This is DW. We just replaced our battery yesterday to bring 5er home from a 4 weekend stay. Our 3 yr old original battery had overheated the prior weekend. It was unplugged in order to mow grass this evening. Smoke was seen soon after from the hitch wire & metal box under 5er hitch. Front battery compartment was smoking with glowing red hot wires. DH used camper fire extinguisher. Smoking continued a little, but has since stopped. DH said he had found a wire nut on the ground & must have crossed 2 bare wires messing around. The tow wire had prior damage from dragging it while towing & dropping 5er on truck tailgate a couple times. Lol, you have to know DH to understand. DH "fixed it" himself with electrical tape. He was able to unhook & remove battery. Is this towable to get fixed? We have a $1000 deductible. He thinks he can haul it to get it fixed.
Not to our dealer, but a smaller one about 10 mi away. Regardless, it's not making it to our Memorial Day wkend trip, I'm sure. How bad does this look? There was no other smoke found inside or in other cabinets. It's a good thing DH was outside or it may have went up in flames.
Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums