Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

Receptacle Problem

This is my first post...….I'm old and thanks to hurricane Harvey last year I've been living in an RV with my 86 year old mother. Now that I've got my excuses out of the way here is my problem. The RV is a Forrest River Sierra 325 RGT (2007 I think). For some reason the two receptacle outlets in the kitchen and one receptacle outlet that powers the TV in the living room have stopped working. I only see one GFCI and it appears to be working correctly (it is located in the bedroom). All other receptacles inside are working. I have reset all the breakers ( none appeared to be tripped ) and all the fuses look ok. I've been running off of shore power for the last year....any ideas as to what will correct the problem?? Thanks for the help.
SteveMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMcC View Post
This is my first post...….I'm old and thanks to hurricane Harvey last year I've been living in an RV with my 86 year old mother. Now that I've got my excuses out of the way here is my problem. The RV is a Forrest River Sierra 325 RGT (2007 I think). For some reason the two receptacle outlets in the kitchen and one receptacle outlet that powers the TV in the living room have stopped working. I only see one GFCI and it appears to be working correctly (it is located in the bedroom). All other receptacles inside are working. I have reset all the breakers ( none appeared to be tripped ) and all the fuses look ok. I've been running off of shore power for the last year....any ideas as to what will correct the problem?? Thanks for the help.
It is a gfi circuit because of the kitchen outlets. Is the bathroom outlet working? how about the outside outlet? There should be more than 3 outlets not working.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

Welcome

If plugged into 50-amp service, maybe shut the 50-amp double pole circuit breaker off on the powered pedestal outdoors and pull the plug on the power pedestal and visually inspect the plug and socket before plugging back in and turning the double pole 50-amp breaker back on. One half of the coach may have lost power if plugged into 50-amp service.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #4

I'm with cavie. Check the outside outlet as well. It may be a GFI as well.

If not that then perhaps the wiring came lose on the clip on connectors. If you mess with the outlets unplug the shore power first or shut off the breaker you KNOW is the right one. Best of luck for you.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #5

Receptacle Problems

Thanks for all of your replies...….If it ever stops raining here I will go outside and start checking things out.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #6

Also, I’d plug something into the bedroom gfci and make sure you actually have power there. Those plugs can go bad and do.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #7

Receptacle Problems

Well the rain slacked off momentarily so I checked where the shore power cord plugs into the RV (50 amp twistlock). One prong has fried.....any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Well the rain slacked off momentarily so I checked where the shore power cord plugs into the RV (50 amp twistlock). One prong has fried.....any suggestions?
Go to Lowes or HD and buy a new pug replace with the new one. Be sure when you're done to twist the plug to the right when you pug it back in. replace both halves.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Go to Lowes or HD and buy a new pug replace with the new one. Be sure when you're done to twist the plug to the right when you pug it back in. replace both halves.

Um, I don't think he's gonna find a replacement 50A RV twist lock plug at any Lowe's or HD... And best I can tell, he's talking about it being fried on the RV side, meaning the 50A inlet on the camper will likely need to be replaced as well. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what is being said???
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Um, I don't think he's gonna find a replacement 50A RV twist lock plug at any Lowe's or HD... And best I can tell, he's talking about it being fried on the RV side, meaning the 50A inlet on the camper will likely need to be replaced as well. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what is being said???
Well, the 50 amp 240 twist lock plugs are not RV specific. At least not the cord side. You are correct. The blade side would be the coach side. The coach side may or may not be depending on the manufacturer. It's worth a look-see. $$$$$$. If not CW should have them.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #11

Of you are in a bind you could always buy the end at HD and screw it on just hanging out of the trailer until you can get one from Amazon or camping store.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Site Team

Since you said "One prong has fried" I assume that your talking about the male plug that's mounted in the wall of the RV. If so, I'd go ahead and buy both plug and receptacle.

You will have to get the male inlet at a RV store or online. The big box stores most likely won't have those. They should have the female cord end. It's a 125/250v 50 amp female twist-lock connector. It's a NEMA SS2-50R.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Of you are in a bind you could always buy the end at HD and screw it on just hanging out of the trailer until you can get one from Amazon or camping store.
I love it when someone thinks outside the box!!!!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you have to replace both ends of the connection, you might consider this.
Been getting good reviews on other forums. I know nothing about it other than passing along as an alternative to twist-locks. Available in both 50a and 30a. The company claims 20X more contact then twist-locks.

Smartplug

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #15

I've been VERY surprised to learn how many people don't understand the term TWIST-LOK. They just push it is and walk away.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #16

Talking Receptacle Problems

I really appreciate all of the replies and discussion from everyone and I see that I need to clarify some things. This RV was a spur of the moment purchase because of the fact that our house flooded due to the rains around Houston from hurricane Harvey (we are about 50 miles from Houston and 1-1/2 miles from the nearest river but the runoff still got us). The previous owner told me that he had once forgotten to unplug from shore power and ripped the RV receptacle from the trailer. It's obvious to me now that he replaced the stock receptacle with a FEMALE twistlock. To plug into the 50 amp service the electrician I hired had to make a cord with two MALE ends. Fortunately there is a small RV repair shop 2 miles from my house and the owner has set me up with the proper parts to do the job (I hope). Again thanks to everyone for the help and hopefully soon I can complete the repairs to my house and you won't have to answer any more of my dumb questions.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #17

Quote:
I really appreciate all of the replies and discussion from everyone and I see that I need to clarify some things. This RV was a spur of the moment purchase because of the fact that our house flooded due to the rains around Houston from hurricane Harvey (we are about 50 miles from Houston and 1-1/2 miles from the nearest river but the runoff still got us). The previous owner told me that he had once forgotten to unplug from shore power and ripped the RV receptacle from the trailer. It's obvious to me now that he replaced the stock receptacle with a FEMALE twistlock. To plug into the 50 amp service the electrician I hired had to make a cord with two MALE ends. Fortunately there is a small RV repair shop 2 miles from my house and the owner has set me up with the proper parts to do the job (I hope). Again thanks to everyone for the help and hopefully soon I can complete the repairs to my house and you won't have to answer any more of my dumb questions.
No such thing as dumb questions. We are all learning something as we go. Best of luck.

Reach out with any questions even if you think they are dumb. How else would you learn without spending lots more money?
Old 09-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Fortunately, you didn't get killed. That was was no electrician. NEVER, NEVER use and an extension cord with two male ends. Somebody could die!!! I hope you get it fixed. DO NOT ask for help from your so-called electrician.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #19

I think Lowe’s does have them. They even have a very small RV plumbing section.

Double male cords are called “suicide plugs” and I see people all over Florida with them plug into their dryer outlets etc from the generator when the storms hit. It’s a wonder we don’t have more people die from shock because of them. Not to mention the hazard for the linemen when someone is using one and forgets to shut off their main breaker thus feeding 240 volts back to the pole. Sheesh.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
I think Lowe’s does have them. They even have a very small RV plumbing section.

Double male cords are called “suicide plugs” and I see people all over Florida with them plug into their dryer outlets etc from the generator when the storms hit. It’s a wonder we don’t have more people die from shock because of them. Not to mention the hazard for the linemen when someone is using one and forgets to shut off their main breaker thus feeding 240 volts back to the pole. Sheesh.
X2 about no male cord ends!
Unfortunately there was an electrocution death in Kinston, North Carolina involving a generator during hurricane Florence. It might be a good education for generator users everywhere if the authorities would share the details other than that he was connecting extension cords in the rain.