Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #1
Plano, TX

Shopping for new converter - need reviews

Hello all! Just decided I'm going to upgrade my crappy stock battery/converter setup. I'll be going with two 12V deep cycle AGM batteries. I need a good 3-stage converter that's in the range of 40-45amps. PowerMax seems to be the most popular around but with heavily mixed ratings and reviews. Any recommendations or real live experiences from anyone on a particular brand of smart charger? It would be ideal if it could mount where the OEM converter is, but if it's bigger than that, I have room behind the panel.
Ale_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

Progressive Dynamics would be my first choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Second that

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
Plano, TX

After looking at the Progressive Dynamics website, it looks like they require the Charge Wizard which turns the converter into a 4-stage charger. I really only need a 3-stage charger because AGM batteries do not need to be equalized. Also, temperature compensation is an important feature. So far, the only one I've found that has temperature compensation and a nice battery monitor that's relatively cheap and easy to install is by Xantrex. Anyone have experience with these chargers?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 02-02-2017, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale_Brewer View Post
After looking at the Progressive Dynamics website, it looks like they require the Charge Wizard which turns the converter into a 4-stage charger. I really only need a 3-stage charger because AGM batteries do not need to be equalized. Also, temperature compensation is an important feature. So far, the only one I've found that has temperature compensation and a nice battery monitor that's relatively cheap and easy to install is by Xantrex. Anyone have experience with these chargers?

I replaced my WFCO converter/panel with a Progressive Dynamics because the WFCO never went into trickle mode, and I was never sure about boost mode. And I use standard flooded 6V golf cart batteries ($150 for two at Costco). The PD gives me worry-free charging of my batteries.

I understand your point about not needing equalization for AGM batteries.

But I wouldn't make a big deal about temperature compensation, either. The temperature compensation helps optimize the charge rate of the batteries, letting you charge at a little bit higher voltage when battery conditions are right. But unless you are recharging with a generator a difference of 5 or 10 minutes or even an hour in charge time isn't going to matter in the slightest.

My other concern with temperature compensation is the location of the sensor. If the sensor is in the converter, and not the battery box, it's reading the wrong temperature, and setting you up to charge at the wrong rate. If the sensor is in the battery box, you have to run wiring to it from the converter, and then you have to know whether the sensor should be above the batteries, beside them, or whatever to give the correct info to the converter.

Your chosen converter does have separate charging algorithms for different battery types, which in theory should do a better job with your AGM batteries. But the key is in the reliability of the converter doing its job according to spec. WFCO converters have pretty good operating specs listed on their web page. But I wonder how many WFCO converters actually meet their specs in everyday operation? Mine didn't.

just my thoughts
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Plano, TX

Good point about the temperature measurement location. I was only concerned with temperature compensation because of the manufacturer's recommendation. What does WFCO stand for? I guess I was a little put off by the PD brand because it looks like it's pretty cheaply constructed and the "interface" is kind of crappy IMO
Old 02-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

Charger AGM VS Flooded Cell?

Progress Dynamics charger have equalization mode which is automatic & charges at a higher voltage periodically for flooded cell batteries. Isn't this bad for AGM batteries? My understanding is that AGM should not be charged at a high voltage to avoid damage.

I understand AGM batteries recharge faster & can be discharged more than flooded cell without damage. I would like to replace my flooded cell with AGM but my charger is a Progress Dynamics but fear charging damage to AGM batteries.

Is my thinking correct? Opinions?
larry.mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Plano, TX

It really depends on the manufacturer of the battery but generally speaking you are correct. Most manufacturers of AGM batteries will say that equalization or desulfation is not necessary but I won't hurt anything. Some will tell you not to do it. That's the biggest reason I don't want a PD brand converter because it looks like they all have the built-in equalization mode and it doesn't look like it can be disabled. My batteries are made by Fullriver and they recommend staying away from the 4th stage of charging.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #9

BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

Give them a call. You can't go wrong here.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

http://www.bestconverter.com/Boondoc...rs-_c_154.html

Here is the article for AGM

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #11

1. AGMS can be safely charged at MUCH higher amp rates than wet cell and you'll have somewhere around 200 amp hours of batteries so I would get the charger in the 90 amp range to cut your recharge time nearly in half with the generator when you are in the boonies. The savings in gas and wear& tear will pay for the charger.
2. I would never buy a Xantrex even though they make some fine products...warranty and parts service simply sucks...and I've seen it happen far too often to people...it is not just a bad personal experience.
3. You don't have to worry about the short term EQ cycles that are automatic pm either progressive or Iota chargers...the voltage, amps and duration are not high enough to do damage and AGM's are tolerant of some EQ.
4. I think both Progressive with the Wizard and Iota with their IQ4 dongle are both excellent products and would serve you well. If it were me...I'd buy the Iota DLS90/IQ4...or at least the DLS75/IQ4
These are recommended if you are gonna be boondocking. If you are buying just for the convenience or low maintenence, low passive loss in storage...then you can certainly use one in the 40-50amp range....even as low as 20-25 amps will get the job done if you're plugged in.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #12

I replaced mine several years ago with a 4 stage Boondocker (45 amps) from Best Converter

I wrote a short article on my web site.

Upgrading converter to 4 stage | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

If I were doing it again, I would not cut out the old converter. I'd leave it in but disconnect it from the 12 volt distribution board. I'd then mount the new converter behind the old converter and wire it into the 12 volt distribution board.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #13

Progressive Dynamics is the only one I would consider. As soon as I buy a trailer I remove the WFCO and replace it with the Progressive Dynamics.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
1. AGMS can be safely charged at MUCH higher amp rates than wet cell and you'll have somewhere around 200 amp hours of batteries so I would get the charger in the 90 amp range to cut your recharge time nearly in half with the generator when you are in the boonies. The savings in gas and wear& tear will pay for the charger.
2. I would never buy a Xantrex even though they make some fine products...warranty and parts service simply sucks...and I've seen it happen far too often to people...it is not just a bad personal experience.
3. You don't have to worry about the short term EQ cycles that are automatic pm either progressive or Iota chargers...the voltage, amps and duration are not high enough to do damage and AGM's are tolerant of some EQ.
4. I think both Progressive with the Wizard and Iota with their IQ4 dongle are both excellent products and would serve you well. If it were me...I'd buy the Iota DLS90/IQ4...or at least the DLS75/IQ4
These are recommended if you are gonna be boondocking. If you are buying just for the convenience or low maintenence, low passive loss in storage...then you can certainly use one in the 40-50amp range....even as low as 20-25 amps will get the job done if you're plugged in.
I e-mailed the tech guru at Fullriver and he told me that the amperage of the charger should be no more than 20% of the total 20aH capacity, with the maximum allowable being 35%. This means recommended charge amperage for 210aH would be 42 amps. He also recommended a 3-stage charger over a 4-stage, and the Boondocker was the model we were discussing. Also, he specifically recommended the Xantrex brand. Another thing was depth of discharge. I've always heard you can almost kill the batteries before charging fully and they will be fine. He showed me a chart that compares depth of discharge vs. battery life. They recommend no more than 20% discharge at rate the batteries at 5,000 cycles. If you drop down to 90% discharge, battery life is cut by 90% with it the expected life at only 500 cycles. FWIW, this was straight from the manufacturer. All that being said, I do kinda dig the price point of the Iota w/ IQ4. Looking at the 45amp model. 20% discharge is 42aH, should be back to fully charged in 1 hr. We don't a whole lot of boon docking, but when we do, I just want the increased battery capacity mainly just so we don't have the run the generator all day and night for basic things. The Interstate deep cycle marine battery won't last 8 hours with the furnace on, and I want a better converter so I don't kill the new batteries.

Tags
converter