Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 03:28 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeth View Post
I must be missing something. I placed a cup of water in the microwave for 2 min. and monitored the 30 amp breaker hot lead with my amprobe, and only noticed less than a 2 amp draw??
You did miss something. A typical 1100 to 1500 watt microwave will draw 10 and 15 amps using 110 volts as a baseline. ( WATTS DIVIDED BY VOLTS Actual answer depends on actual voltage. What wire did you have your meter clamped around? What color was it? Were you at the pedestal or on the 30 breaker in the trailer? What setting was your amp meter on? 10 amp scale? 100 amp scale? (100 amp scale would be my guess). That would explain the less than 2 amp draw. Less the 20 amps and be about correct.

I have to ask these questions because you are an admitted newbe. The 30 amp hot lead going to the trailer will have much more than 2 amps unless on it unless nothing but the converter is on with minimal or no load. Or just some lighting with no converter running. These things show why you need some electric knowledge to understand what is going on. Do your test using your wife's hair dryer and tell us what you get. Tell us what the wattage tag on you dryer says AND tell us what your voltage is using a voltmeter. With this information, we will be able to tell you if your doing this right and being safe. The dryer (or any appliance) will draw different wattage at different locations (parks, home etc.) depending on how much voltage is at that location.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The use of a clamp on amp-meter requires the knowledge of safely working with live electric connections. Are you capable of doing this? Do you know the difference between ground, neutral and hot wires? The meter must be clamped around the hot wire while energized. NOT AROUND THE CORD. A clamp on amp meter should only be used by trained people. Chances are the park is not gonna let you access the interior of the pedestal. You will have to access your coach panel which has very close quarters. Please be safe.

Butch. 45 year licensed Master Electrician.
No offense, but I've had a clamp on amp-meter for 15 years and I've never been a electrician. I will agree that one really shouldn't be messing around in the parks power pedestal for any reason. Testing an outlet maybe, but that's about it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
No offense, but I've had a clamp on amp-meter for 15 years and I've never been a electrician. I will agree that one really shouldn't be messing around in the parks power pedestal for any reason. Testing an outlet maybe, but that's about it.
Apparently, you have the knowledge to use one. Over the last 50 years, I have met people who shouldn't be in the same room with one.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power