Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #11

Thanks Herk, that document is the same Winegard I have. Looks like a spring project. May be I can run some wire to a front closet, that would be as close to the battery as I could get and keep the inverter inside. Guess its not so simple after all.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

...The inverter needs to be as close to the battery as possible and keep it out of the rain....
On my last 5th wheel I had an inexpensive 800w inverter to power the 22" TV and accessories such as a DVD player or satellite box. It worked fantastic, we could watch news in the morning and then 2-3 hours at night off of the dual 12v batteries. (We had solar panels too which would have the batteries back up by noon everyday.)

Herk is correct in that the inverter needs to be close to the batteries, run heavy wire from the batteries to the inverter and then go the distance to your TV with an AC extension cord.

I mounted mine in the front compartment so it meant going out to turn it on or off. There are some more expensive inverters that have a remote switch but this one did fine for me.

Our new Columbus 295 is coming with a generator but I plan on doing the same thing for it. I hate generator noise...

• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #13

I'm just throwing this out there since I'm not electrically "wired". I've used 2000w inverters (whole house) in my last two 5ers with great results. My neighbor did all the connections, I just ran the welding cable and wiring. Only used it for watching TV. Now just use quiet Honda genny.
Anyway, my neighbor is the electrical guy and he somehow wired his LCD TV in his boat to run on 12 volts. Not sure how he did it (he's moved), but maybe this is another option if TV is the only need.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Not-so-Junior Member

I purchase a Wagan Tech 3000 Watt Power Inverter from my local Costco for $299 that has a remote switch so it can be turned on & off from inside. It also has a 6000 watt peak rating and include the DC cables. I hope to install it when our Columbus arrives and I determine if it will fit in a suitable place.

It has 2 AC sockets for extension cords, etc. Plus a power block to run directly into the rigs AC circuits.

Besides space and location issues I would want to study the "modified" vs "pure" sine wave issue. Being a plug 'n play kinda guy, I want to know if the inverter is outputting clean enough current to run electronics safely...
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Nothing is ever simple.

As I posted in several other threads, "going big" when you are talking about inverters is never a good idea. For example, your 3000 watt continuous inverter when connected to a 3000 watt load will require 250 amps from your battery.

Due to the Peukert effect, the more amps you try to suck out of those thick lead deep cycle plates, the less sustainable capacity the battery has. In order to keep your supply constant, you should plan on never asking for more than 30% of a completely charged battery because that will reduce the capacity of the battery to 54% of its rating. (see graph)

(A 100 AH battery asked to deliver 30 amps will have an effective capacity of 54% or 54 AH. When you want to know how long the battery will last; you divide 54 by 30 and that is how long in hours the battery will last till the voltage drops below 10.5 volts - 1.8 hours)

To supply 250 amps for 1.8 hours @ 30 amps per battery will require 9 - 12 volt 100AH batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	23782  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf What is the Peukert Effect.pdf (164.4 KB, 8 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #16

I did buy the Cobra CPI 480 400-Watt from Amazon. All I need it for is for morning TV watching when I don't have the gen. I'll install it in my basement in the spring. Thanks for everyone's input. As always, much appreciated.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #17

This is how I did mine
Old 02-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #18

Very professional install raceday! It looks like you have a dedicated battery. True?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
Very professional install raceday! It looks like you have a dedicated battery. True?
No just 2 deep cycle and the gray plug up top plugs into a bank of 20amp gel cells I made up if i need it, The little plug on the lower right is for a Battery Plus to keep them up and not have to run the onboard charger
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #20

Nice! This is a model I will follow in the spring. Thanks for the photo's.