Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Shorted POS and NEG, any damage?

Hi there. Had a mis-hap today when removing my battery for the winter:

I was using a wrench to loosen off the nuts holding the battery leads down to the posts. For some reason (and I know not to do this, doh!) I did the positive one first. When turning it I touched the wrench to the rock guard on the trailer causing a short circuit. I know this because the ring I was wearing (I know not to do this also, DOH!) was touching the wrench as well and heated up and burned around my entire finger.

I was pretty shaken up and wanted to get back to the house to dress up my finger so I just finished taking off the battery and went home, didn't check for damage. When I go to reconnect my battery and use the electrical systems should I expect any damage?
ckramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #2

Not much , if any !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

If anything you would only blow the fuse, you should be alright.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

You may have blown a fuse ............. maybe.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #5

That's good to hear. Thanks fellas!
Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

Look for one like this.

You may need to Press the small black button.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
DDC

Just lucky it did not blow up on you, doubt there is any damage or fuses blown but the place where you hit may be burnt or melted a little.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Just lucky it did not blow up on you, doubt there is any damage or fuses blown but the place where you hit may be burnt or melted a little.
Burnt the ring! The wrench has a dark spot on it now as well.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post

You may need to Press the small black button.
Ah yes. I've had to use this before. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #10

You will have no damage. If you shorted between the positive battery terminal and ground, via your ring, no critical trailer wiring or devices was involved, just the ground cable from battery to the frame. It's just like shorting across the battery. If it was for more than a few seconds you might have damaged the battery.

In my youth I had a battery on my workbench with a battery charger hooked to it. Bumped the cable and the charging clamp twisted down and hit the other battery post. After about 2 seconds the top of the battery blew off. Since then I have always had a cautious respect for the power of a car battery.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
You will have no damage. If you shorted between the positive battery terminal and ground, via your ring, no critical trailer wiring or devices was involved, just the ground cable from battery to the frame. It's just like shorting across the battery. If it was for more than a few seconds you might have damaged the battery.

In my youth I had a battery on my workbench with a battery charger hooked to it. Bumped the cable and the charging clamp twisted down and hit the other battery post. After about 2 seconds the top of the battery blew off. Since then I have always had a cautious respect for the power of a car battery.
Mine's a renewed respect. I have no shortage of experience with working with batteries, but I do tend to let safety precautions slide in favour of speeding things up. Stupid...

After I let go of the wrench it stayed on the post touching the rock guard, for probably 5 seconds. I will definitely be putting a new on next spring.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #12

I didn't think the story was true, but my mechanic told me about some guy he knew fishing around under a dash shorting wires with his wedding ring. It turned red hot and he jerked back and peeled all the skin off his finger. You were lucky.

A 5 second dead short on the terminals with a wrench could have caused some damage - there would have been hundreds of amps flowing through the plates. Probably the easiest way to tell is if the electrolyte in any of the cells has gone cloudy or if the fully-charged rest voltage is below 12.8. Just be sure to remove your jewelry and wear eye protection when you check.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #13

I almost lost my finger the same way when I was first starting to work on cars. Gold is a very good conductor!

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #14

My solution to this potential problem is to never use a wrench to remove battery cables.

I use a socket and a composite driver from Harbor Freight. It's one of the best $6 RV tools I have.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
My solution to this potential problem is to never use a wrench to remove battery cables.

I use a socket and a composite driver from Harbor Freight. It's one of the best $6 RV tools I have.

Phil
That is a fantastic suggestion!
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #16

Your very lucky the battery did not explode! When I was a teen I did the same thing shorting out a car battery. The battery exploded spraying acid every ware. God smiled on me and I was not hurt. My clothes were destroyed along with the cars paint. Hope the finger heals fast. My work will not let me ware the ring of fire at work for safety reasons as I work with electricity there.

Get healed up Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote