Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #121

A transfer switch does exactly what it sounds like it does.... It redirects all the power coming into your rig to the various devices through out your rig.... By placing the surge protector between the transfer switch and the spot where you plug your power cord in, the surge protected checks everything before it allows the power into your rig..

If you don't have a transfer switch , then place your surge protector inside your rig on the rig side of your power plug... (The female end)

Old 06-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #122

OK, here's the deal.

I can't find a Transfer Switch, and book doesn't mention it. But I must have that function in the Converter Box (maybe that's the same thing??). Because it does that automatically......just senses where power is from and sends power that way.

However, the converter box is under the reefer on the passenger side of camper. The power cord receptacle is on the driver side behind the slide. I see no way to access either the converter box (without unscrewing and trying to get behind it) or the power cord at any place inside the trailer.

So while I can see the advantage of having it inside, I'm going to consider just getting one for plugging into the cord. However, I'm not camping anytime in next week or more, so I think I will call the dealer's tech and see what he says before I buy one.

So, I'm going to get one........it's just whether I wire it in or plug it in.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917
A transfer switch does exactly what it sounds like it does.... It redirects all the power coming into your rig to the various devices through out your rig.... By placing the surge protector between the transfer switch and the spot where you plug your power cord in, the surge protected checks everything before it allows the power into your rig..

If you don't have a transfer switch , then place your surge protector inside your rig on the rig side of your power plug... (The female end)
Just curious, but has anyone ever checked NEC, RVIA or other electrical code requirements for installing these high energy devices inside the confines of a motor home or other RV? I think on the pole they are ok but thought I noted one time, one or the other forbids tranformer mounted inside. Just note they don't fit or option them from the factory? I hink Prevost adds something, not sure of design though.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #124

NO.

A transfer switch is used when you have a generator built into your RV. It's what controls whether your RV is powered from shore power or generator power. If you don't have a built-in generator (not likely that you do) then you DON'T have a transfer switch.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Just curious, but has anyone ever checked NEC, RVIA or other electrical code requirements for installing these high energy devices inside the confines of a motor home or other RV? I think on the pole they are ok but thought I noted one time, one or the other forbids tranformer mounted inside. Just note they don't fit or option them from the factory? I hink Prevost adds something, not sure of design though.
There is no big transformer inside a PI EMS unit, and yes, they are UL certified for mounting inside the RV. You're thinking about a "Voltage Booster", where I've also heard that they aren't supposed to be mounted inside.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
You guys have sold me on getting one. But I feel like a first grader in an Algebra class.

I don't know if I have a "transfer switch" or not. Guess it's time to go read the manual (though from what I've seen so far of it, I'm not impressed). If I have one, not sure where it is. I'd rather have the PI unit inside, but am NO electrician! And not sure why finding a transfer switch keeps me from cutting and wiring.....but I'm all ears.
If you buy the Hardwired unit, you should have your dealer install it. It doesn't sound like you have the skills to do it.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #127

You figured me out fast!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #128
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
There is no big transformer inside a PI EMS unit, and yes, they are UL certified for mounting inside the RV. You're thinking about a "Voltage Booster", where I've also heard that they aren't supposed to be mounted inside.
Any idea why that would be?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #129

I Purchased the PI model EMS-PT30C after reading posts on this forum. I bought the plug-in style so I could use it on my shop trailer also. I use a cable lock at the pedastal to keep "Honest People Honest" .

This is the best reason to have the protection: Memorial weekend we had a group camping in two spots with power. Each of the two pedastals had (2) 30amp and (2) 15 amp outlets. We plugged in 4 Rvs to the 30 amp outlets all had some type of protection (3) had PI models. I noticed that the voltage available kept dropping as the weekend went by and the campground filled. We had a refirigerator(converted to keg cooler) pluged into one of the 110 outlets. Beer flowed freely until suday when all of the PI EMS units shut the power down to the RV's. The motor on the Keg o Rater did not fare so well. . Luckily We still had full ice chests.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (4)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #130
Site Team - Lou

Another Ad for the Frank's Electronics Autotransformer.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote