Old 05-26-2016, 01:05 AM   #1

Predator 2500w Inverter Generator Report

I purchased a 2500 watt peak/2200 watt continuous rated inverter generator a couple days ago, and have been going through the break-in period the last couple days. Tonight, it was 83 degrees outside, at about 1000 feet above sea level here in Kansas. I have about 15 hours on the generator, so I decided that it would be a good time to try out the 13.5k BTU A/C on my Rockwood Mini Lite 1809.

I switched the converter, and all other breakers for the trailer off, and then switched the A/C to fan only mode. After ten seconds, I switched the A/C to cool. The generator revved up to full power, and the voltage meter dropped to about 105 for a split second, but the compressor did start, and voltage recovered immediately afterwards. With the compressor running, I was able to switch the converter back on, and the generator pulled it fine.

I also did some informal noise level testing. I set the generator at the front of the trailer next to the water heater, and stood near the back bumper with my phone running a sound level application. At idle, it read 55 decibels. Since my 1809 is 20'1" long tongue to bumper, I'm estimating that I was 16 feet away. With the A/C running and the converter running, it was holding steady at 62 decibels. I could still hold a conversation pretty easily over the noise. Inside the trailer, with the AC running on medium fan, I could not even hear the generator running.

If anyone has any questions, ask away, and I will answer as best I can. I couldn't find much info on this generator, so I'd love to help if I can!

KansasJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #2

Hi, I noticed this post is from May do you have any updates on how your Predator 2500 fared over the summer? I just purchased one this past weekend, Harbor Freight came out with a new 2000 watt inverter generator so the 2500 was on clearance at my store for $347 (the new one is currently $499). I rolled the dice and picked one up. I too have a 13500 btu air conditioner on my Flagstaff Shamrock, so your initial test on starting the AC was surprising to me, I didn't think it would be able to handle it.

So far so good, I oiled and gassed mine up and it started on the first pull (after priming per the instructions with 20 slow pulls). Ive been running it a few hours each day with no load to break it it, every day so far starts on the first pull, I hope it keeps up like this over time. Thanks

Old 10-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #3

Over the summer, the generator worked great! In fact, I just used it two weeks ago while parked at Walmart overnight in 85 degree weather.

I filled it with gas just before I went to bed, and when I woke up 6 hours later, it was still running, but I don't think it would have run for much longer, as the tank was just about dry. Mine still starts either the first or second pull every time, and I have probably around 50 hours on mine thus far. It will happily run the microwave and the air conditioner on fan-only mode as well. Just make sure all your circuit breakers are off when starting the A/C, as it can't handle anything else while starting it. After the A/C is running, you SHOULD be able to switch your converter back on after about a minute to let the generator recover. The only time I couldn't run the A/C and the converter at the same time was during a 90 degree day in Dillon, Colorado at 9100 feet elevation. It would still surprisingly run the A/C at that altitude, but it could not run the converter at the same time.

When it comes time to change the oil, get a drop cloth ready. The oil drain plug is on the bottom of the generator, and it is a very messy job. My recommendation is grab some gloves, a drop cloth, and a beer and go to it. It's still an easy job, but a bit messy. Also make sure the gas tank is empty before you do it, as the cap doesn't always seal 100%, and you may spill gas in the process of draining the oil. (Ask me how I know!)

Let me know if you have any more questions, I will do my best to answer them!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

Great to hear thanks for the response. No other questions from me just itching to get out and use it. I just got back from a trip where I tried to keep my battery charged with a solar panel and I didn't have a strong enough panel to keep up but this should solve that problem. Ok 1 question, this isn't a generator specific but what do you use to secure yours? I've seen chains, what look like bicycle locks, I'm sure there are a million options.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #5

When in use, typically lock the generator either to the trailer tongue with the exhaust facing away from the unit, or I will lock it to my nerf bars on my truck. I'm using a Guard Security lock I picked up on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Guard-Securit...uty+chain+lock

With a Master Lock round padlock I bought at Walmart. Certainly wouldn't stop a determined thief, but if someone wants something bad enough, they're going to get it no matter what, given enough time and tools. All we can do is make it a little more difficult. I run my chain lock through the handle on top of the generator.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasJohn View Post
When in use, typically lock the generator either to the trailer tongue with the exhaust facing away from the unit, or I will lock it to my nerf bars on my truck. I'm using a Guard Security lock I picked up on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Guard-Securit...uty+chain+lock

With a Master Lock round padlock I bought at Walmart. Certainly wouldn't stop a determined thief, but if someone wants something bad enough, they're going to get it no matter what, given enough time and tools. All we can do is make it a little more difficult. I run my chain lock through the handle on top of the generator.
I've also used the safety chains on the tongue to chain my generator. You only need a pad lock or just thread it back into your coupler lock. This works for bikes as well.

Tags
500, generator, inverter