Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Rockwood 5er Shore Power issues

We arrived at our campgrounds yesterday and we were given a 30 amp service. Since we were not using A/C in the 50 degree weather, we expected we'd be OK.

We were not getting power into the unit through the normal power set up so I asked the office to check the pedestal. They confirmed that power was good.

We have a 2015 Sig ultra lite 8289 ws and are very new to this. NO previous experience.

So when things started beeping, we determined that we were using battery power. Question. Does shore power work if the battery isn't off? In my experience at home I have 110 hooked into the rig most of the time when it's idle.

So then we asked the office to check the pedestal again, and they said power was good to the unit but no power inside. I had checked the fuses and breakers and everything looked good there.

I was using a new adapter to hook my 50 amp service to 30 amps at the pedestal. So I pulled everything apart and hooked my umbilical power line to a 50 amp to 110 house current and plugged that in. Now everything works. Furnace, fireplace, microwave, fridge and so on.

What did I miss?

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
More issues with power

Part 2.

So since our last adventure we stayed at two parks. The first was 50 amp and we had zero issues. Plugged the power cable to the pedestal and everything worked fine. Two days later we set up in Ontario and we using the same set up but again with the 50 to 30 amp converter, we can turn on lights but not the fireplace or the A/C. I check the board and nothing appears amiss, nothing tripped.

The park checks the dog bone and pronounces it good and so too the pedestal. Tells me I better call the dealer because it's a rig issue. Next day I remember an old 30 Amp converter I had early on. I hitch up the surge protector and get a L2 code, so I use the old converter and everything works like a charm. I don't fault either park for suggesting it might be the 5er but for a relative newby, I learned something and am just happy that everything works. Really glad I had a spare.

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, power, rockwood

« Slide out | Battery »