Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisc View Post
Woot, thanks for this testimonial... now I'm starting to feel a bit more excited about this whole thing. I absolutely want this to be easy for me. Sure, it sounds nice to have some panels on the roof as well, but I'm not going to do that and finding someone else to do it on relatively short notice has been very tedious. I'm thinking Zamp is the perfect solution and honestly, from a price standpoint, is much cheaper than it would be for me to take my rig 120 mile round trip to my dealer and pay for them to install something.

I was looking at Solardealz last night and their prices looked pretty decent, so will definitely spend more time looking tonight.

What size extension did you get and was it the Zamp cable? I saw their 15ft cable but didn't see anything longer than that.

The extension was the Zamp 15 foot. Keep in mind the longer the cable the less actual current you are getting to your battery, it becomes less efficient. I have found I can pretty much reach full sun somewhere within that 30 foot radius, otherwise I need to adjust my trailer position. I only attach the extension on an as needed basis.
On my first trailer I also installed a 1500 W inverter, heavy gauge wire, and a cut off switch, all done by the local dealer. That was all about wanting to be able to use my microwave a few minutes a day, plus plug in the coffee maker when I wanted. Those two things are huge users of battery power. I sized my solar needs around that, and determined that I needed 160 W system.
When we upgraded this year to a new trailer I decided not to spend the money on the large inverter and installation, and rather invested in a inverter generator that could also run my air conditioning in the summer when needed. I'll simply start it up on an as needed basis to run the microwave or coffeemaker, then shut it down. Continue to use my solar panels as my main source of power. Of course, at this point, I could probably get away with a 100 W system since my heavy usage is accommodated with the generator.
You will love the Zamp system, top quality, great case, and all you do is unpack it, set it up and plug it in. Easy!
I have never regretted spending the extra money on the Zamp system, I simply wasn't going to piecemeal it together and assemble it, I was not confident in my knowledge or abilities. And personally, when I've got $50,000 tied up between trailer and truck just to go camping, trying to save a couple hundred dollars on something that was that important to me, the right high-quality solar set up, just doesn't add up in my book
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #22

"160w will be a decent portable system to extend your power for short trips but won't be enough eliminate the need to run the charging system on the MH or run a small gen every few days"

That statement is not correct. 160 W solar system is much more efficient charging your batteries than a very inefficient converter on your trailer is.
You're single biggest power hog is the microwave oven, assuming you are only using that for a few minutes daily, along with regular use of your LED lights, fans, pump, radio, etc., you are only going to use around 60 to 75 amp hours daily. Drop off the microwave use and you are at a fraction of that number.
Your 160 W system can easily produce that daily in full sun, keeping your batteries indefinitely charged at 100%. Have a couple of cloudy or rainy days, in which you can still produce some energy, And you can easily get back to 100% charge on your next sunny day. Simply manage your high usage items, such as the microwave. You could live indefinitely in a trailer with just a 160 W system
Old 04-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #23

I have same Sunseeker with ZAMP plug on side
Last year reached out and asked the forum and all answers said u do not need to spend double for solar fro ZAMP
Bought a Renogy 100Watt from amazon and only modification was the plug
Keep the SS batteries and other charged w/o issue
Only draw back the monitor is not waterproof
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #24

Check this out.
http://www.solardealz.com/B-Stock-Zamp-Solar-160-Watt-Portable-p/zs-160-p-x.htm
This is a blemished model, same components, about $300 cheaper. Only two in stock. Looks like a great deal.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
Last year reached out and asked the forum and all answers said u do not need to spend double for solar fro ZAMP
Huge difference in build quality and components between those 2 brands. There's a reason they cost less, and it's not just Asian made vs American made with a 25 yr warranty. Your monitor not being waterproof is a perfect example. Vs Zamps weatherproof waterproof 5 stage digital controller. That's just one of many differences.
If your only consideration is price, then Renogy is a choice, just as a low end cheaply made car is a price choice over a higher end better equipped quality car. I understand, some folks don't care about the car or how it's made or how long it'll last, they just want to get there.
Folks who say there's no reason to spend more just don't know the reasons or don't understand the differences, doesn't mean there aren't any.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablindmule View Post
Check this out.
http://www.solardealz.com/B-Stock-Zamp-Solar-160-Watt-Portable-p/zs-160-p-x.htm
This is a blemished model, same components, about $300 cheaper. Only two in stock. Looks like a great deal.
Actually the kit is only $679 without blemishes at the solar store. That's the best deal I've found so far.
alexisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablindmule View Post
You will love the Zamp system, top quality, great case, and all you do is unpack it, set it up and plug it in. Easy!
This is exactly what I need it to be like. No fuss, no messing with wires, easy! ☺️
Old 04-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
So you have to bring the panels in when it rains?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:56 AM   #29
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisc View Post
So you have to bring the panels in when it rains?
Only if you don't have waterproof connections and the controller isn't weather proof. I would for the simple reason that you aren't going to be getting a whole lot of solar charging if it is raining. If it is a passing shower I would leave them out.

I have a Renogy 100 watt suitcase that I have been using for a couple of years now. It does what I need. The single biggest issue with solar is making sure the wiring is up to the correct size so it doesn't cut down on the amps. My 100 watt panels put out just shy of 6 amps in full sun, I use a #10 cable up to 15' long and hookup to the RV with a Furrion port.

Nothing wrong with the Zamp products, in some cases I think some of their components are a bit over priced, but they do have turn key systems that make it easier to get started with solar.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

Nothing wrong with the Zamp products, in some cases I think some of their components are a bit over priced.
A bit overpriced?

Plenty of equal to or better stuff out there for less $.

They have a deal with Forest River to provide them the port and sticker to install, and that makes a lot of people run out and buy Zamp's overpriced products. FR is getting something kicked back along the way or they would not be using it.

It's no different than the FR divisions that install the Furrion camera mounts that are proprietary to the overpriced Furrion cameras, I shelled out the cash for the observation camera and although it works, I still kick myself for knowing it was not worth what was paid for it. In hindsight there are much better camera systems out there for less.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:10 AM   #31

We have the Zamp 120 suitcase and love it. It was all about the convenience and because it folds, it is easy to handle and store. We had also installed a second battery that was paralleled and the Zamp kept both charged. We took a 3 month trip to the SW and admittedly had a lot of sun. We stayed mostly in parks w/o electric and were very pleased. I had done a lot of research on one big panel, other brands, mount or not and we decided on having the option of moving it to follow the sun. The added expense was worth it to us. We did buy the extension and a chain lock. Hope this helps.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablover View Post
We have the Zamp 120 suitcase and love it. It was all about the convenience and because it folds, it is easy to handle and store. We had also installed a second battery that was paralleled and the Zamp kept both charged. We took a 3 month trip to the SW and admittedly had a lot of sun. We stayed mostly in parks w/o electric and were very pleased. I had done a lot of research on one big panel, other brands, mount or not and we decided on having the option of moving it to follow the sun. The added expense was worth it to us. We did buy the extension and a chain lock. Hope this helps.
Very helpful - thank you!!

I will definitely be in places where there is a lot of tree cover (mountains and forests), so having something that is movable feels like the right move. It's also considerably cheaper than me having someone install anything on the roof, which would end up being a waste if I'm parked in the share most of the time while I'm at camp.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #33

This summer we will be going to Montana, Wyoming and Idaho for 3 months. Lots more shade there. We will see how the solar works on this trip.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #34

A quick note, based on the "pre-wired" connection that is on my 8280WS, it is a quick connection that is directly to my battery. The issue here is that there is no control unit. So, if you are going to use this type of configuration, you should also have a controller as to prevent over charging the battery or other issues.
duby325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #35

Portable Zamp

I have a 120 Watt Zamp charger, the suitcase kind.

It works great and keeps my single battery fully charged. Partial shade occasionally didn't seem to impact the charging on test day.

No problem boondocking with the Zamp charger.
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by duby325 View Post
A quick note, based on the "pre-wired" connection that is on my 8280WS, it is a quick connection that is directly to my battery. The issue here is that there is no control unit. So, if you are going to use this type of configuration, you should also have a controller as to prevent over charging the battery or other issues.
The Zamp portable panels come with a charge controller.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
I have a 120 Watt Zamp charger, the suitcase kind.

It works great and keeps my single battery fully charged. Partial shade occasionally didn't seem to impact the charging on test day.

No problem boondocking with the Zamp charger.
Good to hear. I'm thinking of getting the 160 portable. It's only a few bucks more than the 120, so seems like a good option.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 AM   #38

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Wu
Quote:
Originally Posted by duby325 View Post
My thought is that connector would make a great trickle/maintenence charge connection while in storage...
Doc Wu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar