Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #71

Wow! I just read this entire thread in horror. Besides the fact that the electrician used the wrong receptical and probably wired it wrong, nobody seemed to find anything wrong with the fact that he used a 40 amp breaker. If he intended it to be a 30 amp hook up, that is unsafe. If he intended it to be a 50 amp circuit, he didn't have enough breaker. I wonder what size wire he ran. That's especially critical. Yup. You are in need of a competent electrician!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #72
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Wow! I just read this entire thread in horror. Besides the fact that the electrician used the wrong receptical and probably wired it wrong, nobody seemed to find anything wrong with the fact that he used a 40 amp breaker. If he intended it to be a 30 amp hook up, that is unsafe. If he intended it to be a 50 amp circuit, he didn't have enough breaker. I wonder what size wire he ran. That's especially critical. Yup. You are in need of a competent electrician!
To be honest, I was not overly concerned about the breaker choice in the face of such ineptitude.

Had the 50 amp service been wired correctly with 3 wire w/ ground (either 8 or 6 gauge) and the correct 50 amp service RV socket installed; protecting it with a 40 amp breaker would not be a bid deal.

For one, the OP intended to dogbone it down to 30 amps so the 40 amp breakers would never overload unless he bought a different camper (the 30 amp camper main would pop long before his circuit overloaded.

Second, if he DID upgrade the camper to a 50 amp camper, the 40 amp breaker would keep the circuit safe from overloading. The danger of course is, if the breaker was routinely taken to its limit, the OP MIGHT be tempted to fix it by just replacing the breaker with a 50 amp one and not upgrade the wiring to handle the increased amps.

I just want to know what size wire he used in conjunction with that 40 amp circuit?
If he used 8 gauge 3 wire w/ground the 40 would be the maximum breaker for that wire.
To upgrade the circuit to 50 amps the entire run would have to be replaced with 6 gauge 3 wire with ground.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #73
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
To be honest, I was not overly concerned about the breaker choice in the face of such ineptitude.

Had the 50 amp service been wired correctly with 3 wire w/ ground (either 8 or 6 gauge) and the correct 50 amp service RV socket installed; protecting it with a 40 amp breaker would not be a bid deal.

For one, the OP intended to dogbone it down to 30 amps so the 40 amp breakers would never overload unless he bought a different camper (the 30 amp camper main would pop long before his circuit overloaded.

Second, if he DID upgrade the camper to a 50 amp camper, the 40 amp breaker would keep the circuit safe from overloading. The danger of course is, if the breaker was routinely taken to its limit, the OP MIGHT be tempted to fix it by just replacing the breaker with a 50 amp one and not upgrade the wiring to handle the increased amps.

I just want to know what size wire he used in conjunction with that 40 amp circuit?
If he used 8 gauge 3 wire w/ground the 40 would be the maximum breaker for that wire.
To upgrade the circuit to 50 amps the entire run would have to be replaced with 6 gauge 3 wire with ground.
Herk - I'll find out when we fix it. We're in no rush as I have a household 110 outlet that we plug into now. It will probably be a month (or a few).

Whoever fixes it will get handed all the diagrams and pics. And I will make sure to get a full report on the prior craftsmanship. (hopefully with pictures)

And just to finish the implied question - and now that I know about plugging in an RV - since I already have a two pole - I'll likely defer to the *new* electrician about a 50 or 30. I don't much care. But I care deeply that it's safe, so the wire gauge is something I'll be paying attention to. Buying an adapter - meh, no biggie.

But I don't think I'll be upgrading to a 50a MH. I'm limited to what fits in my garage and at 34' 11", that's gonna be a class C (class A won't fit for height anyway).

Hmmm...now I'm thinking of all the responses I'm going to get "get the 50, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

Pfft, probably just have the 50 done correctly. Just in case.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #74

herk, at first I wasn't concerned with breaker size because it was a 50 amp circuit. As I read on, I was thinking this guy tried to install a 50 amp receptical and used a 40 amp breaker. Is that because he ran 8 or 10 guage wire? Anyway, it seemed to me to be a neon sign saying looky this ain't right! Since Roadtrip is storing his RV in a garage, he probably only needs enough power to charge batteries and keep the refer running. It's a shame the electrician wasn't competent.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #75
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
herk, at first I wasn't concerned with breaker size because it was a 50 amp circuit. As I read on, I was thinking this guy tried to install a 50 amp receptical and used a 40 amp breaker. Is that because he ran 8 or 10 guage wire? Anyway, it seemed to me to be a neon sign saying looky this ain't right! Since Roadtrip is storing his RV in a garage, he probably only needs enough power to charge batteries and keep the refer running. It's a shame the electrician wasn't competent.
I totally agree. Since he is not looking for a motorhome or a fiver that needs 50 amps, I would just make sure it can handle a single 30 amp run and put in a solid 30 amp 110 Volt service. If the OP can find a competent electrician, he might even be able to use the existing wire run, if there is enough slack in the panel, to convert one of the 2 wires w/ground into a neutral. (Tag the neutral appropriately if it is not white.)

Then he will just need a 30 amp RV socket and a single 30 amp circuit breaker. (A NEMA TT-30 for the purists)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-NEMA_TT-30.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	23686  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #76

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with fusing an 8 gauge wire at 40 amps. I'd bet there's an 8-2wg NM cable feeding that recep which could be fused at 40 or 50 amps. If that's the case he has a welder recep that meets the NEC.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #77

Quote:
I totally agree. Since he is not looking for a motorhome or a fiver that needs 50 amps, I would just make sure it can handle a single 30 amp run and put in a solid 30 amp 110 Volt service. If the OP can find a competent electrician, he might even be able to use the existing wire run, if there is enough slack in the panel, to convert one of the 2 wires w/ground into a neutral. (Tag the neutral appropriately if it is not white.)

Then he will just need a 30 amp RV socket and a single 30 amp circuit breaker. (A NEMA TT-30 for the purists)
That is the best thing he can do with what he's got without refeeding the receptacle with a new cable.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
There's nothing wrong with fusing an 8 gauge wire at 40 amps. I'd bet there's an 8-2wg NM cable feeding that recep which could be fused at 40 or 50 amps. If that's the case he has a welder recep that meets the NEC.
I agree. There is nothing wrong with fusing 8 guage wire at 40 amps. Since the wire size is currently unknown, we don't know what the heck the electrician was thinking. Was he trying to build a 30 amp RV hookup or a 50 amp hookup?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #79

Quote:

I agree. 30 amp is probably going to be the way to go. The OP probably won't be running the AC in there and surely not dual AC's.