Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #1

Simple Bulb Replacement NOT !!!!!!

Well the outside bulbs on my flood lights blew out. One last year and now the other. I did not use them much but thought I would replace the bulbs. These are the 7 inch lights up high near the front on both sides. The holes for the 4 screws are filled with white caulk. That needs to be removed with a drill bit or a small flat screwdriver. It totally s%^ks to get them cleaned out. Now remove the 4 phillip head machine screws. NOT. they are stainless screwed into steel with the heads filled with caulk. That s%^ked more to get them out than the caulk. The simple part was replacing the bulb. Now I need to replace the machine screws because the heads are all stripped out. I am trying to figure if I should replace the caulk or not. Anyone else suffer through this bulb replacement?
Wally
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

On my old trailer the scare lights had gaskets between the lens and the housing that were exposed when the screws were removed. There was no caulking on the lens that would have covered the screw holes.
Do your lights have the gaskets? The gaskets should prevent the water from going into the housing or the wall around the lens and might have sealed the screw holes when OEM.
If it was me, BEFORE I re-installed the lens cover, I would pump some Decor non- sag or silicone into the 4 screw holes through the base plate, install lens cover with the 4 screws and NOT fill the lens holes with caulking. The screw holes would get sealed when you replaced the screws.
Sounds like it was a PITA, I am sure you do not want to go through that again.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Toy-aholic

I too, had to do the same thing....the nitwits at the factory get caulk nutz and make a simple job a real pita!!! I did not re-caulk the holes...only way water is going to get into those sunkin holes is with a pressure washer and Hommey don't do dat!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #4

We have a 2012 Sandpiper 5th Wheel, the light fixtures in the kitchen are pin lights. The bulb is a push and twist bulb and we cannot get our hand inside the shade to get the bulb to pull out. How do you get the bulb out?
kengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengrace View Post
We have a 2012 Sandpiper 5th Wheel, the light fixtures in the kitchen are pin lights. The bulb is a push and twist bulb and we cannot get our hand inside the shade to get the bulb to pull out. How do you get the bulb out?
That is tough to reach- for my pendant lights above the counter too.
Long or small hands come in 'handy' for this.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #6

I bought a piece of clear tubing from Home Depot , 1 inch clear tubing, a piece about 6 inches long, slide it up and over the bulb, push up Bentley and twist it out, it worked for me, give it a try
wanderer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #7

We just did the same thing this last weekend, Fun it was “NOT” didn’t have caulking in the screws but the gasket behind the lens was not fun. I have heard stories of people getting water leaks behind this lens and having major water problems in the wall. It was a challenge getting the gasket to line up behind the lens, finally got it after awhile.

Tags
replacement