Old 06-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Unhappy Short from converter to refrigerator Solved

I had my refrigerator cooling down for 24 hours. The morning we were going to go camping I noticed it had switched to 12VDC and gas instead of 120V AC. When I checked the 2 30 amp fuses in the DC side they were blown, also the breaker was thrown on the AC side. I tried resetting the breaker but it will not reset. The 2 30 amp fuses keep blowing when I try to put new ones in. I pulled the wire from the breaker that goes to the refrigerator and checked it for a short with an ohm meter from the wire to the panel metal and it shows to be a completed circuit which shows me that there is a direct short on the AC side. Does any one have any idea where it might short out too or what the problem could be??

BretA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
The two big 30 amp fuses handle all the DC power from the converter. Now with them removed, can you reset the breaker for the converter? Since you didn't specify the breaker for the converter, or the refer. Since you pulled the wire for the refer, and it had direct short, go outside and open the lower panel for the refer. Find the plug where it plugs it, regular 110 house plug, and unplug it. Re check your wire with a meter. You can also hook your refer up through and extension cord to the house, and see if it trips a breaker there. Good luck.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Thank you. I checked the receptacle at the 110 plug in for the refrigerator. It showed a direct short so I pulled the wiring out and checked the circuits. One of the wires goes to a receptacle up by the bed and it was the faulty wire. I did not have time to look at it completely, but I am going to pull a new wire and just replace it. There is a short somewhere between the two receptacles.
BretA is offline   Reply With Quote