Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #1

Question about the Electrical System/Battery

100% Novice Here, will finally be able to access my first trailer this weekend. Have a 2014 Wildwood KQBTS

A question based on a part of the manual that I have taken a pic of.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5y...ew?usp=sharing

The part in parentheses refers to making "sure you turn the power switch on". Not sure to what. The power convertor?

Thanks,
Joe
joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab1977 View Post
100% Novice Here, will finally be able to access my first trailer this weekend. Have a 2014 Wildwood KQBTS

A question based on a part of the manual that I have taken a pic of.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5y...ew?usp=sharing

The part in parentheses refers to making "sure you turn the power switch on". Not sure to what. The power convertor?

Thanks,
Joe
It looks to me to be talking about turning on the generator. Does your RV have a generator, as it may not?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team

I posted this in a thread the other day, and it may can help. The second link explains the converter:

This is a great place to get information about your RV, and they all have a learning curve to them. Everyone here was in your shoes at one time or the other, so don't feel bashful in asking questions. We understand.

The electrical system is one of the more misunderstood items in RV's, and many dealers fail to take the time to properly explain the functions to new buyers.

As such, there are a few articles I recommend reading to help gain this knowledge you are seeking. You can just peruse at your leisure:

The first is this one which easily explains the different electrical systems of an RV:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

The second explains the converter (If you just said to yourself, what is a converter, then it's why you need to also read it)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

This one may or may not be applicable to your particular RV, depending on which type/brand water heater you have, but could help tremendously if you do have a Suburban tank type water heater:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

This last one has a lot of RV general electrical knowledge help. It's good to read after you have a understanding of your systems, and also tells how to wire and TEST pedestals BEFORE you plug your new toy into it. This is something you need to learn fairly fast if you can, as there are bad outlets at campgrounds.

RV Electric

It may seem like a lot at first, but it will come to you. I know you are excited to learn and go RV'in

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 AM   #4

Whether on generator or shore power, if the converter is not turned on (usually by breaker) and the main switch, if present, is not turned on, your batteries will not charge.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm going to go another direction here and say they are talking of the battery disconnect switch.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm going to go another direction here and say they are talking of the battery disconnect switch.
I agree.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #7

In my experience, FR units will not charge either with the converter breaker turned off or with the main disconnect turned off. They will, however, give the owner a false sense of security when the converter is powered via shore power but the main disconnect is turned off. Everything is the coach will run...but the batteries will never receive a charge.

I will give them the benefit that it is probably related to NEC or RIVA codes.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #8

"with the converter breaker turned off or with the main disconnect turned off."

okay, learning all of this from this forum. So the convertor breaker is likely by the main breaker...? what about the main disconnect. where is that typically? Guessing my questions will improve when I finally (!) gain access to our trailer on Friday.

Also, wondering what I can expect regrading a battery or batteries in a Wildwood 2014 KQBTS. Will there there likely just be on 12 volt battery?

Thanks for your help!

Joe
joetab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #9

Almost all RV low voltage systems are 12 volt, just like cars and light trucks. Most come with what are called "Marine/RV" batteries that are designed differently than car batteries. Their chemistry allows them to be discharged to half of their full capacity and then recharged, as opposed to "Starting" batteries in cars that just supply high current for a short time and then get recharged as soon as the engine is running.

Most of the RV batteries require that you top off the water in them from time to time, unlike the maintenance free batteries in cars.

Keep asking questions and do a little study - It will save you problems in the future.

In addition to the great links provided by WMTIRE above, see this good video:

https://youtu.be/mRD-baSYyUM

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery