Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
GWW

Running Lights

With my travel trailer connected to my pickup I was changing out one of the running lights and accidentally touched the hot wire to a ground. All running lights went off on the trailer but not the pickup. ( I should not have had the lights on.) I checked the fuse box on the pickup - none burnt out. I even unhooked from the trailer & hooked up to another trailer. All lights worked. I reconnected to the travel trailer - still no running lights. All other lights work. I would appear there must be a fuse on the travel trailer for the running lights but I have not found it??? GWW
GWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

First of all you might get more info if we could know the make model and year to better help you diagnose your problem .

NORMALLY there is no fuses for your camper running lights,tail lights, and turn signals mounted within your camper. Everything is run off of your tv .
Follow your camper wires back from the hitching point and not far from there you should find a junction box. You may be able to find a short there from you shorting your lights wire . and there MAY be a fuse there .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #3

On some trucks there are seperate fuses for the trailer connector-possibly in a different fuse box seperate from the main one.
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

I did the same thing on an 02 GMC. There is a second fuse panel under the hood, the trailer fuses are in that panel. I looked, my 96 F250 has the same configuration, so I assume it is a standard across all models. Find the panel under the hood and you will find your blown fuse.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Since he hooked to another trailer, "I even unhooked from the trailer & hooked up to another trailer. All lights worked.", (from post #1), and all lights worked, you can almost assume the truck fuses are good.

Now chase the pigtail on the camper, back to the electrical junction box, open the cover, and inspect wiring there. The brown wire should be for the running lights. Remove the wire nut, and check for voltage, with the camper plugged in to the truck, and running lights on. Don't let the bare wire touch anything. If you have voltage there, report back, and we'll list some more checks.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote