Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Running and clearance lights don't work on 2015 2500TS

I'm new to this forum and the RV world in the last 2 months. We purchased a 2015 Sunseeker 2500S in late August and are having a lot of fun with it although we have only spent 7 nights in it so far. Lots of plans for the future though.
A big issue came up last night while traveling home from a couple of days on the road. I was notified by a passing motorist that I had no rear lights on either my coach or the towed car. Now, I've towed stuff for decades and always check the lights prior to driving which I did last yesterday, however I did this during the afternoon in daylight. Once the headlights were turned on, the clearance lights and running lights apparently failed to work. I pulled over in a shopping center and after checking the fuses in the cab of my Ford E-450, I found that fuse #22 was blown. I put in another fuse and it blew right away. The hazards, turn signals, and brake lights continued to work but none of the clearance lights or tail lights would function. Since we were only about 40 miles from home we drove home with the towed car and the RV using flashers. It would appear as if I could run during the day with no problem but not at night.
I did some preliminary trouble shooting today with no luck. Various forums seem to indicate that this issue is bounced back and forth between Ford and FR with no happy endings. Obviously it is a warranty item but I'd like to have a bit more knowledge as to what is most likely the area of the problem to head off a back and forth issue.
My guess is that it is FR problem. After removing as many panels and covers that I could to try to gain access to any wiring paths, I gave up. Is most of the wiring inside of the walls? Certainly any connections would have to be accessible by code I would think and yet I couldn't find any areas where the chassis wiring is connected to the coach wiring to be able to determine who has the problem.
Can anyone give me any guidance on this issue. In spite of the warranty issues, I'd really like to be able to locate the problem and fix it myself. The more I learn about the systems in the RV , the more comfortable I'll be as time goes on. Perhaps someone has experienced the same problem and could help me out.

Thanks,

Mark
bowlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you try running just the clearance lights without the headlights to see if it still blows the fuse?

If it's just blowing the clearance/running light fuse it's somewhere in that circuit. It could be as simple as a shorted bulb.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #3

I found on my unit that there were exposed bare wire outside of the wire nuts.
Does the fuse blow without the towed vehicle connect to the tow rig?
If not it's the towed vehicle wiring...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

If it does than if your motivated remove all lenses and bulbs and put one back in at a time until it blows another fuse. When the fuse blows this will at least get you searching in the right location....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, light