Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Question about battery disconnect switch

We are new to RV camping and have purchased a 2005 Coachmen Concord B+, which came with just a make shift manual with not much info!! If battery disconnect switch is off, and plug into shore power, the light comes back on at the disconnect switch. Someone at Camping World said battery disconnect switch should be turned off before plugging into shore power, but don't understand what difference it would make if it comes back on when shore power in use. I replaced house battery 2 months ago. We were camping over Labor Day weekend and used shore power. When disconnecting yesterday, and turning house battery on, house battery only should good instead of fully charges. When I unplug from shore power the green light on disconnect goes out, so I have to turn press battery switch to get light back on. Should I just leave the switch ON when plugging into shore power? Wish I could find a good owner's manual for this RV!!! Any help would be appreciated

Thank you
David Lingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #2

There are several different ways the battery disconnect switch is wired up and I can't tell you how yours is set up.

On our Sunseeker, the battery disconnect switch has to be on for the convertor to charge the coach batteries when the shore line is plugged in.

If you have a voltmeter, here's how you can check to see if you need to have the battery disconnect switch on for the shore line to charge the batteries. First, with the shore line disconnected, or the shore line breaker turned off, check the coach battery voltage. It will be about 12.7 volts if fully charged. For this test, it's okay if the voltage is lower. Then plug in or turn on the shore line with the battery disconnect switch off. If the battery voltage increases, then the convertor is charging the batteries. If it does not, turn the battery disconnect switch on. The voltage should go up then, to something over 13 volts, depending on the state of charge of the batteries and whatever other 12 volt loads are on at the time. If you don't see any change in the battery voltage with the shore line power on and the battery disconnect switch either on or off, you probably have a problem with your convertor or a fuse or wire that supplies 12 volts to the batteries.

As for me, I keep the battery disconnect switch on any time I am using the motorhome. The only time I turn it off is when I put it in storage because there are some small 12 volt power users that will drain the batteries over time. On ours, the battery disconnect switch has to be on to power the LP/CO alarm, unless we are on shore power. The alarm needs to be on any time someone is in the coach and the propane is turned on.

As for the information the salesman gave you, some are competent, some are not, but I would not expect any one of them to know all of the details about every RV they sell.
This is a good forum to find information and advice.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Good description of how to test there.

As far as I'm concerned. if you have a good multi-mode converter (one with a float mode of about 13.8VDC fully charged) there's no reason to pull the disconnect except when storing longer than a couple of days without shore power.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

Since you are new to RV camping, and you have a 2005 coach, here are a few tips.

1. If you have Michelin tires, be aware that they recalled some of their tires used on Class C's and B+'s. Go to their web site and look up the recalls. The web site will give you instructions on how to check if yours are included in the recall. If you are lucky and have the recalled tires, they will replace the tires at no charge. Don't forget to check the spare. It would be included.
2. The LP/CO alarm has a five year life. It must be replaced after five years. The date of manufacture is stamped on the alarm.
3. I had a lot of trouble with false alarms with my LP/CO alarm. I replaced the original one after two years and the new one gave false alarms, too. I then replaced it with an LP only alarm and got a residential CO alarm at Home Depot. It's a Kidde brand with a digital readout and a 10 year battery, so I won't have to fool with it for a long time. I've had no false alarms since.
4. If you have a Suburban water heater, remove the drain and check the anode. It may have never been replaced. If you can't find how to do it and how to determine if the anode needs to be replaced, search this forum. It's been discussed a number of times.
5. If you need more suggestions on things you need to check, post a new thread on this forum asking for suggestions. You'll get plenty of thoughts from experienced RV'ers.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

This sounds simple. The light on the switch is powered by 12 volts. If you turn it off, the light goes out, but if you plug in to shore power, there is 12 volts from the converter on the power buss, so the light goes back on. Think of the light as a 12V indicator. However, when the switch is "off" the converter will not be able to charge the batteries, even though it will power all of the 12v devices in your rig.

Bottom line, leave it on when you are using the rig.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
clr

When you are actively using the RV you need to have your batteries connected. This will allow the converter to charge the batteries and allow the batteries to act as a filter for the converter. Not sure what brand of converter you have but some mfr of converters state that the battery must be connected. Also although each brand is different here, most battery disconnects do not remove all DC loads. Health and Safety items such as the smoke detector, CO2, and LP detectors are not disconnected by the switch. Always disconnect the batteries via the switch when you place your RV in storage with out connecting to AC power. I would also suggest removing the negative lead from the battery also so that there is no load on the battery. This will keep you from going to storage to use your RV and finding the battery to be stone cold dead, not good on the battery either.
clr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

Question about battery disconnect switch

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will leave the switch on at ALL times, even when plugging into shore power. I will check voltage and inverter/converter. I do leave ours plugged in at home, as I ran a 30A circuit for it. I read somewhere that if you do leave it plugged up to check water in house battery once a month. Is there any harm in doing this? We live in North Carolina. Is there anywhere to get an Owner's Manual for this 2005 Coachmen Concord? It was made by Winnebago, but I think Forest River now owns Coachmen. I do appreciate ALL the info.
David Lingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #8

Once a month is not a bad idea. If you have a decent converter it shouldn't really need water that often anyway.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #9

Manuals??

It seems that "good" owners manuals are a rare commodity in the RV industry. Searching the manufacturer website and on-line forums is about as good as it gets. There are a number of knowledgable and helpful folks on the forums. Good luck & happy camping.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect