Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #21

Ive got no problem going 1 night in freezing temps with the stupid little battery FR puts in this beast

2 nights is pushing it if temps are below freezing

If the vehicle wiring is proper, as is the trailer, it should charge 100% while the vehicle is running, but it will take some time. its not going to reach a full charge in 20min, or even an hour due to the voltage drop between the power source and the battery

if the battery is in good condition (it could be a year old and be f'd, or 5 years old and be at 98% capacity), one night on battery shouldnt be anything to even think about. but whenever possible, it is better for you and your batteries to go overboard and have more than what you need in order to reduce sulfation in the batteries and damaging them(due to excessive discharge), and waking up freezin your butt off because the furnace wont kick in LOL.

If i was you, i would plan on going to a larger single battery, or even going to a pair of identical 12v batteries, or a pair of 6v in series if you plan to do this often (increased amp hours, but they can be a PITA in the long run)
Old 10-07-2016, 07:35 AM   #22

Buy a sleeping bag

I camp a lot in cold weather. Just get a good sleeping bag, and turn the heater on in the morning when you wake up. It won't run down your battery, and I find I sleep very well in a warm bag in a cold trailer. When I travel in the winter, I alway carry sleeping bags in my car or truck. You never know when you'll be stranded on the side of a road overnight. It has only happened once, but I was very glad to have food, water, and sleeping bags.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #23

lots of different experiences . I have found that i can run my furnace all night at a comfortable temperature with out draining my batteries for a few nights .of course i have 4 group 24 batteries . either way if the OP was to add a second battery he should be good for one night here and there . i also run my 42" tv off a inverter from the same batteries . have never come close to draining my batteries
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #24

One other thing to keep in mind is if you run a lead/acid battery down too much it can freeze up. Not only will that ruin the battery but it can also blow up when the alternator starts to attempt to charge it (ask me how I know).
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, furnace