Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1

Replacement Tail Light Socket

Wednesday while backing into a campsite the wife noticed that the left rear brake light was not working. I did a quick check and the socket was corroded the bulb looked good but, I couldn't get it out. Yesterday while we were out and about I picked up some PB Blaster and a replacement bulb. I sprayed the socket with the PB and let it sit for a few hours. Bulb still wouldn't come out. Well I am sure you can guess what happened next. I broke the glass on the bulb and crushed the metal part trying to free it up with some pliers. So now basically I have the crushed metal part of the bulb stuck in the socket and doubt I can get it out. I am heading home today and will be driving mostly in the country so I should be OK to get home. I will try to remove whats left when I can get to more tools but, If I can't get it out or screw up the socket trying I need to find a replacement socket. Are this some special order thing or will I be able to find them at a RV dealer?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This is all going to depend on a lot of things. Which bulb? The old 1157 round base bulb? These you can get just sockets for at auto parts places. Or the 2057 new style that just plugs in? Never seen just a socket, but worth a check. Also going to depend on how the socket attaches to the housing. Might be time to upgrade to L.E.D. taillights.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
I've had a similar situation before...and I used needle-nose pliers and inserted the "needle nose" into the socket and then spread the handles apart to open the needle nose portion. Forcing the pliers open with a lot of force can often give you enough traction to be able to unscrew the base.

Similarly I've done this on inside light bulbs (especially the candelabra type) that are so bad about coming loose from the base.

Good luck!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Trailer Lights | etrailer.com

Depending on your style light, they are VERY cheap to replace the whole shooting match.

Camping Travel Trailer Stop, Turn and Tail Light with License Plate Light and Bracket - White Base Optronics Trailer Lights RVST51

These are on mine.

Heck, while you are at it get one with the plate mount and three without the plate mount and double stack your lights for safety!

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh...cs/RVST50.html

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Wednesday while backing into a campsite the wife noticed that the left rear brake light was not working. I did a quick check and the socket was corroded the bulb looked good but, I couldn't get it out. Yesterday while we were out and about I picked up some PB Blaster and a replacement bulb. I sprayed the socket with the PB and let it sit for a few hours. Bulb still wouldn't come out. Well I am sure you can guess what happened next. I broke the glass on the bulb and crushed the metal part trying to free it up with some pliers. So now basically I have the crushed metal part of the bulb stuck in the socket and doubt I can get it out. I am heading home today and will be driving mostly in the country so I should be OK to get home. I will try to remove whats left when I can get to more tools but, If I can't get it out or screw up the socket trying I need to find a replacement socket. Are this some special order thing or will I be able to find them at a RV dealer?
RickV I see your trailer is a 06 Rockwood. I have another T/L assy. I mailed one to a member on here free. I will give you one also,but this time (I) will not pay shipping! Send me a E mail and I will ship it. The one he rechieved from me was the (Stop/turn/license plate light). Youroo!!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

Just got in the house after parking and cleaning up the 5er. It is the 2057 type the ones that twist lock. When I said socket I meant the whole little metal assembly I will take a picture and post it later after the sun goes behind the trees. I planned on doing the needle nose pliers trick (just didn't have any with me) and will try that when I take the picture.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
One note of clarification (disclaimer if you wish) - if doing the needle-nose pliers trick on your inside (110 volt) lights - PLEASE remember to shut down the appropriate circuit at the breaker box.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

It has been raining since around 4:30 so I didn't get a chance to mess with it. I called a local RV Dealers Parts Counter and they have the whole assembly in stock for $14 so I will just pick one up tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

Those sockets are available at almost all auto parts stores for just a few dollars.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #10

OK so it finally stopped raining for a while. I go out and install new assembly. I hook up the pigtail to the truck and I have this happening, turn signal works without headlights on, with the headlights on the turn signal bulb stays on like as if I was stepping on the brake. Any suggestions?

Tags
led pad