Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Question Sandpiper Toyhauler inverter?

05' Sandpiper Sport F37 Toy Hauler.

While I dry camp, running off just the batteries, I will have everything shut off. I can start the generator or plug into shore power and will have everything come back on after a moment. While this assures me the transfer switch is working, I am suspect of the inverter. While on 110v, everything works fine, (with the exception of the lights dimming when I turn other lights on, It's only a 30 amp service.) Am I right to suspect that the inverter is overheating and shutting down? I have been unable to easily locate it to have it tested at a local dealer. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

When you say everything shuts down, does that include DC as well as AC power. What voltage do you have at the batteries when "everything is not working"? Most inverters have a low voltage cutout that shuts the unit off when battery voltage gets to low. When hooked up to shore or the generator, the converter supplies DC power to loads as well as attempting to charge the batteries. If you are losing DC power while dry camping this has nothing to do with the inverter. You may have a circuit breaker with a manual reset located close to the batteries outside. Check for voltage on both sides of this. Try pushing the button if there is one. If you have a voltage difference and there is no button, it is an auto reset type that is not functioning and it needs to be replaced, or it is possible that corrosion buildup on the terminals is your problem.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Just to clarify. A converter takes available AC power from the generator or shore power and converts it to DC for loads and battery charging. An inverter takes battery DC power and inverters it to AC power typically with a limited distribution.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #4

Believe a solution is found

Checked for and found 12v auto reset circuit breaker which I replaced. Tried to duplicate problem, losing all power while on 12v. Turned on lights, radio, etc. and power did go out again but only for about 20 seconds before it came back on. Found my converter (not an inverter, thanks by the way, shooted), and discovered it was only putting out about 11.8 - 12v instead of 13.4v. That will be next to be replaced. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHilbish View Post
Checked for and found 12v auto reset circuit breaker which I replaced. Tried to duplicate problem, losing all power while on 12v. Turned on lights, radio, etc. and power did go out again but only for about 20 seconds before it came back on. Found my converter (not an inverter, thanks by the way, shooted), and discovered it was only putting out about 11.8 - 12v instead of 13.4v. That will be next to be replaced. Thanks again.
Just curious what model of convertor do you have?
I'm just guessing but probably a wfco 55 amp.
if that's the case I would recommend replacing with a intelli power with charge wizard.
I did this with my wfco .
I did not replace the whole unit just the converter. I modded the intelli power converter into the wfco unit. I also upped the amp output from 55 to 70 and it made a big difference!
The whole mod took less than 2 hours as I had to fit the convertor in the wfco case.

Pm me for more info.
Of course you should only attempt this if your comfortable.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #6

70 amp converter

It is a 55 amp wfco. Any long term problems with the 70 amp intelli power? I have lots of space in and behind the converter so that would not be an issue.