Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #1

Replace Elixir-45?

OK, I'm pretty sure my convertor/charger needs replacing. 2004 unit, it's done its duty.
Last year, we heard the cooling fan coming on/off all the time. Seems like it should have stayed on longer, then stayed off. But it would come on for a few seconds, then off, on, off.
Last week, noticed dim lights, and the fridge light flickering. All fuses/breakers OK. Then noticed the fridge stopped working (board needs 12volt, even on propane). All this time, the air conditioner and all AC outlets were fine. I plugged into the truck (engine running), and all 12v items came back to life. Left it running 15 minutes to charge. Sparing light use that night, and the fridge ran all night.
Day 2, it ran dead again. I charged again.
Day 3, convertor seemed to come back to life, and did not need another charge thru day 4 when we went home.

But I don't want to risk it again. Questions:
1. Upper power distribution (AC breakers, DC fuses, etc) seems to be fine. Is it common to just replace the lower unit (converter, charger, cooling, etc)? Seems like that would only be a few wires/lugs. Or for a 2004, should I replace the entire thing?
2. Is this fairly simple DIY, like changing your home thermostat? Mark all wires, and be sure they are reconnected properly?

I think I saw a site (Best Convertor) that had a WFCO replacement board (3-stage upgrade) for my Elixir-45. Anyone work with them?
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

Wow. 30 views and no comments? Maybe I put in more details than people wanted to read? Where are the electrical experts?

Summary:
1. Should I replace just the lower section, or the entire thing?
2. Is this something I should try myself?
Old 08-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #3

A friend of mine had his converter go out recently on a different model travel trailer, took him a couple hours to swap it out, he said it was fairly painless and straight forward. Sorry I don't have more specifics...

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #4

OK, I have the convertor out, with all of the wires carefully labeled. The lower convertor section does not seem easily replaced, so I will replace the entire thing.

BestConverter.com (and Randy himself) is recommends the Boondocker 4-Stage PowerCenter 60Amp (BPC4-60) as a direct replacement for the ELX-45. It seems pricey, at $215, not including any new breakers. But it looks to be designed to fit the same opening, with no mods needed to the camper. 60Amp output concerned me, but everybody seems to trust "Randy". I did confirm my battery cable is beefy 6-gage stuff, going to my grp-27 12v deep cycle.

So, is anybody using the "Boondocker"? Can't find it anywhere else. I wonder if it's Randy's own creation/house-brand.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There's a few members on the forum that have the boondocker.
From what I've read they like them!
Don't worry about the 60 amp, put it in and go camping!

Don't know how I missed this thread.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #6

Complete Boondocker 60Amp Powercenter (not just the converter) is showing up UPS on Friday, so planning to install Saturday.

I've heard there isn't much in the way of instructions. I know where each wire, breaker, and fuse need to go. But I'm wondering if there are any functional "checks" I should do:
a. during the process, and/or
b. before I secure the unit to the cabinet

Any tips from those who've done this before?
Old 10-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

Working with Best Converter:
The converter that showed up was much different than what was pictures. The good thing is that the PowerCenter itself is a steel case, rather than the plastic that was shown. The main disappointment was that the DC distribution does not have the LED blown-fuse indicators that are advertised/shown. But there are only 6 fuses, and I'll live.

The reinstallation job was more work than I thought it would be, but I'm sure I save a lot of money doing it myself.

Question:
The system test instructions said to pull the reverse-polarity protection fuses (2x40Amp), and check the DC voltage across the converter + output, and the AC ground. It should be 13.4-13.8VDC. I was getting about 14.7VDC. This was without a battery connected, but the positive battery cable was attached to the DC board.

Is this cause for concern? I know that 14.7VDC is the Stage 1 Boost/Bulk Output. But why is it putting out this much without a battery installed? The lights were certainly brighter than normal. I don't want to ruin anything in the camper.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Is there a button to change modes?

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

No mode buttons to be found. Below is a pic with the AC cover removed. I just removed the lower panel again, and confirmed there are no switches in the converter section. I did read elsewhere that the red positive battery cable should be disconnected from the DC panel when running that test, but I don't know why that would matter without a battery connected.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

My wife and I just purchased our first camper. It is a 2003 26' Forest River Surveyor.

We got it for a great price because of some minor water damage to the floor that I am in the process of replacing.

We got it home a few weeks ago and plugged it in, just like the previous owner did. He Just kept it plugged into his garage outlet. It has a 30 amp plug with a 20 amp adapter.

Everything worked perfect for roughly 3 or 4 days.

Then one morning I got up and went inside to continue working on the floor, and hear a strange "chirping" sound. At first I thought it was the C02/Gas detector, but it wasn't a consistent beep; it was kind of different tones at random times, sometimes 1-2 seconds apart.. sometimes 5-6.

Once again this is our first camper and I knew very little about them/it. I ended up tracing the noise to the breaker panel. After turning off the "Conv" breaker, the beeping stopped.

I did a little research, and didn't find much, so after letting it sit for a little while, I went back out and turned it on. It went a couple hours with no beeping, but then it came back, just very faint.

Long story short, it starting beeping very loudly, and the fans act like they want to turn on/spin, but don't. Followed by a "hot smell". Not like burning electronics or plastic, just hot.

So now here I am, praying I didn't buy a lemon. And with the wife bugging the hell out of me to get it ready so we can go camping, I need to figure this out ASAP lol.

I'm guessing the converter is bad, but how do I know if I need to replace just the converter, or the whole breaker panel?

I have the same box/converter as the original poster, the Elixir-45. Is the PD9245CV the recommended converter for replacement?

How difficult of a fix is this? I will be doing the work myself. I am good at DIY projects and have experience with wiring. Is there anything else I should check/do while fixing this to avoid any future problems?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in Advance for any help.

Excited to finally get out and enjoy camping in something other than a tent!!
jpsamuel06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #11
Site Team

Best Converter says that a direct replacement is the Boondocker 1245PC

Call them or email them and they can tell you if the PD9245 will fit in the place of the Elixir.