Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 AM   #1

Re-settable Circuit Breaker Issue or Converter Issue

RV (2018 Forest River Micro-Lite 21fbrs) currently parked with solar panel to charge battery. I currently don't want to move it if this is an easy fix.

Recently using the generator (110v) toward late evening hours noticed lights very dim and after checking, other 12v devices were failing (i.e. water pump, frig, awning, fans, etc.). All 110V outlets working fine. No fuses blown on electrical panel. Started thinking converter issue. To quick troubleshoot, I used the battery disconnect to terminate power from the battery to the RV to see if the converter would provide power and nothing (everything went dead). Next day solar panel brought battery to life and 12V devices then working ok after battery charged.

Contacted Forest River and they suggested I locate the re-settable circuit breaker at the tongue/battery location (typically under the RV) to see if it needed reset (prior to troubleshooting the converter). Was unable to locate the breaker. Did see a removable screwed on panel under the RV. Did see a 30 amp fuse and a 20 amp fuse at the battery location. Both ok...

Several questions...

Would that re-settable circuit breaker be inside the panel under the RV?

Does this re-settable circuit breaker only break power from the converter to the battery; thus, preventing the converter from charging the battery and preventing the converter from providing 12V power to the RV?

If this re-settable circuit breaker is tripped and the battery is functioning properly, would the 12V devices still function in the RV?

Sorry for the multiple questions about this breaker. I plan to use a voltmeter to test the converter, etc... Any guidance or tips on this would be very much appreciated, as well.
Ramblinrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Here is a FAQ on the 12 volt DC circuit breaker:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...et-154141.html

If the solar brought the battery back, and the 12 volt DC stuff started working again, then you are getting power from the battery and the 12 volt DC circuit breaker doesn't sound like the problem. You can reset it or others (if equipped) to see though. It's always good to know where this is, as explained in the FAQ link above.

It does sound like a converter issue. Have you recently installed (or reinstalled your battery)? If you connect the cables in reverse, you will blow what is called the reverse polarity fuses on the converter, and the converter will not function. We see this a lot as camping season starts and people start buying new batteries or reinstalling batteries removed for the winter.

ON RV equipped with black/white battery cables. many people confuse them...cause the white is the negative and the black is the positive...more similar to house wiring.

Then on other RV's you may see black/red battery cables where the red is positive and the black is negative, like you see in a vehicle.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:55 AM   #3
Site Team

if you have ever reconnected the battery in reverse (or sometimes a current inrush will do the same), then the reverse polarity fuses will blow to protect the converter from damage, These reverse polarity fuses will be in the electrical distribution panel, or on the converter itself.

Here is an example of 40 amp reverse polarity fuses to check in the distribution panel (but yours could be on the converter instead, as different RV's have different scenarios). If the reverse polarity fuses are blown, then the converter cannot output DC power to power up the 12 volt DC items in your RV (or recharge the battery), and thus the battery will do it all, up until it depletes and you connect it back up to a battery charger again.

Here is just an example of the reverse polarity fuses on a converter itself. As stated above, different RV's will have different converts, distribution panels etc, so the location of the reverse polarity fuses can be different.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #4

Thank you very much for your input. I am learning quite a bit about my RV and the electrical system. One of the first things I did was check the reverse polarity fuses (both 40A) and they were Ok. All other fuses are ok, as well.

When Forest River suggested I check the inline circuit breaker, that had me wondering, was that breaker on a circuit from the converter to battery only; separate from maybe a circuit the battery was on that provided 12V service to the RV. I do have 12V service to the RV as long as the battery is charged up; however, if I go to shore power the battery appears to be not getting charged and will slowly discharge.

I plan on (tomorrow) putting a voltmeter on the generator output, the 110v side of the converter, the 12v side of the converter and unhook the battery and put the meter on the battery connection (to see if I am getting a charge). Does my plan sound accurate or am I missing a step. I also downloaded a troubleshooting flowchart from WFCO to help troubleshoot the converter. My converter model is: WF-8955PEC I see folks recommending to go away from that brand and go to a Progressive Dynamics brand of converter.

Again -- Thank you -- Appreciate ALL and any input...
Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #5

Had the same issue, it was the resettable breaker. It tested ok with a test light but under a load it wouldnt work. Happen again and knew what it was the second time, had a spare, still carry a spare
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

yep, your symptoms are certainly one of the CONVERTER/CHARGER not functioning properly. Now, each has it's own usage, though, as the CONVERTER takes your shore power, or generator power, and Converters 120v to 12v for all of those items to work WHILE you are on that power source. They should NOT be 'dimming' if the Converter is working properly, since during that time your batteries are not being used. And, since your Solar power eventually brought the 12v items back to life, it sounds like your battery was ALSO not being charged while the generator was providing power, so the CHARGER is at fault as well.
If an inline fuse is the culprit, as it sounds it is, it is causing the disconnect of outside power to your Converter/Charger, and therefore to the output to the 12v items and batteries.
Your solar is typically a direct connection to your batteries, so it would not be connected thru this 'blown' fuse, and would provide the power, when available, as you have mentioned.

Have fun! : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #7

When your resettable breaker tripped, did your 12V devices (lights, fans, etc) still work if on battery power? If so, then I will definitely look at this breaker. I guess what I am trying to figure is if that "resettable breaker" trips, does that shutdown all 12V power (lights, fans, etc...), whether on converter power or battery power?

Thank you for your input...
Old 05-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

Thanks... I may crawl under the RV, open that panel up, see if the "inline breaker" is present and see if it needs reset. I have quite a few option to check and it comes down to the process of elimination... Thank you for your help.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

Converter

I bought a 2015 Cardinal and have replaced the converter twice
xomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #10

Problem Resolved...

Got around today to troubleshooting this problem with a voltmeter...

I unhooked the solar panel from the battery and unhooked the leads to the battery. I then started troubleshooting at the generator...

Tested the generator output and it was putting out 120V (tested ok); tested the 120V circuit breaker, on the electrical panel in the RV, that provides power to the converter and did not get a reading on the voltmeter (ah-ha). Also was not getting any readings on the 12V side of the panel due to the converter not working (not getting power). All other breakers were showing that power was present, with exception of the circuit breaker to the converter.

Long story short, determined that the culprit causing my issues was the actual 15 AMP "tandem" circuit breaker, to the converter, in the electrical panel. To further confirm this I unhooked the hotwater from its' 15 AMP breaker and hooked the converter to that breaker and voila', the converter came to life and there was power to all the 12V devices in the RV (being powered by the converter without the battery being hooked up). Now, looking around for the correct breaker to install...

Thanks to everyone for your input on educating and helping me resolve this problem.

Tags
breaker, converter