Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #21

hmmm. I must have missed something along the way.

First of all, I assume this is a "residential" refrigerator. Most residential refrigerators run between 300 and 500 watts depending on the type and model and not counting initial startup.

A 300 watt inverter would never work for this setup. 300 watts is only 2.5 amps and usually inverters are listed at peak output, not steady output. A 1000 watt inverter would yield 8.3 amps.

Now, I wonder why Class A coaches with residential refrigerators normally come equipped with a 2000 watt, or even 3000 watt, inverters? And, they also have at least 4 6volt batteries.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
hmmm. I must have missed something along the way.

First of all, I assume this is a "residential" refrigerator. Most residential refrigerators run between 300 and 500 watts depending on the type and model and not counting initial startup.

A 300 watt inverter would never work for this setup. 300 watts is only 2.5 amps and usually inverters are listed at peak output, not steady output. A 1000 watt inverter would yield 8.3 amps.

Now, I wonder why Class A coaches with residential refrigerators normally come equipped with a 2000 watt, or even 3000 watt, inverters? And, they also have at least 4 6volt batteries.
Yes, you missed the post where the OP said it was a 1.6cu ft Everchill (https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Kitchen/...24-000110.html) and that this is in a small Flagstaff e-Pro (Flagstaff E-Pro Travel Trailers by Forest River RV).
Old 05-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #23

Ohms Law:
300w / 12v = 25A / Hr
Most 24 Series Batteries are rated at 100-140 minutes = Approx 2 hrs of run time/battery.
Very poor setup
Install a dual source refrig:
A/C + Gas
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #24

I just got E Pro 12RK and I am having the exact same problem. I have two 6 cell deep cycle batteries installed just so I could boondock.

The inverter may or may not be on when I stop. Most of the time it isn’t and my batteries have never been anywhere close to ran down.

I wonder if the refrigerator coming on is just too much for this tiny inverter? At this point I will either get a bigger inverter or take the damn refrigerator out and replace it with an ice box.

The only time it worked great was plugged into shore power and plugged into a regular 120 plug.

Any help would also be appreciated!

This is the inverter

https://gpelectric.com/products/300-...wave-inverter/
Tinbender75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #25

Question, is this little inverter wired directly in to 12 VDC or are you using a cigar lighter plug. The latter cannot take the load and the red light indicates too much voltage drop. On my 1997 bounder, I finally wired it directly in to the power panel and never saw the red light ever again. Cigar lighter fittings are only good for maybe 50 to 100 watts. The one in my Georgetown is fused at 7.5 amps...90 watts.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Question, is this little inverter wired directly in to 12 VDC or are you using a cigar lighter plug. The latter cannot take the load and the red light indicates too much voltage drop. On my 1997 bounder, I finally wired it directly in to the power panel and never saw the red light ever again. Cigar lighter fittings are only good for maybe 50 to 100 watts. The one in my Georgetown is fused at 7.5 amps...90 watts.

The trailer has the inverter permanently installed and certain outlets are wired only to the inverter. This is a factory installed inverter and fridge.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #27

OK...A permanently installed 300 watt inverter? Well, that takes connectors out of the equation.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #28

Yep it is factory installed.

I found another thread where they thought the inverter was too small. But no defi resolution was posted.

When I get home I guess I will dig out the paperwork.

I have been on the road with it for 6 days with little to no internet and phone so it has been a mess. Lol!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbender75 View Post
I just got E Pro 12RK and I am having the exact same problem. I have two 6 cell deep cycle batteries installed just so I could boondock.

The inverter may or may not be on when I stop. Most of the time it isn’t and my batteries have never been anywhere close to ran down.

I wonder if the refrigerator coming on is just too much for this tiny inverter? At this point I will either get a bigger inverter or take the damn refrigerator out and replace it with an ice box.

The only time it worked great was plugged into shore power and plugged into a regular 120 plug.

Any help would also be appreciated!

This is the inverter

https://gpelectric.com/products/300-...wave-inverter/
Did you read ChadCF's post where they're replacing the inverter with a larger unit.
Quote:
So he got forest river to talk to the dealer, and the upshot is that forest river says the 300w inverter has had problems and they're upgrading people for free to 1000w inverters and that should take care of his problem.
You may want to contact FR and see what they say about it.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #30

Somehow I did miss that post.

I took your advice and emailed Forest River and they are supposed to replace it with a 700 watt inverter. My dealership has been closed the last three days and supposedly their link to Forest River is broke until Thursday. I may be taking it to another dealer.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #31
Site Team

I think I'd either take it to another dealer or have FR ship you the replacement and install it yourself. You'll probably have to ship the old one back, but that's not an issue.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #32

Wow... a residential fridge running full time off of a 300w inverter without a transfer switch!!! What was FR thinking when they came up with this brilliant idea? I just don't get the whole residential fridge thing for a unit that isn't intended to be plugged into shore power 90+% of the time...

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #33

I totally agree!! I was originally going to get a Sunray 109. They had it advertised with a propane refrigerator and the day before I was supposed to get it (out of state) they messaged me and said the refrigerator was NOT a propane refrigerator. So no extra batteries, inverter or any solution was offered so I didn’t get it.

This one I had an extra 6 cell battery put on and I was told it should be no problem running the refrigerator on the road. Wrong.... I found my 12RK local after some looking. Some how I missed it online.

Idk what RV manufacturers are thinking? I wanted something like this because it is small and I can boondock with it, get it tough spaces, etc...

I liked the Sunray it sat a little higher, had more storage and thought they had a decent refrigerator and a shower. But no gray water tank or inverter for fridge (like that matters now).

I liked the Forest River NOBOs but they have no water tanks!!!!

Every small one I saw was lacking something unless you spend 20 to 40k.

This one I wish had a shower like the Sunray did. It wasn’t internal but just a hose out the side and it was heated.

Thanks Bama Rambler has just had them ship the inverter.

Tags
refrigerator