Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #1

Exclamation Questions about 2005 Rockwood Roo Power Converter

Hello,

I own a 2005 Rockwood Roo, Model 232. It came from the factory with a single 12v battery.

I have just replaced that battery with two 6v Golf Cart batteries from Costco. They are rated as 208 Ah and are run in series.

I am trying to figure out how long the factory converter will take to charge the batteries, but I'm too much of a newbie to know where to start.

When I open the panel, this is what I see:

World Frendship Co., Ltd
Power Converter with Manel Model: WF-8955AN W/Plastic
Electrical Rating:
* Panel Input: 120VAC 60Hz 30AMP
* Converter Input: 105-130VAC, 950 WATTS
* Converter Output: 13.6VDC, 55AMP, (Includes Charging and Load)

So, I see the 55AMP comment, but I don't know what rate the two 6v are going up if I have some lights on, a radio vampire drain, CO2 detector on, Microwave clock, etc.

My specific questions are:
1) Does this converter meet my needs of filling my two 6V batteries?
2) How long would it take to charge up the 208Ah?
3) Does this type of converter do the "charge, then float, then maintain" stages?

Let me know if there are other pieces of information I should know. I am about to leave on a trip and want to make sure my needs are met.
Pezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think with the age of this converter that it is a single stage and doesn't have absorption, bulk and float mode like the newer converters. If it did, it would list 3 different output voltages. Here's a link of what I got when I searched your model # on WFCO's site... Power CentersWF-8955PEC, WF-8955 55 Amp Power Center It notes that the WF 8955PEC is fully compatible with WF-8955AN, with next generation faceplate design.

Upgrading to a three stage converter would be an improvement. There's been many comments posted on the forum recommending converters from Progressive Dynamics over WFCO converters. Here's a link to their site... Motorhome and RV Power Converters from Progressive Dynamics

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dave is spot on.

If your converter is trully a single stage I'd suggest as dave did and upgrade to a 3 stage .
I'd very strongly suggest a progressive dynamics brand for your replacement.

Wfco converters are very unreliable and cheap.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Team

i'm pretty sure the '05 Roo had 3-stage converters.

it should be able to keep the batteries up, since it has the 55 amp charge rate.
look for the manual on it, should have the full specs in it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezman View Post
3) Does this type of converter do the "charge, then float, then maintain" stages?
I also believe that your converter is already three-stage, but double check to make sure. Here the manual ...

Installation/Operators Manual
For use with WFCO ALRTU Distribution Panels
Models WF-8935AN W/PLASTIC, WF-8945AN
W/PLASTIC, WF-8955AN W/PLASTIC

Quote:
1) Does this converter meet my needs of filling my two 6V batteries?
In my opinion, yes, it does - kind of.

Although the WFCO's are not the best, they are not terrible converters and it can charge your battery bank. I have a similar WFCO 8955PEC and two 6-volts in series @ 260Ah but charge mostly though a portable charger.

You will find three problems with the WFCO that makes it less-than-desirable with deep cycle 6-volt batteries. One is that its well known to almost never go into bulk mode. Two - it drops its amps quickly to a trickle in order to protect the batteries (I think it does this because many campers like to leave their trailers plugged in all the time, even in storage, so its not a bad thing). Three - many deep cycle batteries need a higher voltage than the converter can provide (e.g., Trojan batteries need 14.8 volts).

I recommend that you buy a good portable three or four stage charger or replace the WFCO with a PD. I plan to do that when my WFCO gives up the ghost.

In my case, because I haven't changed out my WFCO, yet, I use a portable 40amp 3-stage charger from Stanley that hits the mark. I charge through the converter for convenience and when I am using the trailer, but use the charger when I am at home.

Its important to note that sulfation occurs when a lead acid battery is deprived of a full charge, which will happen if the converter cannot charge to its recommended volts as explained above. Crystals form within the battery and eventually larger crystals reduce the batteries active capacity. See Sulfation and How to Prevent it.

The WFCO 8900 series does not have the ability to de-sulfate the batteries so periodic reconditioning is recommended to maintain a battery's optimum performance and prolong its life.

On a healthy battery bank, reconditioning mode on my charger sends a series of electrical pulses to break up the crystalline form of lead sulfate and turn these chemicals into useful battery electrolytes. There are better devices to de-sulfate than the reconditioning mode on my Stanley portable, but this works for me as my batteries are only 20-months old and I had done this from the start.

Quote:

My specific questions are:
2) How long would it take to charge up the 208Ah?
This is hard to quantify because the batteries are new, you are simultaneously running a load, and we don't know what temperatures you are in now or when you want to camp. This Trojan Battery Guide will be a good read but your own battery Mfg probably has something similar.

In summary, new batteries will not deliver their full rated capacity (and take more than a few discharge and charge cycles to reach their peak).

You have an unknown load (e.g., some lights on, a radio vampire drain, CO2 detector on, Microwave clock, etc.).

Temperature matters, too - See Table 1 below, which is for Trojan flooded batteries but the concept is the same for all flooded batteries.

You can test this yourself, though, to be most accurate. The best way for you to test your particular set up is to run the battery bank down to 50% SOC (See Table 5 below ~ about 12.1volts as measured with a multimeter at the battery) and then connect the trailer to AC, running with the loads that you described, and time it.

IMO, it should only take a few hours to charge to 80% and then the same amount of time to charge to 100% SOC. As you can see in Diagram 4 below, the amps drop way down towards the end of the charging cycle; thus prolonging the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table 1.GIF
Views:	115
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	23392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table 5.GIF
Views:	151
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	23393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram 4.GIF
Views:	191
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	23394  

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

When you charge your batteries from your external charger do you disconnect the positive and negative from the trailer, or just unplug the trailer?
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

When charging with my portable, I use my battery disconnect to seperate the batteries from the converter and eliminate any draws on my batteries while charging.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote