Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #1

Another Question on charging RV battery

I plan to charge my TT battery with an external battery charger. If the battery disconnect is off, can i charge the battery via a 12 amp charger powered by a portable generator without disconnect the battery from the TT?

I'd like to have the generator running and connected to the 30 amp supplying power to the trailer and at the same time having a 15 amp battery charger, charging the batteries.

I know there's a debat as to whether the converter charger will charge batteries as quickly as a car battery charger like a Schmacher or equivalent. From my testing, it looks like using the onboard charger is not adequate. But I don't want to rehash that, just would like your opinion on charging the battery while connected to the TT. I don't see a problem but I don't see a lot of things. Seems it would be equivalent to charging a car battery without disconnecting it from the car? Sorry for being so long winded. You guys have been very helpful.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:54 AM   #2

I leave mine hooked up while charging, haven't had any issues
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:30 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
I leave mine hooked up while charging, haven't had any issues
I just topped mine off I didn't disconnect mine either and it worked fine. My Charger/ Convertor is still working like it should in the unit. No damage that I know of. You get half of one way half of another. I even asked my neighbor who has a windjammer and he said that is also how he does his when needing to be topped off.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I just topped mine off I didn't disconnect mine either and it worked fine. My Charger/ Convertor is still working like it should in the unit. No damage that I know of. You get half of one way half of another. I even asked my neighbor who has a windjammer and he said that is also how he does his when needing to be topped off.
Glenn was this talk performed at the Local Tiki-Hut? With ALL that SUN in Fla.why are you Not on Solar? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Site Team

i've kept my Rockwood Roo HTT plugged into shore power and NEVER had any issues with the WFCO converter keeping the two batteries charged.

nor when i am dry camping and using my Honda 2000i genny to recharge them, using the onboard converter.

and that been for 10 years now.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i've kept my Rockwood Roo HTT plugged into shore power and NEVER had any issues with the WFCO converter keeping the two batteries charged.

nor when i am dry camping and using my Honda 2000i genny to recharge them, using the onboard converter.

X2! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Glenn was this talk performed at the Local Tiki-Hut? With ALL that SUN in Fla.why are you Not on Solar? Youroo!!
We meet at 5:00 PM for tech talk. No sun here for 2 days. Rain and cold for Florida maybe 70 and 50 at night. But they tell me it will get back to norm today. All extra monies go to the local economy (TIKI-HUT) and BINGO.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:

About how long do you run your generator to charge them? thanks.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
About how long do you run your generator to charge them? thanks.
Depends on how far they are down and if I've used the furnace.

Generally 2-3 hours every 3-4 days, IF I'm not using the furnace.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #11

That is pretty good every 3 or 4 days not to draw down past 50%. Also didn't you live in Napa Calif. ? Now in Washington? Also is Mod ass't new, congrates and good luck

Old 01-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #12

It will charge quicker with both working.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That is pretty good every 3 or 4 days not to draw down past 50%. Also didn't you live in Napa Calif. ? Now in Washington? Also is Mod ass't new, congrates and good luck
We retired in 2014 and moved to Washington, where all the DW's family lives. We've owned 5 acres and house for 8 years, knowing we'd eventually move.
As for as the Mod Asst., I've been a mod for quite awhile, I just label myself(tongue in cheek)as an "Assistant", since I'm not as good at it as the others are.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #14

I did some testing this afternoon,

My 2104 Rockwood with the battery disconnect open draws 50 ma. I really think the disconnect switch is wired wrong. (I had to rewire the AC thermostat because the low fan didn't work) I notice that the radio system, USB port stays on. What's significant is the current draw is 1/3 amps with the switch on and nothing running. Add the frig and it's 1.6 amps. Lights are about a 1/2 amp each.

My battery was pulled down from fully charged to 12.4 volts. (That's about a 30% discharged or 70% charged) When I plugged in shore power it charged at 1.3 amps. Kind of slow.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Co detector is or may be hardwired to battery bypassing the cut off switch

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Depends on how far they are down and if I've used the furnace.

Generally 2-3 hours every 3-4 days, IF I'm not using the furnace.

How do you know with your converter that your batteries are fully charged? I don't see any charge status indicators on WFCO converters.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:15 AM   #17

Quote:
I did some testing this afternoon,

My 2104 Rockwood with the battery disconnect open draws 50 ma. I really think the disconnect switch is wired wrong. (I had to rewire the AC thermostat because the low fan didn't work) I notice that the radio system, USB port stays on. What's significant is the current draw is 1/3 amps with the switch on and nothing running. Add the frig and it's 1.6 amps. Lights are about a 1/2 amp each.

My battery was pulled down from fully charged to 12.4 volts. (That's about a 30% discharged or 70% charged) When I plugged in shore power it charged at 1.3 amps. Kind of slow.
I have a problem with the factory radio. If I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, the radio turns on by itself. Rather than installing a disconnect switch for the radio, I just detach the removable faceplate whenever I am not using the radio (which is almost all of the time).

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #18

On the subject of leaving the battery connected when using an external charger: Some chargers will supply over 15 volts, which may be too much for some connected loads. Monitor with a voltmeter a few times to see how high your charger voltage goes to be safe.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
How do you know with your converter that your batteries are fully charged? I don't see any charge status indicators on WFCO converters.
I installed a meter that gives me a voltage read out got it from Amazon and it fits behind the window of the panel. At least it shows what the convertor is suppling. That's my battery voltage after 24 hrs of the convertor off but it will also show you 13.6 13.1 and 14.6 when the convertor is on. Cheap way to see, cost about 5 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage read out 003.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	98412  

Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #20
TGR

Quote:
I plan to charge my TT battery with an external battery charger. If the battery disconnect is off, can i charge the battery via a 12 amp charger powered by a portable generator without disconnect the battery from the TT?

I'd like to have the generator running and connected to the 30 amp supplying power to the trailer and at the same time having a 15 amp battery charger, charging the batteries.

I know there's a debat as to whether the converter charger will charge batteries as quickly as a car battery charger like a Schmacher or equivalent. From my testing, it looks like using the onboard charger is not adequate. But I don't want to rehash that, just would like your opinion on charging the battery while connected to the TT. I don't see a problem but I don't see a lot of things. Seems it would be equivalent to charging a car battery without disconnecting it from the car? Sorry for being so long winded. You guys have been very helpful.
I doubt if your scheme to disconnect the battery and charge it with an external small battery charger will cause any harm but I can't envision a normal situation where your converter wouldn't charge your batteries faster than the external 12 to 15-amp battery charger and do it without the hassle of messing with a battery charger.

Standard WFCO converters supply between 45 and 100 amps of power, depending on the model, to charge your battery and run any 12-volt needs of your RV.

Tags
battery, charging