Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

Slide out electrical short (Solved)

I have had a short in the light over my table. It kept blowing light bulbs, the smaller lights that have 2 contact points. The hardware guy said it sounds like a short. That was the only place that gave me a problem. A couple of days ago, the light over the sofa, when turned on was OK, but when it was turned off, the table light came on. (I have checked for poltrigiests.) Suddenly, neither light would work. I went ouside and found a cable that ran up the front right outer edge of the slideout. There are 3 wieres, a green, a white and a black. The green (ground line) is not connected to anything. The other two seem intact. I used a multimete inside and found that there is no voltage going through either light fixture. I suspect a short somewhere in the space above the ceiling of the slideout. I can't figure out how to get into it to trace the wire unless I dismantle the ceiling. Anyone have any ideas?
hepkess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepkess View Post
I suspect a short somewhere in the space above the ceiling of the slideout. I can't figure out how to get into it to trace the wire unless I dismantle the ceiling. Anyone have any ideas?
I would suspect a short under the slideout before a short in the ceiling. While is is certainly possible for a screw to pierce the wires, it is more likely to be pinched by a moving part.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

Added info

Thanks for the quick reply. I have other info that might change the diagnosis. Looking back, the problem has been there from soon after I bought it. We have only had it on the road for less than 400 miles. (2004) I just never felt it was anything that could have been under warranty. I'm fairly sure it is in the ceiling. I am going to poke around with the meter and try to localize the short. I'll be back for an update when I find where this leads me. I am disappointed that GE doesn't have schematics.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepkess View Post
I am disappointed that GE doesn't have schematics.
GE?
No one has schematics.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Schematicss

FR or Forests River. I posted the above on my Phone. The phone thinks it knows everything and changes a lot of my text. GE is it's way of showing me who is boss. Yeah, I have found a lot of people on this forum have commented about that. I'm gonna start at the power inverter and try to work my way back. Well, it keeps me busy.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

From the original post, "There are 3 wieres, a green, a white and a black. The green (ground line) is not connected to anything." The green wire should be "frame" ground. If there are no AC outlets in the slide, then it really isn't important. The black should have "plus 12 volt, dc. and the white should be "negative or ground" 12 volt dc. The best way to check. is get a long piece of wire, 10 foot or so. Strip a good 6 inches. Now remove the stove top, and wrap around the copper gas line. THIS IS A DEFINITE 12 VOLT GROUND. Now connect the other lead to the negative probe on your meter, and start checking wiring. I would not pull the ceiling panels yet, but would pull all the light fixtures out. A lot of times there is a lot of wire up there, and many splices. Check all the black wires for 12 volts. If they all work, check all the white wires by using the ohm function, and they should show continuity, (shorted) back to the copper gas line. Hope you understand this and it helps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

On mine there is a wire loom at the lower edge of the slide out. I removed the plastic cover only to find the wires going to the slide out were attached with butt joints. The wires were not inserted into the connections far enough to be crimped. With the movement of the slide the wires finally cam disconnected. This might be a place to start.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
On mine there is a wire loom at the lower edge of the slide out. I removed the plastic cover only to find the wires going to the slide out were attached with butt joints. The wires were not inserted into the connections far enough to be crimped. With the movement of the slide the wires finally cam disconnected. This might be a place to start.
Excellent. I am sure this is a similar issue.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #9

Slide out

I have finally figured that the short has to be between the wires going into the slide out, to someplace along or at the Power Center. I can only follow the wires into the frame so far. I'm looking for a wiring diagram now to see if the Power Center is OK, then It is on down to see if there is a break somewhere in between. I have a cheap $3 Cen-tech Digital Multimeter that has a different scale that all the ones I can see pictured online. I'm just going to try the voltage test I use for household batteries and see what happens. Thanks for the support, I'll keep you posted, anything that can help someones else going thru these problems can use the help.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Depending on the distance from the power center to the slide motor, it might be advantageous to just get another length of similar wire, disconnect at the motor, solder the new wire to the old and start threading the new wire into the power center. 2 person job.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Depending on the distance from the power center to the slide motor, it might be advantageous to just get another length of similar wire, disconnect at the motor, solder the new wire to the old and start threading the new wire into the power center. 2 person job.
If my camper is any indication of yours, the wires are not tied down to anything; they just hang there. You might be able to use the old wire as a "fish" to pull the new one through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 023.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	13953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 024.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	13954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 022.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	13955  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #12

The Slideout Short Dilema

OK, I went thru everything. I followed all the wiring I could. The curly cable to the slide out went into the underbelly of the RV driectly at the end of the curly cord. I looked and I saw the damndest thing, 2 little blue tabs that had 3 slots for 3 wieres each. I pulled out the little plug and I saw 2 wires going into each one. In one, I saw a ground wire. I went back to the slideout, and loked a the green ground that I read here was not attached to anything. I attached it to the negative lead, and son of a gun, the lights came on. If that ground wire is not attached, hook it back up and save yourself 3 days of head banging. Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. See you next time something goes wonky!
Tony
Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #13

Glad you found the problem. The quick connect fittings might make the wiring easier for the workers at the factory but can be a PITA when they come apart.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #14

Wonky stuff

Yeah, the quick connectors are one, the square headed screws can be a problem, especially when working with 3rd party add ins that have standard phillips screws, rough when you forget your glasses. I have found that the connectors for water lines are Forest River are very short, they pop out easily and are better replaced with longer ones.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

Good thread.
Thanks to the OP for sharing your solution.
Too many times we are left hanging by an OP on whether or not the suggested fixes worked.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad