Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I can't explain why your dad's batteries would charge that fast. I would guess that the 15 minutes your dad uses to charge his batteries is applying a surface charge only. I know it takes hours for my batteries to charge from 50%. Even when I had a group 27 on an old camper, it would take hours for the absorption charge and hours longer after it hits about 90% charged.
That is easy. It takes about 15 minutes of charge to bring a battery that is under 12 volts to read more than 12 volts. That is NOT "charged."

There is no "capacity" replacement when you do that and it destroys batteries as it counts as a charge/discharge "cycle" of which there is a limited amount in a new battery.

"It works" is not the same as "its smart."

In fact in this graph you can see the sharp upward spike when you first put the charger on the battery. In order to replace AH capacity the charger must stay on for hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	12456  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
Another rat in the race

That's good to know I have only had this trailer since Nov '11 and hadn't thought much about the Electrical system on it yet. with the exception that it had NO 12VDC jacks anywhere on it. Now it has them everywhere.

My old Tent trailer didn't have a charger on its converter so we added one, glad to see that has changed.

Batteries seem to be one of those hot button topics like oil to a motorcycle forum.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
In fact in this graph you can see the sharp upward spike when you first put the charger on the battery. In order to replace AH capacity the charger must stay on for hours.
Thanks again to the Herkbrary!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #24

Just trying to get my head around why your switch enables you to use the first *or* second battery? I understand off/on but why would you want to only use one or the other battery singularly when using with an RV?
MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInColo View Post
Just trying to get my head around why your switch enables you to use the first *or* second battery? I understand off/on but why would you want to only use one or the other battery singularly when using with an RV?
This will be required if you have two batteries that were not bought and placed in service at exactly the same time.

This way you can charge each battery individually and when in use get all that each is able to give.

When pairing batteries that are different in age, internal resistance, cycle life (place in service date and number of actual charge discharge cycles)) , or manufacture, one battery will be the "stronger" battery and one will be the "weaker" battery. The batteries will not charge properly; one will work much harder than the other; and both will operate at reduced capacity. Eventually both will fail much earlier than if they were used individually.

Battery pairs must be changed out at the same time. When you want two batteries in your camper, they need to be as identical as possible.

IF you can't do that for some reason, using a selector switch to use them one after the other is your only choice to get maximum life from your house batteries.

Practical considerations : BATTERIES AND POWER SYSTEMS

Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Parralell Connections.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	12640  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Taking care of Deep Discharge Batteries.pdf (7.44 MB, 22 views)
File Type: docx How to correctly interconnect multiple batteries to form one larger bank.docx (45.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf Trojan battery user guide.pdf (548.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf The 12 volt Side of Life.pdf (438.4 KB, 42 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery