Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Satellite hookup

Just picked up our 2014 35QB4, hooked up the satellite receiver have picture and audio in the main room but cannot get the bunk nor master bedroom yo work, anyone have suggestions. The owners manual has no reference for satellite hookups. Help the kids are driving me nuts.
DwightK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

Welcome to FRF! First of all, please tell us what RV you have. (It's best to put that into your user profile and/or signature. The floorplan designation isn't enough.)

What satellite service provider are you using? What receiver model are you using? How did you connect the receiver to the main TV that is working and how do you think you've connected the receiver to the other rooms?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a complex topic.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

We have direct tv, with a genie and clients. I had to put a two way splitter at the back of the trailer, with one going into sat connection for the main box in the living room, and the other in the park cable. Interesting enough, putting the splitter in the living room and then connecting to park cable would not work. It was as if the splitter in and out labels had to be followed.
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #4

We use DirecTV in our home/trailer but I don't know anything about their Genie/Client service so I doubt I'll be much help. From what I understand from your post, your current setup will not work because your park cable input is not going to transfer your satellite signal.

How does the Genie transfer the signal to the client boxes? As a point of reference, we use DirecTV SWM technology (Required for HD) to get satellite signal to all areas of our trailer. I mounted the SWM (Single wire multiswitch) in the cargo bay of the trailer and ran new cable into the bedroom to get signal there.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #5

slide5r4fun, note that Frankm2 is not the OP.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

The genie client box uses the coaxial cable as an Ethernet connection

It probably will not transfer the signal through a splitter
Old 08-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
The genie client box uses the coaxial cable as an Ethernet connection

It probably will not transfer the signal through a splitter
It's supposed to work thru DirecTV-approved splitters.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

you need a receiver at each TV for sat.. well at least I did and I had both sat providers

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
slide5r4fun, note that Frankm2 is not the OP.
Oops, my bad.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #10

Well, I guess it is a mute point if the OP doesn't have a genie. I'm not sure how any other setups work. The genie is my first sat, which is HD, and uses SWM. Since I started explaining it, I'll try to finish explaining how this system will work fine with the exiting wiring in the new trailers.

First, make sure your antenna booster is turn off in the living room.

The sat cable has to enter the trailer via sat connection at outside sat connection. The sat connection would then connect to the sat box in the trailer in the living room. One would think a splitter could be used In The living room to supply the sat signal to the trailers park cable wiring. This would not work in my trailer. I put a Walmart two way splitter on the outside of the trailer, and connected to both the sat and cable connections. Be sure to follow the in and out labels of the splitter.

The cable from the sat connects to the in, and the two outs of the splitter connect to sat and park of the trailer. Apparently, the signal from the main genie box is bidirectional, and will travel from the genie back to the splitter, and then back in the park connection to each connection. I have a genie HD Client in the bunk room, master bedroom, and outside entertainment center.

The wiring in the 2014 FR Haritage Glen lite is a perfect setup for the direct tv genie system, if you know how to set it up.
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite