Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Reverse polarity shutdown

I've been Using an outside 120 v outlet to keep shore power to the TT whenever parked at home for the last 8 mos. I've had the A/C on before to cool things down and never had any problems. Today, I had the A/C on for a couple of hours and when I went out to turn it off, i found it wasn't on. Neither was the clock on the microwave. I checked my surge protector and it showed reversed polarity.
I changed to another outlet and the surger protector showed everything green and I powered up the A/C to make sure it still worked and it did. The clock on the microwave was also back.
I plan to check the problem outlet tomorrow and replace it but curious as to why it would go from normal polarity reading to reversed by itself. Any ideas?
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:54 PM   #2

I don't much about surge protectors since I never plug into "shore" power.

My understanding is that reverse polarity means the surge protector is seeing voltage on the neutral line that it's not expecting.

A bad outlet, loose wires in outlet, or loose wiring in your "shore" plug connector may be at fault.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:40 AM   #3
Sky&Scuba

Couple of things could be going on here.

One your Surge Protector just decided to show you an issue that has been going on for a while and did not show up before. This is Highly unlikely but can happen.

Two running the AC on you 120VAC plug all this time has caught up and heated that plug to cause it to fail and possibly cause a short inside.

I run an autoformer that I installed inside the camper and run the AC and also watch the Voltage. Without the autoformer your voltage can and will probably drop to 109 or so with just the AC on and that really drives up the amp draw and then makes heat.

Next time you run the AC for a while feel your extension cable near the outlet and see how hot it gets. Even with the autoformer boosting it back up to 120 it gets warm.

I use the Hughes 30amp Autoformer

https://www.amazon.com/30-Amp-3-600-Watt/dp/B001FCG9E8

And I use this to monitor my voltage

https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product...dp/B000BRFTH6/

Here is a thread I started when we traded campers on the install.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ks-111535.html