Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #1

Shore Power to Residential Home

Hello all. Can someone tell me the cheapest, most uncomplicated way to connect the trailer to my home power and be able to run my ac without throwing breakers? I currently plug into a wall outlet on a 15 amp breaker and it keeps tripping. Can I just up my Guage of extension cord? Change out the breaker for a 20 amp without rewiring the panel? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Hapy.Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do it right or DON'T do it.
Run 30 amp service and appropriate wiring.
10 ga I believe.

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
New to Forest River

There are a couple of questions:
What is gauge of current ext cord?
How long is the cord?
What else is on the 15 amp circuit?
What else is running in TT?

Use at 12 ga cord with minimum length.
Minimize any other appliances on circuit.
Unless the circuit is wired with 12ga wire you should not just swap the 15 amp breaker for a 20 amp breaker.

Ron

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 07-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #4

I had an electrician come out and do it, and parts & labor was less than $200. Additionally, although my current trailer is only 30 AMP, i went ahead and had him wire it and put in a 50 AMP plug in the hopes that we may get a fifth wheel in the future. Of course, the length of the run was not an issue, as my breaker box in my garage was on one of the exterior walls and he drilled through the wall and mounted the receptacle on the outside.

We then bought a dogbone adapter that goes 50 to 30 and now run the AC when we are loading and unloading the toyhauler and it makes a world of difference. I think its supposed to be over 100 in Boise again today!

Matt
Old 07-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

I had a contractor bid on doing the RV dedicated 30 amp outlet, and got a $1250 bid. It was a long way from the breaker panel to the RV pad. I passed on that. I just don't run my A/C while I'm parked at home.

If you put in a larger extension cord it won't keep you from popping breakers; quite the opposite. It'll keep the temperature down on the cord itself, however.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Ron View Post
There are a couple of questions:
What is gauge of current ext cord?
How long is the cord?
What else is on the 15 amp circuit?
What else is running in TT?

Use at 12 ga cord with minimum length.
Minimize any other appliances on circuit.
Unless the circuit is wired with 12ga wire you should not just swap the 15 amp breaker for a 20 amp breaker.

Ron

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Good place to start! 1)You might be ok with a heavy duty extension cord. What the heck, buy one and try it. You could probably use one anyway. Don't be cheap, look for at least a 12 ga. and only as long as needed. If your outlet isn't too far, just get a rv extension cord and a outlet adapter and skip the HD extension cord. 2) As stated above, eliminating all unnecessary loads...turn off the electric part of the hot water heater, turn the fridge to gas, etc. Try doing this along with the better cord. 3) last resort is installing the proper outlet. Eventually you may want to do this, but first start off with #1&2. You might be ok.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #7

Just do it right the first time and be done with it. Have a 30 amp 120 volt breaker installed in your panel and run a dedicated line out to a wall where your rig is parked, install an outdoor box with the proper outlet and your done. I did my own and cost was under 100 bucks, and that is what a good 10 gauge 50 foot extension cord will cost you.
Doesn't matter what size, gauge, or length extension cord you use, your still going to trip breakers when you start turning on stuff, maybe not just one item, but when you start turning on lights, or something in your garage, it will start tripping breakers.
By the time you've bought extension cords and adapters, you will have spent enough to do it properly.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #8

Just finished doing mine. Breaker box on side of house. Used 10 gauge and 75 feet. Have 50 amp on 5th wheel so used a dogbone down to 30 amp. Cost was 140.00. Most stuff from Home Depot. In Arizona you need AIR! Loading and unloading.
fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #9

Thanks all. I wanna do it right and you all helped convince the DW.
Hapy.Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapy.Trainer View Post
Thanks all. I wanna do it right and you all helped convince the DW.
Good, The 15 amp circuit will not run a 13 or 15K AC unit for very long, will heat the undersize wire and very possibly burn your house down

I put one in on the outside wall of the garage, 30 amp circuit and lockable box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-29 19.30.31.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	59241   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-29 19.30.42.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	59242  
Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Good, The 15 amp circuit will not run a 13 or 15K AC unit for very long, will heat the undersize wire and very possibly burn your house down

I put one in on the outside wall of the garage, 30 amp circuit and lockable box.
And or provide low voltage into your trailer and ruin your a/c and maybe more.

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power