Old 08-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Shore power issue

Dynamax ISATA 5 (2017) - Just returned from the repair facility where they did some electrical work on entry lights and step LED strip. When we arrived home and plugged into shore power - there is no power to anything from shore power. Inverter works fine. Have power to the unit so that is not the issue. Any suggestions on something they might have done while working at the shop that would have affected this? All was working fine before we took it to have some minor lighting issues looked at. We have reset all breakers that we are aware of on this unit with no affect.

dwmelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #2

do you have any 110 vac power? plug in shore power and try to turn on an air conditioner or plug a 110 vac device into a receptacle. the receptacle may be on a string downstream from a tripped gcfi so watch out for that. can you measure voltage with a multi meter? check to see if you actually have 110 vac entering the main breaker in the panel. I would think that the 110 vac outage is just a breaker that is off. as for the 12 vdc stuff you say the inverter works. how about the battery cutoff switch? they could easily have turned it off to prevent 12 vdc power from flowing while they were working on the lights.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions - 12 vdc working fine. Unable to get any 110vac via shore power - so batteries are not charging via 110vac - however batteries are charging via chassis engine power, and solar. Have reset every breaker we can find, including the generator reset switch. Unit just spent three weeks in the shop to fix two minor lighting issues - so this is highly frustrating to have it return in worse shape than it left.

Our Refrigerator only works on 110vac. When the inverter is on - Refrigerator is working. When the inverter is off - refrigerator off. Which says it is not receiving any AC power. We have power to the main breaker and that has been reset a couple of times now.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #4

wow! please excuse me if I ask too much. you say you have 110 vac power to the main breaker. how do you know this? did you measure it with a multimeter? can you measure the voltage on the refrigerator circuit breaker? this will tell if you have 110 vac power leaving the panel on the circuit running to the refrigerator. if you do not have this the problem has to be a circuit breaker in the panel (again you said you have 110 vac to the main breaker). if you have 110 vac on the refrigerator circuit th should go to either a small transfer switch of the inverter. some inverters have a bypass feature that passes 110vac through it when it senses shore power. others use a small transfer switch to switch between shore power or inverter output. but I would not expect any of this to have been touched if all they were doing was 12 dc work.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #5

Shore power good up to the plug-in on rhe side of the motorhome, checked with multimeter. Not sure if power is getting through the automatic bus transfer (ABT) switch. Low fuel so can't start the generator to see if power will get through using that power source. Dark now so it will wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #6

if you have a multimeter just plug into shore power and see if you are getting shore power into the trailer. or just turn the a/c on. if it comes on you are getting shore power into the trailer. or you could test for shore power in the distribution box. do you have an ems unit in the shore power feed? if so, is it showing an error and keeping shore power from getting into the trailer?
Old 08-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #7

No 120v power to plugs, checked it with a multimeter. A/C will not turn on. Will continue troublshooting tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmelton View Post
Shore power good up to the plug-in on rhe side of the motorhome, checked with multimeter. Not sure if power is getting through the automatic bus transfer (ABT) switch. Low fuel so can't start the generator to see if power will get through using that power source. Dark now so it will wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.
Are you referring to what is commonly called an Automatic Transfer Switch/ATS, which automatically switches between shore power or generator, as the source of 120 volt AC power?

This is where I would suggest looking for the problem, if equipped with an ATS, as it sounds like it is preventing 120 volt AC power.

EDIT: I just glanced at the website and see you do indeed have an ATS.

http://dynamaxcorp.com/product-detai...29&Image=12937

It also states the RV is 50 amp (two incoming hot legs of 120 volt). Can I ask what you are plugged into at home, and/if you are using any kind of adapter to the shore power cord?

Not being familiar with your motorhome and it's inverter capability, how does that work in connection with 120 volt AC power with either shore power or generator.

"Yes,we have reservations..but we'll eat here anyway!"...is what I say to every greeting host/hostess in a restaurant!
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #9

Yes, I am referring to the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS). Sorry, I am used to using Navy terminology, Today I got the generator running and I have power to the appliances and power outlets, so everything inside the unit seems to be working fine. I have power up to the end of the cord but no power inside the motorhome. At this point, I think the ATS has some problem and I am at the limit of my troubleshooting abilities as well as voiding the warranty if I open it up. Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #10

I have a 30-amp power outlet at my house, I checked the power all the way to the end of the power cord that runs into my motorhome with a multimeter, All power checks out, so I am afraid it might just be the ATS. The generator seems to provide power to the motorhome just fine, the inverter can provide AC power (when I turn it on) from the battery, The power management system that controls the inverter indicates that it is not detecting 120 AC power. The only thing I can think of that is in between the power cord and the power management system is the ATS.

Tags
dynamax isata 5, power