Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Proper Battery Charger?

Let me preface my situation:

Came from a 30 amp 16' TT to a 50 amp 37' 5'er. My wall outlet goes into a fit when I plug it in to my 5'er. Unfortunately in my garage I only have 14awg with a 15 amp breaker. Until I actually fix this my only other option to charge my trailer battery is to attach a battery charger plugged in from the wall. I'm assuming my garage outlet/50' extension cord/into 15amp/30amp/50amp adapter is not the way to go.

My other issue. I plugged in a 1.5amp battery charger that works great for my motorcycles and lawnmower to a full charge. However, it appears that it will charge the 5'er battery up from a 1/3 status to a 2/3 status and stall. I know I need to measure it more accurately but just using the onboard battery checker inside the unit for now.

Can I conclude that a 5amp or even a 10amp battery charger will actually do the job to a full charge? If so then I will go and buy one.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Adding a 50A breaker and 50A service to a 50A plug on the outside of your garage should be a relatively inexpensive job for an electrician just tell him/her it is for an RV. In the mean time, even though I have an full current capable RV plug on the side of my garage, I only use it to prep the TT for trips. When storing between trips and over winter, it is unplugged and I run a Battery tender ( link below) which keeps the battery changed but does not boil the electrolyte.

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0156 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger True Gel Cell Model: Automotive

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #3

For the best information we would need to know the type and capacity of the battery/ies you have.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

on charging the 5er , tu rn off water heater and all other 110v not used, the 15amp breaker wount handle all, then see if the battery comes to full charge keep in mind the voltage drop from 50 ft cord doesn't help the 15amp breaker, as for the motor cycle charger ,where is it pluged in to? separate cord or 5er and what voltage is it putting out? also keep in mind the battery could be suspect,and maybe don't trust the on board indicators good luck
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
For the best information we would need to know the type and capacity of the battery/ies you have.
Going to find out the battery capacity. It's only one 12v, but will get other specs.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

I don't know if the RV charger is a quality Smart 3/4 Stage Charger or a quality more expensive Inverter/Charger (sort of doubt that if its the original equipment) or a cheaper Converter Charger or its amp capacity, so I cant speculate on how well or how fast it will charge your house battery.

That being said, if you turn off everything in the RV except for the Charger circuit and plug the RV into a standard 15 amp 120 volt house outlet even with 50 ft of cord and adapters it could (subject to Charger size and current draw) still sufficiently charge the RV house battery eventually. If its a cheaper Converter/Charger it will take longer,,,,,,,,,If its a Smart 3/4 Stage Charger it can charge it faster SO LONG AS ITS CURRENT DRAW DOESNT EXCEED YOUR 15 AMP SOURCE AND A LONG CORD CAPACITY.

TRICKLE CHARGER OR BATTERY MAINTAINER OPERATION

Those are usually very low amp units, maybe 1 or 2 amps and I see no problem using a 15 amp receptacle and 50 ft of cord to operate it. However if the RV battery is badly depleted it could take a longgggggggggg time to bring it to a full charge and even if so its NOT the quality and complete level of true full charge a Smart charger could achieve. Those are more for battery maintenance over winter or long storage periods then they are as real battery "chargers"

I would guess the RV's built in Converter Charger (even if original and NOT a Smart Charger) will do a much better job as its likely at least a 30 or more amp unit then a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger battery maintainer PROVIDED THE 15 AMP CIRCUIT AND CORDS HANDLE IT which I think will if all else in the RV is off.

John T Long retired electrical engineer so no warranty
OldJohnT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery