Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #1

Right half of circuit breaker panel doesn't work

So I have an electrical problem I can’t diagnose. Half of my 120V AC electrical panel doesn’t work. All 12V systems work fine.

2017 Rockwood Sig Ultra Light 8280 fifth wheel.
Power Center: WFCO 8950 (see picture below)

We were full hookups for a few days before the ABQ Balloon Fiesta. No problems. Got to the Fiesta and were on battery/generator the whole time. Other than charging the batteries, the only thing I used the gen for was microwave and toaster, so I didn’t notice other things that didn’t work.

Left at the end of Fiesta and went to a full hookup park on the way back home. The next morning I got up and turned on the electric fireplace and realized it wouldn’t come on. Didn’t give it a second thought until I went to take a shower and there was no hot water (water heater was on electric heat). Went and checked the breakers and none were tripped. Tripped and reset them to no avail.

I then pulled out the fireplace and tested it in a working outlet, worked great. Tested the outlet behind the fireplace and there was zero voltage. I then checked the two leads on the water heater and no voltage.

Turns out that the right side of the breaker panel, nothing works. Everything on the left side of the panel works (with the exception of the AC, since it has breakers on both sides). Obviously the two ganged Main breakers work (or maybe just one).

Thought it might have been the campground power. I have tried two different power sources and a generator. I’ve also tried two different external power cords. All different configurations end in the same result.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6136.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	217817  
SoCalSunLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Double check to see if your 50amp power cord is plugged all the way in to the socket on the side of the trailer, turned right all the way to the stop, lock ring completely tight.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Double check to see if your 50amp power cord is plugged all the way in to the socket on the side of the trailer, turned right all the way to the stop, lock ring completely tight.
Dan, thanks. That was one of the first things I checked, and what led me to trying a second cord, also ensuring that it was fully seated.

Appreciate the reply.
SoCalSunLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #4

Right half of circuit breaker panel doesn't work

Your dual-ganged, 50-amp breaker seems to be a little crooked. I'd remove exterior power at the panel or gen-set, remove the breaker cover plate, remove the dual breaker and inspect for arcing or soot on the breaker slots, as well as on the power buss-bar where the breaker snaps in. If you're not an electrically-inclined individual with a voltmeter, reinstall the breaker and breaker panel cover. Apply external power, ensuring you have cycled-off/on the 50-amp breaker, and retry your appliances.
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #5

this is resolvable. whether you can do it or not depends on how comfortable you are with a multimeter and 120 volt power.

you are not getting one leg of the 50 amp power to the panel. there are several junctions in the power path from the pedestal to your power panel. one of those junctions has a loose connection. since you say you do not get that leg both on shore power and generator power the loose connection is somewhere common to both.

if you have an internal transfer switch it might have a loose connection. look carefully at the common output connections as you say the problem is common to both shore power and generator power. (i am assuming a built in generator. if you plug your shore power cord into the generator this would not apply). as mentioned earlier look carefully at the incoming connections at you main 50 amp circuit breaker. i'd strongly suspect an issue at one of these two locations.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
Your dual-ganged, 50-amp breaker seems to be a little crooked. I'd remove exterior power at the panel or gen-set, remove the breaker cover plate, remove the dual breaker and inspect for arcing or soot on the breaker slots, as well as on the power buss-bar where the breaker snaps in. If you're not an electrically-inclined individual with a voltmeter, reinstall the breaker and breaker panel cover. Apply external power, ensuring you have cycled-off/on the 50-amp breaker, and retry your appliances.
I saw the same thing. The crooked breakers appear to be the main input breakers (labelled MAIN) which distribute power to the 2 buss bars. One of the ganged breakers is probably not making contact with its buss bar.

Also check the incoming power wires connecting to the main breakers are secure and tight. When you have the breaker out, give each wire a good hard tug to make sure it is not loose. If a wire is loose, you need to pull it out, tightly wrap the strands (if stranded wire), reinsert the wire completely, and torque the locking screw pretty hard.

Then reinsert the breakers and make sure they are latched on the buss bars. The breakers should look pretty even when done. Put the panel cover back on before turning power back on.

If worst comes to worst, and the MAIN dual breaker is in bad shape, you now know how to replace it.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #7

Outside electrical connection

I had a similar problem, the plug where you plug cord in had a loose wire on the back side of plug, remove the plug there are 2 screws next to the blades remove them plug will pull apart, mine only had about 1/4" wire stripped back I striped more so had at least 1/2" wire showing shoved it all way into plug and re tightened
McLeod family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #8

Right Half Of Circuit Breaker Panel Doesn't Work

Replace main breaker it looks like one side has tripped if cannot reset it should be replaced and it will be fine
Juanuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #9

Try using a 30 amp plug and see if both sides of your panel works. This will narrow down your things to look at if it works out.

if you have power to both sides of your panel then look at the cord and input breaker.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Try using a 30 amp plug and see if both sides of your panel works. This will narrow down your things to look at if it works out.

if you have power to both sides of your panel then look at the cord and input breaker.
I like this suggestion! I hadn't thought of that method of hashing down the problem.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #11

Good eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
Good eye!
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker