Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Sealed Coach Batteries....Anyone?

The batteries the came with the coach seem to be pretty worthless. After leaving acid stains on my driveway and the battery track all but disintegrating, I decided, I'm just going to get new batteries.
Has anyone replaced with sealed deep cycle coach batteries? Any preferred brands?
Thanks.....
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #2

I have one of these (DP27MF) in my trailer, seems to be well made and is quite heavy.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...mbzmkePgTmPm2w
Old 11-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #3

That battery has what I think are quite high CCA ratings for a true deep-cycle battery.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

Ya I put two marine deep cycle batteries in my 2012 360. I boiled the original batteries a couple times so I replaced them. The brand makes no difference. I have bought them from Sam's Club and West Marine and others over the years. Group 27's give you more reserve power than Group 24's. There are major battery manufacturers scattered around the country that make private labels for the big retailers like Sears and Wallmart, etc. Never saw much difference between brands but there are differences in capacity and you will see that difference in the prices even within the same brands. Unless you do a lot of boon docking I wouldn't pay the much higher price for the premium battery.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

Just like MGOBlue our tray is all over the street .

Anybody use Optima YELLOWTOP?
http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/products/yellowtop/
"Model: D31A
These batteries are designed for starting and deep cycle applications and for use in vehicles
with large accessory loads."

I wonder how they compare, $/logevity/etc. to the Centennial RV/Marine?
"Centennial RV/Marine batteries have the extra strength to crank up the largest power plants, and the lasting deep cycle capacity to keep your trolling motors, fish finders, RV comforts and accessories running strong with power to spare. Most sizes available maintenance free! NEVER ADD WATER!"

ab&jb
Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOBlue View Post
The batteries the came with the coach seem to be pretty worthless. After leaving acid stains on my driveway and the battery track all but disintegrating, I decided, I'm just going to get new batteries.
Has anyone replaced with sealed deep cycle coach batteries? Any preferred brands?
Thanks.....
I have a question for you. What is the cause of your batteries boiling over? The only thing that I know of is if your batteries are being over charged. Can you please explain if it is your engine battery or your batteries for the unit ? I'm just wondering. You used the word coach.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have a question for you. What is the cause of your batteries boiling over? The only thing that I know of is if your batteries are being over charged. Can you please explain if it is your engine battery or your batteries for the unit ? I'm just wondering. You used the word coach.
It's the two batteries for the unit. The first problem was when the horrible dealer service department overfilled the water in the batteries since I asked them to look at them. They were not holding a charge as long as I expected them to. So these "mechanics" said they needed to only add water.....Ha! The batteries have never been right ever since. Engine battery has been no problem.
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOBlue View Post
It's the two batteries for the unit. The first problem was when the horrible dealer service department overfilled the water in the batteries since I asked them to look at them. They were not holding a charge as long as I expected them to. So these "mechanics" said they needed to only add water.....Ha! The batteries have never been right ever since. Engine battery has been no problem.
I had the same problem from my convertor, my convertor kept charging my batteries all the time, it would never drop down to the float mode at 13.2 . It stayed at 13.6 even when the batteries where fully charged. I was always boiling the water out. I changed my convertor to a progressive and bingo. I turned it on and the charge wizard went from 14.4 to 13.6 and then the first time ever dropped to 13.2 float. ever since I did that it ended my problem. I had a 3 stage WFCO and now a 4 stage Progressive. The 4 stage will bring your charge up to 14.4 for 15 mins every 21 hrs for desulazation and then drop back to 13.2. Not sure if you got a WFCO but if you do I would look there before you add new batteries.......to your unit. Hope this helps you a little.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

Ya the factory charger from Georgetown will overcharge the batteries when there isn't much demand. When the coach is stored I now turn the power on and off periodically so the house batteries don't overcharge. A battery minder is the best solution.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
ME

Second the stock charger or inverter it is a must to switch it out for a better one. Check out modmyrv and handy Bob solar page the second stresses how important proper charging is along with monitoring what you are using the stock set up is crap, educate yourself then decide in what to replace

Tags
led, battery