Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

Quality of Continental batteries?

Does anybody have an opinion of the quality of Continental batteries? Our 5er came equipped with two 12 volt RV/marine Continentals and was wondering if I should replace them. I have used only Interstate in the past and have no experience with the Continentals. We purchased our RV a little over a year ago and I checked the batteries under load this morning at 13.3 volts.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ranger View Post
Does anybody have an opinion of the quality of Continental batteries? Our 5er came equipped with two 12 volt RV/marine Continentals and was wondering if I should replace them. I have used only Interstate in the past and have no experience with the Continentals. We purchased our RV a little over a year ago and I checked the batteries under load this morning at 13.3 volts.
From what I can find on Continental Battery they are now just a distributor that more likely than not just re-brand batteries made by Johonson Controls, East Penn, Exide, or one of the super large manufacturers left in the industry.

They're probably as good as any other Marine/RV "Deep Cycle" battery. I'd use them as long as they last, making sure to recharge when 50% discharged, keep electrolyte levels up, and in the meanwhile set aside a few bucks a month so you can upgrade to your choice of two 6 volt True Deep Cycle batteries or maybe even a couple of the new Lithium batteries.

FWIW, I've always used a pair of 12V Deep Cycle batteries (usually something made by Johnson Controls) and by keeping on top of the amount I discharge them before re-charging, regular terminal cleaning and electolyte checks, I get no less than 3 years on them and some have lasted over 6.

Climate can also affect the life of these batteries. Hot climate, less life. Cool/Moderate climate, better life.

I wouldn't replace them until you find that they are losing capacity. A good battery monitor will help you wring a lot of life out of the batteries by giving you a clear indication of when it's time to recharge.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #3

What Titan said ^^^^

No sense discarding perfectly good batteries....

If you boondock a lot you might give further consideration to swapping them our for a pair of 6 volt true deep cycle golf cart batteries, if not, I would ride them out...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #4

Thanks TitanMike. That sounds a good plan.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks TitanMike. That sounds a good plan.
I'd like to emphasize the suggestion you get a good battery monitor. A Xantrex or Victron battery monitor will be money well spent. I installed a Victron in my trailer and I don't even bother to use the factory installed LED battery indicator. Tells me what power draw I have on my batteries and kind of tells me at night to turn unused lights off. The Victron also tells me how many days or hours left on the batteries based on what I am currently drawing.

Also tells me when I've recharged to 100% when running generator and it's time to shut it down.

It cost me a couple hundred bucks but I figure that over it's life (or what life I have left) it will more than pay for itself in extended battery life.

BTW, I'm a hard core "Boondocker". Was camping for the month of January this year and out of the month on the road I spent a total of 5 days in campgrounds with hookups. Spaced well enough to dump my tanks, fill with fresh water, top off batteries, and do some laundry.

The two batteries that came with the trailer I took delivery of in July 2017 are still going strong and every cell tests good when I take time to test with hydrometer. Probably won't have to replace this year either and they have been USED WELL.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestion of a battery monitor. I've considered getting one but not in the budget at this time. We used to boondock a lot more but now it will probably be only for 2-3 days at a time. The residential refer is pretty hard on the batteries. I do have the two Honda companion generators to keep batteries charged but our biggest issue now is traveling. If we spend more than a couple days on the road it draws the batteries down pretty far unless I pull out one of the generators to charge them. I know there are a few options to increase the charge from the truck but it may be beyond my capability. Auto electronics are not my strong point.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion of a battery monitor. I've considered getting one but not in the budget at this time. We used to boondock a lot more but now it will probably be only for 2-3 days at a time. The residential refer is pretty hard on the batteries. I do have the two Honda companion generators to keep batteries charged but our biggest issue now is traveling. If we spend more than a couple days on the road it draws the batteries down pretty far unless I pull out one of the generators to charge them. I know there are a few options to increase the charge from the truck but it may be beyond my capability. Auto electronics are not my strong point.
Regardless of batteries and capacity, you'll have the same problem if you're running a refrigerator. Re-charging batteries will be necessary every day.

As for a more "Heavy Duty" charging system from your tow vehicle consider looking at a electric winch wiring kit for a car trailer. Amazon sells them and they consist of some heavy gauge wire that runs from battery to rear bumper. It's terminated with an Anderson Connector (like used on electric forklifts) and another shorter pair of wires with mating connector that's connected to the trailer battery. Made for trailers that have a winch mounted on them and are of a heavy enough gauge wire that the charging current remains high with little voltage drop.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #8

Even larger gauge wire may not help completely. The ultimate way to increase charge to the trailer batteries is a DC to DC converter like the Sterling.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips guys. Time to do a little research now.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #10

Easy Check of Capacity

Over too many years of shopping batteries, I was told that a fair and reliable way to judge the worth of a Storage battery is by weight. Look at manufacturer's spec sheets for the "wet weight" and make a list for your own enlightenment, showing weight vs amp hour capacity. It might be eye opening, but of course, it could be pretty hard to compare, as many brands now have very light weight polypropylene cases. But at least it will get you in the ball park!
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
Over too many years of shopping batteries, I was told that a fair and reliable way to judge the worth of a Storage battery is by weight.
No...a starting battery will weigh the same. It just has more thinner plates.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #12

I've got a pair of Continental batteries in my Chevy 2500HD... they're about 4 years old now, started it right up at 5°F this winter just on glow plugs only, no block heat.

I'd at least say the ones I've got are good.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #13

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to keep the Continental batteries and get a good battery monitor. It's the least expensive option and a more permanent solution to my concerns.

Tags
batteries, quality