Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #1

Running Lights

It seems that I have a real problem. Maybe someone can give me some help. The problem is that when I turn on the running lights after about 20 miles down the road it blows the 20 amp fuse in my truck and they go out. The rest of the lights still work, tail and break. I took it to the dealer and they said that it is in my truck wiring. Ford say's it's in the trailer. The Ford answer makes sense to me because the fuse will not blow until the trailer is plugged in. I think that going down the road with bumps and vibration it must be hitting a staple or rubbing against metal. When I put a new fuse in it works again for about the same amount of time. If the trailer is at the dealer sitting in the bay it will not blow the fuse. How can you find the short is my question. Thanks in advance for any help or comments. Unit is a #8289WS Rockwood 2012.......
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk
It seems that I have a real problem. Maybe someone can give me some help. The problem is that when I turn on the running lights after about 20 miles down the road it blows the 20 amp fuse in my truck and they go out. The rest of the lights still work, tail and break. I took it to the dealer and they said that it is in my truck wiring. Ford say's it's in the trailer. The Ford answer makes sense to me because the fuse will not blow until the trailer is plugged in. I think that going down the road with bumps and vibration it must be hitting a staple or rubbing against metal. When I put a new fuse in it works again for about the same amount of time. If the trailer is at the dealer sitting in the bay it will not blow the fuse. How can you find the short is my question. Thanks in advance for any help or comments. Unit is a #8289WS Rockwood 2012.......
Intermittent shorts can be frustrating !
Especially the ones that only happen from vibration and movement.
Is your unit under warranty ?
If so have the dealer hook it to one of there shop vehicles and tow it around for allotted time and see if it still blows fuse .
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #3

I have the same thing go on, I can jump the plug on the trailer, light will burn for hours, hook up to the truck and the fuse will blow in about 2 miles. The fuse will not blow unless the trailer is hooked to the truck. Any ideas, need help. 8281ws,2012
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

I just got back home with the 5er, 8281ws, 2012. I had a friend pull it with his truck to see if it was the trailer or the truck with the issue, its the trailer, two miles down the road and no running lights. I can jump the plug on the trailer and the lights burn for hours, it only blows the fuse going down the road. Any ideas where to start looking??
darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud
I just got back home with the 5er, 8281ws, 2012. I had a friend pull it with his truck to see if it was the trailer or the truck with the issue, its the trailer, two miles down the road and no running lights. I can jump the plug on the trailer and the lights burn for hours, it only blows the fuse going down the road. Any ideas where to start looking??
At the plug and work your way back.
Sorry.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #6

Same thing happened to my boat trailer. Turn signals and brake lights work fine, but when I turn on head lights (running lights) my fuse blows in minutes. I checked wiring and found a place where the running light wire was grounding out on the frame inside the frame.....
Steve 911 is offline   Reply With Quote