Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Power Trailer 100' Away From Box

I own a lot at a campground. Our trailer stays down there permanently. We had been using several 30-amp extension cords to power it (all borrowed). I need about 100 feet of cord to get to the trailer. I looked up how much this would cost for a extension cord and it is rather expensive. I have a buddy that is an electrician and he can get the right wire all I need to do is add the male and female plugs. Has anyone ever done this before? Any Insight or suggestions?
wilderness503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness503
I own a lot at a campground. Our trailer stays down there permanently. We had been using several 30-amp extension cords to power it (all borrowed). I need about 100 feet of cord to get to the trailer. I looked up how much this would cost for a extension cord and it is rather expensive. I have a buddy that is an electrician and he can get the right wire all I need to do is add the male and female plugs. Has anyone ever done this before? Any Insight or suggestions?
I'd be very very careful going one hundred feet!
I think if you pm herk7769 he has a chart for cord lengths and size of wire for the amps you need.

I hate to say it but your going to have to spend some cash to do it right. Do not skimp here it will only cost you more down the road!
Jmo.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #3

Is 100' dangerous?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Is 100' dangerous?
Only if you don't use the appropriate sized cord for the length of run and amps being used.

Low voltage and heat will be an issue if the cord isn't big enough to handle the amps.

In turn you'll have low voltage to your trailer and could very well ha rm your electronics such as.
A/c
T.v.
Microwave
Converter
Fridge
Hw heater

Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

I used a put together system that went well over 100', but it was only for a couple of days and we didn't really use much actual electricity. We were able to run our AC and radio and a couple of other outlets (phone charging and such). But it was not extensive use by any means. I sure wouldn't do something like that for a long term thing.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

With the proper size wire, you shouldn't have any trouble. If you own the lot, I would trench a new post closer to where you park. Using underground wire will be much cheaper than buying an extension cord.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #7

10 gauge copper would be normal 30 amp wire. You would want to run an 8 gauge copper wire. This would give you a tolerable 3.8% voltage drop for 100' of wire @30 amps.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #8

Question... If you have an electrician friend why are you asking this here?

I would like to know if your plugging in at or near the panel or into a 30A outlet? If its the 30A outlet how far away is the panel from it? Tolerable voltage drop is 5% on any run.

If I owned the place I would install 4/6 to a pedestal with a 50/30/20A set up, if the campsite would allow this... think of it as a investment.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #9

I do own the land. There is a breaker box at the front of the property with a 30 amp outlet. We had a trailer there before and it was hardwired into the breaker box. The old trailer was in the same location as the new one which is about 100' away from the box. We never had an issue with the way it was before but I did not hook it up so I'm not sure how they did it. The wire that was there has been removed because I had the land cleared, the old trailer was a complete mess, and the electrical wire was taken away. I posted the question here because I thought you guys would have more experience with this sort of thing then my friend who does not own a trailer. Since it is a permanent location I wanted to bury the wire. My idea was to have a line coming from the original breaker box to a dedicated outlet near the trailer then use the trailer’s 30 amp cord to plug into the new outlet.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness503 View Post
I do own the land. Since it is a permanent location I wanted to bury the wire. My idea was to have a line coming from the original breaker box to a dedicated outlet near the trailer then use the trailer’s 30 amp cord to plug into the new outlet.
This would be the best bet!

I would run a 6/3 w/ground wire min. as suggested then and do it right with a 50/30/20 amp hook up. If this is too expensive, running a 8/2 w/ground would work, if you can swing a few extra bucks go with a 6/2 w/ground to reduce voltage drop even more.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
I posted the question here because I thought you guys would have more experience with this sort of thing then my friend who does not own a trailer. Since it is a permanent location I wanted to bury the wire. My idea was to have a line coming from the original breaker box to a dedicated outlet near the trailer then use the trailer’s 30 amp cord to plug into the new outlet.
No worries, my thinking was the load should make no difference (trailer, hot tub etc). You have a couple options, direct burial or rigid PVC & wire with the later I think being the cheapest. You could always up the conduit size for the future and still pull in the 30 now.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Only if you don't use the appropriate sized cord for the length of run and amps being used.

Low voltage and heat will be an issue if the cord isn't big enough to handle the amps.

In turn you'll have low voltage to your trailer and could very well ha rm your electronics such as.
A/c
T.v.
Microwave
Converter
Fridge
Hw heater

Ron
Use this:Voltage Drop Calculator
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #13

I just called my buddy and he said all he can get me right now is 10 gauge. He said he can get me 8 gauge next month. We are supposed to go down this weekend. Typically we only use the lights and a TV, possible the microwave but just to heat up the baby’s milk. Do you think I could get away with the 10 gauge this weekend then next month wire it up right?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

I had some what of the same issue and had an electrician come out and look at it with him knowing that I was not going to hire him to do the job. We both agreed that trenching and installing an underground cable was well worth the price of someone tripping over the cord and the resulting damage and or cutting it with a lawn mower or weed eater. I dug the trench and laid the conduit, installed the head and pulled the wire and then paid $100.00 buck to have an electrician come in and make the connections. Have to say I don't ever think about it and I would have worried about the other set up. Now I just have to extend the sewer line. Life is hard. Good luck with that project.
Cmmjmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness503 View Post
I just called my buddy and he said all he can get me right now is 10 gauge. He said he can get me 8 gauge next month. We are supposed to go down this weekend. Typically we only use the lights and a TV, possible the microwave but just to heat up the baby’s milk. Do you think I could get away with the 10 gauge this weekend then next month wire it up right?
If it were me, I would use the 10 ga this month and go for the 8 ga next month as a permanent fix.