Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Shunt connection question

I couldn't find an answer...



The connections shown are my batteries. I will be connecting the ground from the charger here as well, which is being located in the front storage compartment. The existing ground runs to the frame which will take the 4th spot on the bar.

Am I right in that my shunt will go between the bus bar and the chassis ground? There currently is no ground running from the batteries back to the panel nor will there be one from the relocated charger back to the panel. At least not yet.
__________________

__________________
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
I couldn't find an answer...



The connections shown are my batteries. I will be connecting the ground from the charger here as well, which is being located in the front storage compartment. The existing ground runs to the frame which will take the 4th spot on the bar.

Am I right in that my shunt will go between the bus bar and the chassis ground? There currently is no ground running from the batteries back to the panel nor will there be one from the relocated charger back to the panel. At least not yet.
If you connect the charger to the batteries directly (i.e. not through the shunt) the system will not "see" the recharge current and not be able to calculate the net charge on the batteries. The charger ground needs to go to the chassis so that the charging current will also go through the shunt and not around it.
__________________

__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
If you connect the charger to the batteries directly (i.e. not through the shunt) the system will not "see" the recharge current and not be able to calculate the net charge on the batteries. The charger ground needs to go to the chassis so that the charging current will also go through the shunt and not around it.
It will go to the chassis via the distribution bar.....

1 line coming from the existing chassis ground to the distribution bar... Then both batteries and charger grounds go to distribution bar.

I think I just answered my own question.... Or did I?
__________________
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
It will go to the chassis via the distribution bar.....

1 line coming from the existing chassis ground to the distribution bar... Then both batteries and charger grounds go to distribution bar.

I think I just answered my own question.... Or did I?
The charger negative has to go through the shunt. If it doesn't the shunt will not measure the charger current. If you put it on the buss bar and disconnect the chassis ground from the shunt, the charger will charge anyway since it can get to the battery negative. This means that the shunt can't see that current and this will mean that your meter cannot see it either.
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
The charger negative has to go through the shunt. If it doesn't the shunt will not measure the charger current. If you put it on the buss bar and disconnect the chassis ground from the shunt, the charger will charge anyway since it can get to the battery negative. This means that the shunt can't see that current and this will mean that your meter cannot see it either.
BTW, I'm dense so I apologize now. Thank you for taking the time to spell this out for me.

So if I'm reading you right, my negative wiring needs to go...

Black from charger, to shunt, to buss bar.... and from buss bar to batteries and chassis ground.
__________________
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
BTW, I'm dense so I apologize now. Thank you for taking the time to spell this out for me.

So if I'm reading you right, my negative wiring needs to go...

Black from charger, to shunt, to buss bar.... and from buss bar to batteries and chassis ground.
OK...but it needs to go on the FAR side of the shunt, away from the bus bar and on the same side of the shunt as the chassis ground connection.
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
OK...but it needs to go on the FAR side of the shunt, away from the bus bar and on the same side of the shunt as the chassis ground connection.
Getting close...

So I only want my batteries connected to the buss bar....

If I eliminate the buss bar, just using the shunt, I would have the charger and chassis ground on one post and my 2 battery negatives on the other, right....
__________________
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Getting close...

So I only want my batteries connected to the buss bar....

If I eliminate the buss bar, just using the shunt, I would have the charger and chassis ground on one post and my 2 battery negatives on the other, right....
Yep. Technically that would do it, presuming that you mean the "posts" of your shunt. However, I assume that they are 12 volt, so battery number one's positive post has the load from the coach and a short positive wire to battery number two's positive post. You should run a negative to the shunt from battery number two's negative post and a short negative from that post to the negative on battery number one.. That way both batteries have equal length cables, one with a short red to the other and the second with a short black.

This way both batteries see equal load and equal charge with one having a shorter negative path and the other having a shorter positive path. Like the 12 volt in the diagram.

__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Yep. that will do it. Presuming that you mean the "posts" of your shunt.
Yes.

Thanks again.

Sent from a field
__________________
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 446
Wiring Diagram

The shunt goes in the negative wiring between the battery bank and the negative bus bar. See image from a website explaining. Send me a PM for additional info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OFF-GRID Integrated.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	104972  
__________________

__________________
'17 270S
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.