want to thank all of you for your responses. To answer one of your questions, there are no fuses on the panel that are marked slide or stabilizers. I didn't find any inline fuses around the battery. I think my next thing to try will be to remove the breaker box and see if there are any inline fuse holders there. I just retired from farming and I probably did 99% of my tractor, truck, and machinery repairs, but this is a whole new ball game!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #9

Quote:
I want to thank all of you for your responses. To answer one of your questions, there are no fuses on the panel that are marked slide or stabilizers. I didn't find any inline fuses around the battery. I think my next thing to try will be to remove the breaker box and see if there are any inline fuse holders there. I just retired from farming and I probably did 99% of my tractor, truck, and machinery repairs, but this is a whole new ball game!
or before going to that extent or removing the breaker box - call your dealer or even one of the factory reps and ask the location of the fuse that controls those devices - you are probably not the first person to ask this question
silly question but did you look thru any of the manuals you got with the camper - maybe by chance they have a section that states where that fuse is - wishful thinking here though
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #10

I contacted my dealer about the problem but they had no idea where the fuse is. They said the man I needed to talk to was gone and they would give me a call Monday. I also looked through the material that came with the camper and found no help. I can understand why there is no infomation on the power stabilizers because they were not even mentioned as an option.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Gunrunner,

You have a travel trailer right? Maybe a travel trailer user here can chime in with a better vector on where the pigtail fuse(s) are for your slide(s). They are supposed to be located within 18 inches of the battery and right after the main 30 amp DC current limiter (on the way to the converter).
Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #12

With some advice from my dealer I finally resolved my problem with my slide, awning, and stabilizers not working by using their respective switches. The remote would work all three systems. The advise that one of you guys gave me was close. The panel that covered my system control was not under the fridge but under my range. The service man at the dealer told me to take my remote and in a quiet environment go along the cabinets and click the remote while having it set to turn on the outside light. The reason for using the light function is because it does not make any noise. If you listen you can hear the unit click as you use the remote. The panel on my unit was simply a piece of paneling with a screw in each end. The remedy I am about to share WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY ! So if you use it let me tell you how you might do it.Take a 20 amp curcuit breaker(or whatever size your fuse happens to be) attach 2 wires about 3 inches long, one from each post by using 2 clamp on terminal connectors with the proper size hole.On the other end of the wires fasten a connector with a blade type end as used in a male-female setup used to connect 2 wires together.Then use a file, electric grinder or whatever else you have handy to grind the blades down to the width of the blade on a plug in fuse.Then plug each of the blades into the slots in the fuse holder you removed the blown fuse from. This way if you need warranty work done all you have to do is unplug the curcuit breaker and plug in a fuse.The reason my panel was in a different location was probably because my unit is a Wildwood 27RKSS.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Gunrunner,

There are automatic resetting fuses available in most amperage ratings for under a buck at most auto stores.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #14

Great idea, preventive maint is always good way to go.
germainesaint is offline   Reply With Quote