Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #1

Safe distance for portable generator.

Have a question I can't seem to find any answers on.
What is the safe distance to run your portable generator away from your travel trailer.
Have found some info for running a generator near your home, but these all seem to be conflicting as to how far it should be kept away.
So what are your thoughts on safe distance from the trailer.
Thanks.
DPS167BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #2

It needs to be located so that exhaust fumes (carbon monoxide!) do not enter the trailer. This will depend on site and wind conditions.
As far as preventing heat damage from the exhaust I would think 3-4' from the RV should be good.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:00 AM   #3

I have always run my EU2000i generator right next to my travel trailer. Now I own a motor home with a generator and it is part of the vehicle with the generator exhaust pipe only a few inches past the sidewall and right under the dinette table window. Since most of us are awake when running generators and all of us should have carbon monoxide detectors in our coaches, doubtful a generator is much different than cooking on the stove in the coach or using the furnace or gas water heater as how far away they should be.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:12 AM   #4

For a house, I've seen 20' as the recommended distance.

For a trailer, it's probably more important that the fumes don't blow toward the trailer and are away from open windows and doors.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #5

Hmm. I would say if you can smell exhaust inside your trailer, your generator is set in the wrong place.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #6

It isn’t just distance,you need to place it downwind as well.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
Site Team

Down wind with the exhaust pointing away.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:43 AM   #8

most generators are located IN the chassis of the coach, and only exhaust inches away... I don't think you have any concerns, other than any noise you don't want right next to you.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

I run my generator on the ground under the back bumper of my pickup. Did this with our tt and now the 5er.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #10

I run a 3000i in an enclosure. The exhaust is diluted/cooled by exiting cooling air so heat isn't a problem.
One More Time Around: 3000i

The Champion on the back bumper of my TT is relatively close to the spare...
One More Time Around: Wolf Pup - Generator

As for CO, we rely on a detector. I like the ones that have a readout so one can keep an eye on levels before an alarm level is reached.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

My champion inverter is mounted on my back bumper. I made an exhaust stack out of electrical conduit, it slips onto gen and goes 3 feet above ladder with a latch holding it to the ladder.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #12

Factory mounted generators are different than the portable units. While the exhaust of the factory mounted units discharges just outside of the side wall of the coach or trailer, there is also a lot of air being blown out behind it from the cooling system that causes any CO to dissipate rapidly.

Portable units need to be a little farther away for safety. I'd follow the same suggestions as for a house. Since most RV's only have a 25' power cord I'd consider running the portable unit at the end of the cord while stretched as far as possible from the RV. Now if there is a constant breeze like at the ocean or similar, there's a lot of latitude.

If one does run a generator while camping IMO a CO detector is mandatory. CO is an insidious poison. It acts on the human body with little sign it's doing so. Unless your exhaust is stinky you'll never notice it. Something not to be taken lightly.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #13

I have two Honda 2200 inverter generators mounted in a aluminum box with lid on the back bumper of our 5th wheel. I installed a 12V automotive radiator fan in the forward wall of box that draws cooler air into the box and forces hotter out through vents on rear side of box. I have a vent that can be opened or closed for each generator exhaust. We never open the windows on rear of trailer, so not too concerned about exhaust fumes.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #14

I would not run a portable generator near my camper. Anything that houses and uses gasoline has the ability to leak fuel and potentially explode.

Please have a fire extinguisher handy with any generator use. I wish manufacturers could switch from carburetors to fuel injected generators. I've seen too many sticky China made carbs leak fuel. Fuel injection would also help with high altitude operations.
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #15

Generators are more dangerous to run in Colder months if running furnace. Always make sure generator is downwind and always from the furnace air intake. Couple killed in Nashville a few years ago when furnace was pulling in generator exhaust while they were sleeping:
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemywife View Post
I would not run a portable generator near my camper. Anything that houses and uses gasoline has the ability to leak fuel and potentially explode.

Please have a fire extinguisher handy with any generator use. I wish manufacturers could switch from carburetors to fuel injected generators. I've seen too many sticky China made carbs leak fuel. Fuel injection would also help with high altitude operations.

This is my concern as well. We place our generators about 15 feet from the trailer where we can see them easily. Fire extinguisher is kept close at hand and I have rehearsed in my mind what action I would take if one of them were to flame.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #17

A fire extinguisher should always be close at hand.

I also agree everyone should be concerned with safety and use common sense in any endeavor. But there is a point in which concerns become phobia.

But with proper maintenance and common sense, portable generators are as safe as anything else that uses fuel. As far as exhaust, again, common sense.

We usually boondock in the backcountry, so our generators are as far from the RV as the 50amp cord is long. But in tight quarters, we have run them very close to our RV, paying attention to exhaust position and open windows. Also, don't usually run them while sleeping unless we need the a/c.

If you are afraid of running your generator, my bet is you just need to educate yourself on proper usage. I have 'helped' other folks when I see them trying to refuel a running or hot generator. Then I show them my extended run tank so they have a better option in the future.

Enjoy camping and don't let all the forums fearmongering detract.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
most generators are located IN the chassis of the coach, and only exhaust inches away... I don't think you have any concerns, other than any noise you don't want right next to you.
X-2
This is not the only comment making this point. Bear in mind that a built-in gen-set will have its exhaust pipe located away from windows and slides. Many are located well forward in the chassis...often near the driver's seat in a motor home. Obviously, keep the driver's window shut.

But the question is puzzling. Since a portable generator probably should be locked up, and since the RV has a shore-power cord that's typically 15' to 20' long, there's no reason to setup the generator right next to the RV. Anything over about 6' away should be safe...even "upwind"...but farther is better for reasons other than CO and "fumes".

Personally, I have a 2KW generator delivering about 15 amps. I actually chain it to a tree at the far end of a 100' 12/3 AWG extension cord to minimize noise and give me the opportunity to find a sturdy tree, point the exhaust in the least obnoxious direction, etc. I want it as far away as is practical. If you are running on generator, one assumes that, in most cases, you are not packed in like sardines.

If you're running a larger generator and pulling 30 amps, it's possible to find good extension cords suited to that purpose. Back to my setup, 12/3 is plenty for 15 amps at 100', but if you're one to insist on every last milliamp and made of money, buy a 10/3 AWG extension cord for 15 amps. Just remember that you can lock your genny to a tree, but that extension cord is pretty valuable in its own right.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #19

My generator sits on the tailgate of my PU in front of my TT. I camp by myself, the generator weighs 120 before adding fuel and don't have the strength to lift it up and down off the tailgate. I use it to run the air conditioner sometimes to cool off the TT and of course the windows are closed or a few minuets to run the microwave. Fire extinguisher is always handy and my alarm works.
Larzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #20

I had a pair of Honda 2000's mounted on the rear bumper of my travel trailer with exhaust pointing to the side. I had no issues.

Tags
generator