Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #1

Reverse Polarity showing on surge protector

I have a Mini-Lite 1901 with 30 amp power. I have a surge protector with indicator lights that will show a Reverse Polarity condition. I do not have a 30 amp plug at my home so I have used an adaptor to allow me to plug into a normal household plug just to keep the battery charged.

Today, I plugged in my camper power cord to surge protector to adaptor to extension cord and the lights showed Reverse Polarity. I've only done this once before and can't be 100% sure but am almost certain I checked those lights the first time and all was well. Today, I was using a new 15 amp extension cord in a different outdoor plug than before so I first changed to the plug I'd used before and still RP. I then went back to the extension cords I was using before and still RP. Then, I unplugged the camper power cord and just had the surge protector plugged into the adaptor then into the power cord and the lights were normal - no RP. That really confused me and I don't know where to go from here. I wouldn't think it would matter but since it's power related, I'll note that my RV battery is turned off.

I appreciate any ideas as to what else to test. I just returned from a trip where all things worked normally and indicator lights for power were good. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Ohm out the extension cord. Maybe it was made wrong.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #3

do you have one of those circuit testers with the 3 lights on it (under $10 at any hardware store)? you could use it to check the receptacle and extension cords. if all was well then plug in the adapter and surge protector and see if it agrees.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #4

mfMcfroggierPod, I tried 2 different extension cords in 2 different plugs with same results.

Chickdoe, I do not have a tester but I have a friend who may come tomorrow to test it for me.

I'm really thinking something has gone wrong with the surge protector at this point and it's just giving false readings. But I'll get it verified through testing the power plugs to be sure.

thanks for y'alls responses.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #5

if I remember there was a similar post a few weeks ago where a statement was made that the surge protector gave a false reading when it was used with a 15 amp to 30 amp adapter. is it possible there is a problem with the adapter? if you have a multimeter and know how to use it you could take voltage measurements out of the adapter to verify if it is correct. based upon what you have said i'm thinking of a false reading from the surge protector but I can't be sure without testing the receptacle (the adapter) that the surge protector actually plugs into. at this point you probably need to verify the power that the surge protector sees. one other option would be to take the surge protector to a nearby campground and plug it into a 30 amp circuit there and see what it reports.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #6

It's just weird that when the camper is not plugged in to the surge protector, the SP reads the power coming to it as normal but when the camper power cord is plugged into the SP, the SP reads reverse polarity. I may not understand the circuitry but the source of the power has not changed and that's what the SP is supposed to be reading right? But I will get my friend to test the polarity at each connection point along the line.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #7

wow! that's not right! I also believe the surge protector measures and reports on the incoming power. whether anything is connected to the output or not should make no difference. time to get on the phone to the manufacturer and have them explain. I wouldn't worry about measuring the power you have. make that phone call!
Old 07-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #8

I'm interested in what you find out. I too used a regular outlet from our carport for awhile without any problems. Then one day, I had the RP reading. I changed out the receptical and still read RP. Even then changed the wire connections to the receptical and still RP. Finally gave up and had an electrician put me a 30 amp RV outlet on the wall wired directly back to my electric panel. Haven't had any problem since with readings and can safely run A/C and everything else I need.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:03 PM   #9

It might be interesting to know make and model of the surge protector. There have been other posts about this issue. I wonder if it happens with any particular make or model surge protector.
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show