Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #1

Running Lights Problems: 2016 2401W MBS Motorhome

A little long...sorry

Picked up our 2016 this Monday evening (by the time we hit the road). In addition to an unbelievable (to us) quality assurance oversights primarily (definitely not limited to) related to painting and the damage from attempted clean up of same (it is going to be a big deal for FRF to make them all correct).

The focus of this post, and request for insights, is on the failure of our 'running lights'.

After driving about 30 minutes in rain, when we got out of our motorhome for a break and all of the lights on the rear and side of the motorhome would not turn off... When we returned 20 minutes later they remained on. Eventually they turned off (without any intervention from us) and then for a brief (minute or two) period they would behave as they should have by the light switch on the dash...Then they stopped working 100% (would not light up). Brake lights, blinkers and emergency flashers worked appropriately throughout. Late this afternoon the left tail lights turned themselves on and remained on (we could not turn them off) and seemed to impact the side and rear driving cameras (they too took on a mind of their own....turn left and the right camera or rear would come on as examples). After consulting with two Camperworld locations (in person), they suggested we needed to replace the "Power Circuit Protected Trailer Converter by Curt". Well, we replaced the one on the unit with the "EXACT" same model (side note: Forest River should be fully ashamed of the pitiful wiring job they did....PERIOD! And even better the warning printed on the unit say it should be installed "in the vehicle and NOT exposed to the elements....it could not be more exposed the the elements where it is installed). Initially we were ecstatic in that everything worked as it should again to include the driving cameras....we then spent nearly two hours finishing the taping and strapping and such of the wires (most likely someone more experienced would have completed in 1/3 of the time).

The BAD news and the REALIZATION: By the time we finished the work and crawled from under the rig it was pitch dark, and that reflection we had attributed to the sun hitting the LED lights turned out to be the right and left tail lights are equally slighting "on". We now realize that this is the same 'reflection' that we had believed we had seen since the time of our inspection on Monday.

Although this is 10000% a FRF warranty issue, we would be willing to pay to have it just fixed....after spending (no, we are not exaggerating) greater than 36 hours trying to resolve two major issues through FR Corp and selling dealer since Tuesday evening...now Thursday evening (sorry to convey, both have been near zero assistance...again, no exaggeration), several hours at a MB Sprinter dealership, and numerous more at two Camperworlds....and attempting to get a zillion dealers to see and resolve.

Thoughts as to the cause of the tail lights remaining slightly on (guessing less than 10%)?

We are currently beyond unhappy with both FRF corp and selling dealer.
Beach Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

Sorry you are having issues. We took our new 2015 Forester MBS on a three week trip. Found numerous small defects and quality control issues. Generator failed near end of trip while boondocking at Oshkosh. Called CoachNet - little to no help. Nearest dealer refused to see us since we didn't purchase from them. Next closest wouldn't look at coach for two days. Called Forest River. Talked to Travis - said he would help and get right back to me. Two days later I get a voicemail from him telling me to take it to my selling dealer (in a Grand Rapids, MI). Called a local Cummins dealer. Also useless.

My initial impression of FR is poor at best. Waiting to see how well issues get resolved by Cummins and FR dealer locally. If the runaround continues, our new MBS will be sold.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #3

ONLY by a FRF certified service representative taking a chance at loosing his job did our problem get fixed (literally, after realizing the dire situation we were in and their inability to assist us...he slipped us a name and number of someone he believed would be able to fix the problem...he made it clear he could loose his job for this assistance). '

FRF will get our bill and I trust they will pay it....but not the unbelievable frustration and great number of hours taken away from the family we had traveled (arriving late and then not being able to focus on them) to visit.
Beach Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

2016 2401W MBS Motorhome has lost tail lights 4 times sense new all ways to do with that curt box in the rear replaced twice now the right break light stop working every time i get in the rain something new also dealer won't have an opening for a least a month to look at it and Forest River failed to return my call 3x now
Mad Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, motorhome