Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #1

Reloacting Batteries Question

I need to add battery capacity in order to prolong our dry camping ability (also adding solar capability). Have a marginal situation now with tongue weight (most storage capacity in the pass-through located up front) and can't add any weight up front. Any opinions on locating the batteries between the two Dexter torsion arm axles under the TT floor? Axles (each 2200 lb. rating) are hard mounted to the TT frame. Batteries would be in standard battery boxes with lids attached to a solid "shelf" that would be hard-mounted to the axles. Any opinions/experience on the subject is welcome.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #2

Vibration from the minimal suspension would likely kill the batteries.
I would consider moving them to the rear.

Is your unit is a Rockwood - Rockwell 2109s with the spare on the bumper?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #3

Yes this is for the Rockwood Mini 2109S. I was thinking the suspension shouldn't be too much different than anywhere else being that the "suspension" is in the torsion arm at each spindle.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #4

In that case, you could always build an enclosure in the under bed storage area and vent it out, or switch to AGM's.

I would be very hesitant as well to have them on a shelf attached to the axles. If for no other reason, your axles "do" flex and could snap a weld, but I would also be concerned about accidentally driving over a ground obstacle and having it rip into a battery.

Just a thought.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #5

Ya'know.. I'm not really sure how much axles flex. I would imagine it would be weight dependent. They are made with a slight "bow" so that when the weight of the rig is applied it will zero the camber on your tires.

Every time you hit a bump in the road your tires can go "light" as the weight rebounds and the axle itself will "flex". That would be compounded by welding attachments between two axles. You would get independent flexing between the two as well as a bit of twisting action.

I'm not a welder, but I would think that would be rough on a rack like you were proposing.

I've been wrong before...
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #6

Thanks again Yarome, I appreciate your advice. I will be looking into the "under the bed" approach. Looks like the foot of the bed is about half way between axle CL and the hitch point. Taking off the existing tongue mounted battery and adding two under the bed would add about 20 lbs to the tongue. Have to take a few lbs out of the front storage.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
Site Team

That's a lot of work and money, when a 2000w inverter generator would be easier, cheaper and lighter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #8

Yes, but you have to feed it, it makes rude noises and emits foul odors. My grandpa told me never to invest in something that eats while you sleep.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiveWell View Post
Yes, but you have to feed it, it makes rude noises and emits foul odors. My grandpa told me never to invest in something that eats while you sleep.
you don't have to feed it while you sleep, since campgrounds ban running generators during the nite.

unless you're boondocking.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #10

I believe he was speaking metaphorically.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #11

Yes, boondocking is the issue. We camp 100+ days a year, many in state or national forest campgrounds. Primitive, quiet, and the more natural the better. Trying not to leave much of a footprint.

Tags
battery