Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Retractable Step Not Working

2016 Forester 2401R - Our step will not retract automatically. The manual says nothing. Is there a way to manually retract it? Is there a way to reset something so it will work? I've checked all the coach fuses and some of the chassis fuses. They're OK.

Thanks,

Ron
EagleRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

Turn your ignition switch to on with the door closed to see if they will retract. They are supposed to retract irregardless of the step switch position. If they retract make sure the step switch is on (ignition off) when closing the door and they should retract. If they retract with the ignition on but not with the switch and door as stated you may have a wiring issue. If the steps will not retract with either scenario your door magnetic switch may have an issue. These operational procedures are predicated on the wiring being ok. Make sure your battery disconnect switch has not disconnected your battery in case the step power wire was routed thru the battery disconnect relay.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #3

Additionally, you do not have to start your engine to check the ignition step interlock. Just turn key to the on position and the steps should retract with the door closed.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #4

Thanks!!! I'll try that!

Ron
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

If your steps still don't work you said you checked the fuses. The power fuse for the steps is an inline 25 amp fuse connected directly to the coach (not chassis) battery. Have you checked that one?
Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #6

Thanks Bubbles,

I'm about to go out and try the things you suggest. What bugs me is if it's a fuse, why did a fuse blow in the first place. It could be a weak fuse, but it's more likely a faulty motor or gear mechanism. Carrying spare fuses around to get the step back seems like no fun. And if the magnet isn't causing reliable switching, that too seems like a poor situation. I wish I could count on the service technicians to find root cause and fix it. But...

Ron
Old 06-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If your having a In-line fuse problem, you can replace it with a Short Stop Circuit Breaker..
Attached Images

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

Dgingell

Hi Rick,

I had a similar problem this past winter, I had just returned from having some repairs completed at the dealership and within a couple of days the steps all of sudden did not retract with the door closed or when the ignition turned on. I was a little upset because the dealer was supposed to fix the steps from going in and out on their own, so I thought they had messed up the whole repair and now the steps would not go in. With some further investigation I checked for a in-line fuse behind the steps and next to the coach battery compartment, and sure enough the fuse was blown, I changed the fuse and the steps worked as they should. During my research to find a resolution to the problem I found that we should grease the steps (once a month suggested) to maintain smooth opening and closing of the steps, I had not done any greasing since I purchased the RV over a year and half ago. I believe what happened is the gears got stuck (no grease) and the fuse went. This was my experience maybe you had something similar happen.
Good Luck,
Dennis
dgingell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #9

After the linkage between gear and steps broke twice, I am careful to allow the steps to fully extend and lock before stepping on them. Also more careful of parking where steps hit the ground at curbs, etc. There is supposed to be a safety stop for that but better safe than sorry!!
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #10

Also check the ground connections to the steps. They could be loose or corroded. There is quite a bit of troubleshooting info online. Try searching RV steps troubleshooting.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for helping out!!!! I took the rig back the dealer to get the step fixed. As it turned out, it was a blown fuse after all. It was "hidden" under a much bigger fuse I missed. Now I know...

I'm going to "exercise" the step a lot today to make sure there is no underlying reason the step fuse blew. And I now have a supply of backup fuses...

Ron