Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

Rockwood 2706ws wiring diagram and inverter install

Hey guys, I just bought my first TT and while i was waiting the time that they build it, i wanted to start looking at how and where i can add an inverter so i can run everything off of the batt. Is there anyplace i can get the wiring diagram for a 2018 Rockwood 2706ws. I. Going to go with a set of 6V deepcycle batts and a 2k inverter (im guessing at what ill need for the entertainment center and outlets with a coffee machine) i want to use a transfer switch but it seems you have to do each breaker instead of lighting up the whole AC panel. Most inverters have a GFCI duplex and not hardwired so can you use 2 transfer switchs, one in each plug of the GFCI outlet and light up 2 circuits? Sorry for blabbing on, my mind is running 1000 MPH
lennyk325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry to say but seriously doubt that you'll find one or be able to acquire one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:40 AM   #3

Ok thank you for replying
Old 01-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #4

Congrats on the new trailer. I think bikendan is correct. The only thing I think you might be able to get is a diagram of the fuse box but even that will be minimal info.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Always Learning

For an inverter, I've been backfeeding the camper from the inverter by simply taking an extension cord from the inverter to the shore power inlet on the camper. Then I manage the load by simply turning off/on breakers. Always make sure that the converter itself is OFF, otherwise you can end up in a spiral death loop of charging batteries via the inverter. Fortunately my inverter is too small and the converter charger overloads it immediately.

It's a hassle though, especially if switching between generator and inverter as I have to go outside and switch what cord is plugged into the camper.

BUT, what I've wanted to do is make 2 specific circuits be automatically switched from the inverter using 2 of these:
Inline Transfer Relay

This would let me run a wire or two from the inverter w/ plugs on that end to these transfer switches. They'd then be installed for the 2 specific breakers that cover most of my house outlets.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Always Learning

And there isn't a diagram. You have to play it by ear and see what works for you. I did a bunch of reading on different topics (to the point that it got painful!).

Here's the diagram I put together for my setup:

Old 01-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

Thank you so much for this info and thank you for the welcome and congrats. This gives me an idea, if i get an inverter/charger with a transfer switch i 'think' i can put a transfer switch where the power comes into the breaker box, disconnect the stock charger(inverter will charge the batts) and install a monitor, cutoff switch, and ground block, with like 4 6v in series and parallel @260Ah each. What do you guys think?
Old 01-29-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

One way of doing this is to get rid of the lame factory converter and do the job right with a combo inverter/charger. Xantrex makes a great 2000w pure sine wave inverter which is also a 55w battery charger when one hooks up to shore power or gen set. It is a multi phase charger. Hard wire this in so that shore power directly feeds it. While charging batts, it will pass thru A/C from the shore power or gen set to rest of trailer. At the level of A/C coming in, not just the 2000w it ouputs in inverter mode. When disconnected from shore power it immediately starts being an inverter and supplying A/C.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
One way of doing this is to get rid of the lame factory converter and do the job right with a combo inverter/charger. Xantrex makes a great 2000w pure sine wave inverter which is also a 55w battery charger when one hooks up to shore power or gen set. It is a multi phase charger. Hard wire this in so that shore power directly feeds it. While charging batts, it will pass thru A/C from the shore power or gen set to rest of trailer. At the level of A/C coming in, not just the 2000w it ouputs in inverter mode. When disconnected from shore power it immediately starts being an inverter and supplying A/C.
First thank you for the info!

Today i came across that Inverter, its the freedom HFS 2k inverter with the 55A charger, i. Also going to pick up 4 Trojen T 145 6V batts @ 260Ah and doing what you said above but i have one question....if i install the Xantrex inverter the AC side ties into one circut and the DC side gets fused and connects to the batts. How does the DC side of the panel get power if i remove the converter? Also every vidio i see they tie the AC side of the inverter to just one breaker and not the whole AC block. The only thing i can think is they are backfeeding the breaker from the inverter...
Old 01-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

6 v battery`s

Ependydad!! on your diagram you end up with 6 volt DC output only !
Jonol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonol View Post
Ependydad!! on your diagram you end up with 6 volt DC output only !
You're right. The diagram should be labeled- I'm using 12v batteries and end up with 12v output.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
And there isn't a diagram. You have to play it by ear and see what works for you. I did a bunch of reading on different topics (to the point that it got painful!).

Here's the diagram I put together for my setup:

And all of this from a guy that doesn't like electricity. Doug, I'm impressed!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
And all of this from a guy that doesn't like electricity. Doug, I'm impressed!

You don’t have any idea how long I took making and revising that! Plus once I went to wire everything up, I kept going back to it. Hell, when I move the batteries in a couple of weeks- I’ll be referring to it again!
Old 01-29-2018, 10:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyk325 View Post
First thank you for the info!

Today i came across that Inverter, its the freedom HFS 2k inverter with the 55A charger, i. Also going to pick up 4 Trojen T 145 6V batts @ 260Ah and doing what you said above but i have one question....if i install the Xantrex inverter the AC side ties into one circut and the DC side gets fused and connects to the batts. How does the DC side of the panel get power if i remove the converter? Also every vidio i see they tie the AC side of the inverter to just one breaker and not the whole AC block. The only thing i can think is they are backfeeding the breaker from the inverter...
You would need to add another breaker box and route the A/C, WH, the main 120V power feed and Converter through this breaker box. You would also need an additional Transfer Switch. I've got my trailer set so all 120V outlets work of the inverter. i keep the breakers off on the electric water heater,A/C and Converter. The batteries supply the 12V for lighting, fridge, etc.

The only problem I've run into with my set-up is that the inverter GFCI trips before the mechanical transfer switch when using my generator and forget to turn off the inverter. The inverter is in the forward storage compartment(remote on/off) so I have to go outside to reset the GFCI. I believe this is due to the generator and GFCI sharing the same ground (trailer frame)

I can send you the wiring diagram of what I did if interested.

Gary
GeeDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeDubb View Post

Gary

Yes, please.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #16

Here is a series of videos that explain how inverter/charger replaces converter and how it all works. For those so inclined, there are a set of 4 videos associated with this one on how to go about this.

https://youtu.be/o8BFWij7-dg
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeDubb View Post
You would need to add another breaker box and route the A/C, WH, the main 120V power feed and Converter through this breaker box. You would also need an additional Transfer Switch. I've got my trailer set so all 120V outlets work of the inverter. i keep the breakers off on the electric water heater,A/C and Converter. The batteries supply the 12V for lighting, fridge, etc.

The only problem I've run into with my set-up is that the inverter GFCI trips before the mechanical transfer switch when using my generator and forget to turn off the inverter. The inverter is in the forward storage compartment(remote on/off) so I have to go outside to reset the GFCI. I believe this is due to the generator and GFCI sharing the same ground (trailer frame)

Gary
This is awesome, thank you for the info and seeing your diagram would help so much, thank you
Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Here is a series of videos that explain how inverter/charger replaces converter and how it all works. For those so inclined, there are a set of 4 videos associated with this one on how to go about this.

https://youtu.be/o8BFWij7-dg
I’m going to watch these now , thank you
Old 01-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #19

Hey guys, from all your info and what i have seen on the internet, this is what i have come up with. Now be kind Im waiting on my first RV so i have no knowlage of RV untill 3 days ago! One Q, how does the DC panel get its power?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/41222869@N06/CD446j
Old 01-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #20

Wiring Diagram

first attempt failed

Here is the wiring diagram of what I did to my toy hauler....

Gary
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sandstorm Generator Inverter Wiring Rev C.pdf (46.7 KB, 153 views)
GeeDubb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diagram, inverter, rockwood, wiring