Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Herk.
If I am understanding this correctly, the Frank's Unit will protect against surges and low voltage. It also will power down the RV if conditions are bad and auto restart the power when conditions return to good. In addition, the Frank's Unit will boost power during low voltage times, resulting in fewer interruptions. Is that correct?
Yep. Exactly. Worth every penny in my opinion.
It has saved several vacations already.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #42
MI Camperz

Thanks a million! This is difficult fare for me (electric stuff). I wonder if I can return the P.I. unit to CW when it arrives. I did not get the extended warranty, but it will be unopened.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #43
Full Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPhil View Post
Has anyone had any or heard of any theft problems of the surge protectors?
I haven't heard of it but I think the portable units could that it why I went with the hard wired progressive.

I looked at the to basic website of the Franks booster, I went with the Progressive because I think beside low and high voltage problems my biggest worry was reverse polarity, open neutrals, open grounds, and plugs that are wired for 240. Those have been my electric hookup problems over the years. Franks has no information as to if his protects for those problems. Does anyone know for sure and have it in writing if it does?

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #44
MI Camperz

I believe Herk would know. He seems to have a lot of advanced knowledge in this area, and on Frank's specifically. I bet if you PM him, he'll answer.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #45
Site Team - Lou

No need to PM. The Franks Autotransformer does check for proper wiring and voltage as part of its basic functions. Admittedly it does not have the visual doodads of the fancy display to let you know everything is OK; it just lets the power through or it doesn't. There are 3 LEDs that provide information regards to the boost status, polarity and ground fault, and "power good."

Any questions you have can be directed to Frank at his cell pone number.
Herk

I also have a photo of it catching a 30 amp pedestal that was putting out 180 volts from a 30 amp 120volt outlet due to a failed line transformer.
I will find it and post it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1067.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	28739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1069.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	28740   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1398.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	28753  

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by life2short4nofun View Post
I looked at the too basic website of the Franks booster, I went with the Progressive because I think beside low and high voltage problems my biggest worry was reverse polarity, open neutrals, open grounds, and plugs that are wired for 240. Those have been my electric hookup problems over the years. Franks has no information as to if his protects for those problems. Does anyone know for sure and have it in writing if it does?

It bugs me that Franks doesn't have any useful information on his website too. And it sounds like Lou has just confirmed that the Franks gives no indication when the fuses in-series with the MOV spike suppressors are blown, so after a while, you may have no spike (lightening) protection and won't even know it. (That's the E10 code on PI.)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #47
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
And it sounds like Lou has just confirmed that the Franks gives no indication when the fuses in-series with the MOV spike suppressors are blown, so after a while, you may have no spike (lightening) protection and won't even know it. (That's the E10 code on PI.)
Barry, how did I do that?

My understanding is that is all is OK, the green light is on.
If it is off, something is wrong with the incoming power or the Franks unit itself. In either case, the camper is protected.

MOVs are not the only way to protect against energy transients. In fact MOV technology is is just one of seven commonly used energy transient protection strategies.

Voltage spike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Surge protector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Franks Electronics unit uses surge protection technology that is proprietary to his devices (read - He won't tell which one he is using) and has extremely high thresholds of suppression:

INTEGRAL SURGE PROTECTION - The highest available of all autotransformers out there and higher than most stand alone surge protectors.

30 amp unit - 3500 Joules
50 amp unit - 7000 Joules
100 amp unit - 9,000 Joules

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #48

Lou,
ok. I guess I read too much into your post. Next time you talk with the big man, I'd appreciate it if you'd verify that he turns the green light off for blown internal fuses (if it has any). (Don't know how you can say the camper is protected if the green light is off; if there's something wrong, there's something wrong.)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #49
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Lou,
ok. I guess I read too much into your post. Next time you talk with the big man, I'd appreciate it if you'd verify that he turns the green light off for blown internal fuses (if it has any). (Don't know how you can say the camper is protected if the green light is off; if there's something wrong, there's something wrong.)
Just got off the phone with Frank. His units do not use MOV technology at all.

Energy transients are handled by the auto resetting circuit/voltage protection and the integral autotransformer itself that acts like a giant shock absorber (a MONSTER inductor). The heavy transformer is not used in Plain Jane surge protectors who only use semiconductors for protection.

The Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) was avoided in the design of the Franks Autotransformer due to their "one shot" nature. Once they blow you are done. The unit needs to be shipped in to be repaired or replaced.

The Franks Autotransformer can handle an unlimited amount of transients as long as they remain under the posted Joule limit for that size autotransformer.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #50
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
(Don't know how you can say the camper is protected if the green light is off; if there's something wrong, there's something wrong.)
If the green light is off, NO power will reach your camper as the internal relays are open.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW