Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #11

I was lucky enough to buy a trailer with LED interior lighting, but would have switched to LED if I hadn't been so lucky. The LEDs look expensive, and not worth it if you do a simple cost/kilowatt calc. But they DO make sense if you figure that you could maybe own/maintain one less deep-cycle battery, and maybe even avoid draining and wrecking a deep-cycle battery. My $0.02

TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
I was lucky enough to buy a trailer with LED interior lighting, but would have switched to LED if I hadn't been so lucky. The LEDs look expensive, and not worth it if you do a simple cost/kilowatt calc. But they DO make sense if you figure that you could maybe own/maintain one less deep-cycle battery, and maybe even avoid draining and wrecking a deep-cycle battery. My $0.02
Depending on the cost of the LED, they pay for themselves in very little time. I changed 3 bulbs at home in the front of our house from 60W incandescent to 11w LED bulbs. I figured that the bulbs would pay for themselves in about 7 months, and at their usage rate they will last about 17 years. Each bulb was $7. I figured that these 60w incandescent bulbs running from dusk to midnight (controlled by home automation system) is 8.5 hours on Dec 21 and 3.5 hours on June 21, averaging 6 hours per day throughout the year. 6 hours * 180 watts = 1080 watts, or just over 1kwh. Multiply that over an average of 30 days per month and it's 32.4 kwh per month. Same math, but using 33 watts instead of 180, and that's 5.94 kwh per month. Our cost per kwh is about 11 cents. $3.56 per month for incandescent, and $0.65 per month for LED. A savings of $2.91/mo. 3 bulbs were about $20 with tax, so about 7 months for them to pay for themselves. If they actually last 17 years, that means they will save me $558 over the next 16 years.

Those same bulbs are now $4.98 at Home Depot, meaning they will pay for themselves even faster.

Tags
light