Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 04:22 AM   #1

Pre wired for AC or Fan?

Does anyone know where I can get a schematic of the wiring for my 2012 312BHX? Or know if its pre wired for an AC or fan in the front bedroom? TIA
WreckingballPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:40 AM   #2

It would seem to me that if it wired for A/C, the 2nd A/C would need a 50A service. You should be able to at least get a hint by which service your rv currently has, a 30A (i-A/C unit) service or a 50A (2- A/C units). My Wildcat MAXX is wired for a second A/C unit and came from the factory with a 50A service.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
It would seem to me that if it wired for A/C, the 2nd A/C would need a 50A service. You should be able to at least get a hint by which service your rv currently has, a 30A (i-A/C unit) service or a 50A (2- A/C units). My Wildcat MAXX is wired for a second A/C unit and came from the factory with a 50A service.
It's only 30 amp service. But I would like to add a maxxair or fantastic fan to the front bedroom.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:05 AM   #4

I would think you could find a phone number for Wildcat MAXX customer service, provide them with your VIN and they should have "as built" records which will answer your question.
OR, pull the fan out and the wiring that's present will also tell you if you have 120V or 12V wiring at that location.
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 08-17-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Doubt it is wired for an A/C. However it is very easy to check for 12 volt, just pull the inside trim for the existing vent and see if there is a wire tucked up in there somewhere. If not, is there a nearby ceiling light? Depending on how it is wired you may be able to grab power from there.

As far as getting a schematic, it is hit or miss in the RV world. Some manufacturers are happy to share them with you, others won't. In some cases I am not sure they even have any to share.

Best bet would be to email customer service with your VIN and make the request.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckingballPi View Post
It's only 30 amp service. But I would like to add a maxxair or fantastic fan to the front bedroom.
I'm a bit confused as I read your last post. I thought you wanted to add a 2nd A/C unit. This last post indicates you wish to add a 12V fan, is that correct? If that's correct, I would expect that you would have at least 12V wiring to that vent location. As I said earlier, pulling the vent will expose the wiring present and you can go from there!
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 08-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I'm a bit confused as I read your last post. I thought you wanted to add a 2nd A/C unit. This last post indicates you wish to add a 12V fan, is that correct? If that's correct, I would expect that you would have at least 12V wiring to that vent location. As I said earlier, pulling the vent will expose the wiring present and you can go from there!
I would be happy doing either, more practical would probably be the fan. I should have mentioned that there currently is NO vent or anything there now. So no trim to pull to check.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
Site Team

If there is no vent, odds are that you do not have any wiring to the location you are looking for. If you have lights under cabinets in the area or ceiling lights that are operated by a switch on the fixture, you can run the wiring from there and cover with self adhesive wire channel

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Doubt it is wired for an A/C. However it is very easy to check for 12 volt, just pull the inside trim for the existing vent and see if there is a wire tucked up in there somewhere. If not, is there a nearby ceiling light? Depending on how it is wired you may be able to grab power from there.
If you do "grab power" from an arbitrary set of wires (as I have done), be sure to install an inline fuse with your fan. You won't know how the wires are fused and need to make sure you have protection. A 5-amp fuse would be adequate for most fans, if there's no recommendation on the fan.

When I did this on our 2002, there was no pre-existing fan wiring. I groped around in the insulation and found a pair. It didn't have power (or was switched). I groped further and found another pair that had 12v and tapped that pair.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #10

I have a 30A Crusader Lite that came with one 15K AC that cannot cool our trailer in this southern heat and humidity. In our bedroom there was a skylight but not wiring of any kind. We removed the skylight, installed another 15K AC unit with ceiling controls and wired it through a 20A circuit breaker with another 30A power cable. I have a 50A Y adapter that splits into two 30A connectors. I have one power cord running to the trailers original 30A connection and the other cord runs to the 30A connection I installed. I also installed two Honda 2200 watt generators wired parallel that will run one AC, we can stay overnight in areas such as Walmart and still enjoy our AC. If you do decide to go this route, you may have to beef your roof up some to support the weight of the AC unit, I did mine from the inside.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan