Old 06-30-2019, 10:20 PM   #1

RV & Honda eu2000i question.

We have a 2018 Flagstaff 831CLBSS and have the residential fridge powered by the inverter off of 2 12 volt batteries when camping at the National Forest campgrounds.

Our RV is 50 amp service capable, and has the WFCO converter model WF-8930/50. I am looking into the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V Inteli-Power 4600 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard as a replacement unit.

But until then, we have 2 of the Honda eu2000i generators, one of them is the companion model.

Question is, can I use one generator to power the RV as normal, by the original power cord & the 30 to 50 amp dog bone. And one generator to power a separate more adequate 12 volt battery charger connected directly to the batteries? At least for the first 3-4 hours of charge time??

& can I run both chargers at the same time?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Gary.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZR View Post
We have a 2018 Flagstaff 831CLBSS and have the residential fridge powered by the inverter off of 2 12 volt batteries when camping at the National Forest campgrounds.

Our RV is 50 amp service capable, and has the WFCO converter model WF-8930/50. I am looking into the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V Inteli-Power 4600 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard as a replacement unit.

But until then, we have 2 of the Honda eu2000i generators, one of them is the companion model.

Question is, can I use one generator to power the RV as normal, by the original power cord & the 30 to 50 amp dog bone. And one generator to power a separate more adequate 12 volt battery charger connected directly to the batteries? At least for the first 3-4 hours of charge time??

& can I run both chargers at the same time?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Gary.

A qualified yes on first question, which is; Will you be attempting to run an A/C unit with one H2000? Your 2000 may not handle it. If not, one 2000 should handle the TT needs (sans an A/C).

Yes on the portable battery charger. But turn the TT's current charger off, It is not needed and the power to run it can go elsewhere. Take care to not overcharge.

I operate similarly but with a 2000 linked to a 2200. Not because I need it because but because that is what I have.

I too am looking into adding PD charging unit. Then I just might let one genny do it all

Mke

mjacxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

If the converter is putting out 13 or more volts (bulk vs other) then the battery charger will read that voltage and not kick on, or just at a low charge rate. I don't think two chargers (the converter is a charger) in parallel will work.Talk to Randy at Bestconverter.com, he can advise you on converters
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

It takes a really big battery charger to provide more charging than a converter.

Wouldn't hooking up the Honda's to the tt direct charge better?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
It takes a really big battery charger to provide more charging than a converter.

Wouldn't hooking up the Honda's to the tt direct charge better?
X2. One Honda will run pretty much everything except the a/c. Of course big energy draws like micro, coffee pot, hair dryer, can only run one at a time.
We frequently have the converter charging, lights, fan, TV, and stereo all running simultaneously off of one Honda 2000 in eco mode. If we want to run a big appliance also, I will either turn off eco mode or start the other 2000 up.
I've never thought a portable charger was worth carrying around. The charge difference between them and the converter isn't enough.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacxx View Post
A qualified yes on first question, which is; Will you be attempting to run an A/C unit with one H2000? Your 2000 may not handle it. If not, one 2000 should handle the TT needs (sans an A/C).

Yes on the portable battery charger. But turn the TT's current charger off, It is not needed and the power to run it can go elsewhere. Take care to not overcharge.

I operate similarly but with a 2000 linked to a 2200. Not because I need it because but because that is what I have.

I too am looking into adding PD charging unit. Then I just might let one genny do it all

Mke
I would not be running the A/C while on generator power.

Would it be safe to run one generator to the RV while the battery is disconnected by the main disconnect. And then charge the batteries with the separate charger?

I agree this is probably more trouble than it would be worth. Probably just order the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V unit and save a lot of headache.

Gary.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you are introducing a lot of additional work, equipment and potential for a problem. Why not simply connect the two generators in parallel and run RV via the 30A plug.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you are introducing a lot of additional work, equipment and potential for a problem. Why not simply connect the two generators in parallel and run RV via the 30A plug.
Agreed.
I successfully recharge my batteries via a generator using the on-board WFCO converter and it does quite well for our purpose.

Can you change out the WFCO to a PD converter?... sure.
Could you disconnect the battery and use a stand alone charger?... sure.
Do you 'need' to... no.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Gary.
I'm just curious about your concerns of running a/c on generator?
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacxx View Post

Mke
Quote:

Would it be safe to run one generator to the RV while the battery is disconnected by the main disconnect. And then charge the batteries with the separate charger?

I agree this is probably more trouble than it would be worth. Probably just order the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V unit and save a lot of headache.

Gary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm just curious about your concerns of running a/c on generator?
Scott, I believe the OP was merely answering (qualifying) mjacxx's question of whether they planned to use the A/C while on one generator while attempting to do other things.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote