Old 07-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

RV trips GFCI when plugged in to power while stored...

I rent a garage to store my 2015 Charleston. The storage facility provides an 115V, 20A A/C outlet so I can plug in and keep my batteries charged. Has always worked just fine. In addition to charging my batteries, it also runs my fridge so I don't have to unload it between trips.

Recently, my transfer switch blew and was replaced. Ever since this replacement, the storage power keeps tripping the GFCI. Not immediately when I plug in, but sometime later... The storage building requires a GFCI outlet per code, but I'm thinking the new transfer switch has some kind of surge suppression that is causing the problem.

I was just wondering if any of you have had an issue like this, and how did you remedy the problem?

TIA!
Carl

Old 07-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
clr

The main problem is that you a GFCI circuit in series with another GFCI circuit. This configuration is a no no. Since you will not be able to change the storage location GFCI circuit about the only real fix would be to try and turn off all of the circuit breakers for everything except the fridge. Then place a battery maintainer on the batteries and plug it into the circuit somehow. I say this because many time the storage GFCI circuit will have a problem with your converter since it has a switching type power supply.

2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

GFCI Problem

Thanks for the reply! I was wondering if an isolation transformer would do the trick? Not cheap, but would be worth the money to me if it works!

Carl
Old 07-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
clr

An isolation transformer should do the trick, but as you say this is an expensive route to go. That is why I said the battery maintainer and only running the fridge route it would be much cheaper. But would be a little more of a hassle.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

This may seem a bit of a hassle but you could always unplug your refrigerator from the RV in the access area from outside and run an extension cord to the refrigerator, completely bypassing the converter. another extension to the battery maintenance device and you have both running with no double GFCI issues. Cheap and effective.

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #6

eBay to the rescue!

Thanks for all the tips folks! Unfortunately, I have a lot of mobility issues, so I really need to keep things simple with the RV. Searched eBay and found a 1500 Watt isolation transformer for under $200. Hooked it up to the RV today with the power controller set to limit the shore power current draw to 10A. Everything seems happy. Hopefully, this will make the problem go away!

Thanks again!
Carl

Tags
power